Would you switch to a big 5.5" phablet like the OnePlus One, if it offers you flagship specs at half price?
0. phoneArena 24 Apr 2014, 08:57 posted on
The OnePlus One announcement must have put the big names in the mobile industry in a jiffy to respond, as it's essentially a $300 phone that carries the specs of a $600 handset from a major manufacturer, and then some. It's still a huge 5.5" phone, though, which won't be to the taste of everybody, so we are curious to know if you would consider such a large gear, if it has the value-for-money ratio of the OnePlus One...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PunyPoop (Posts: 750; Member since: 18 Jan 2013)
I wouldn't switch, I'll would definitely buy and use it together with my Z2 and the incoming G3!
15. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4693; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Once you go phablet, you could never go back...
Trust me, my Note 3 is just wonderfully epic.
26. jeso86 (Posts: 6; Member since: 17 Apr 2014)
had Note 2 and gave it to my gf, now I have Nexus 5 and don't regret it at all, it's just so much more comfortable in hand.
34. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4693; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I get your girl loves it though...
101. snowgator (Posts: 3410; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Someone just HAS to say it, don't they?
59. Nabil2511 (Posts: 152; Member since: 27 Jan 2014)
i see what you did there.. you sir deserve more thumbs up :P
113. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4693; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
lol I am glad you get it. lol
38. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
I have a nexus 5 too, I won't trade it for a oneplus one despite its higher specs, though I wouldn't mind using it.
46. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
note 3 >>> everything else.
it will only be dethroned by note 4.
btw does 1+1 have infra red? if not no.
51. dratomic (Posts: 483; Member since: 09 Oct 2013)
for some people yes. i like having all my remotes in one place. and i like to change tv channels in public places or wherever im invited. what you can do is limitless :) its fun.
67. ianbbaa (Posts: 298; Member since: 20 Mar 2013)
Funny how IR became a must for a phone :) actually, i was thinking about this One+ device but this comment made me to stick with a device with IR as it became my daily habit to use phone as a remote...
55. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
More options smartphone has more smarter it is.
114. TheGenius (Posts: 339; Member since: 06 Mar 2014)
Hmm .. yes
I have had my note 2 for more than an Year now and I still love it But the only thing i miss Is the infra red :/
63. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1977; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
The size doesn't do it for me,but apart from that, the OnePlus doesnt support the LTE frequency my provider uses. And I like my Nexus 5 too much.
102. express77 (unregistered)
4.7 inch(even 4.3 inch) is perfect size for me but since they are increasing day by day, I will just take what they offer with some choice.
105. RaKithAPeiRiZ (Posts: 1486; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Will surely shift to this because of monetary reasons alone ,64gb is a real steal
72. akki20892 (Posts: 3798; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Using 5.5" for a while and then see 5" you will said wth, is that iPhone.
111. zhiae (Posts: 188; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
Is this about 5.5 inch screen or buyn plus one?
2. butteredjelly (Posts: 25; Member since: 16 Apr 2014)
I'm fine with my S5. But it is very tempting.
47. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 181; Member since: 15 May 2013)
S5 size is the most I can handle. Not being able to comfortably carry a phone in my pocket is a deal breaker for me, and the S5 is on the edge of being too big. Women have handbags so they can put a phablet in there, but as a man I usually only have my pockets to put it in, so unless you're wearing very large pants, I don't see how you can manage to carry around a 5.5" or 5.7" screen device...
58. itzmando (Posts: 114; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I wear men's skinny jeans and reg. slim fit pants. My Note 3 fits perfectly fine in my pockets with no annoying awkward sitting or walking. I also have a Spigen hybrid case on my Note 3 that gives it an additional protection, thats the beauty of R&D from Samsung, they are able to package a 5.7 inch phone to be pocketable.
So it's pretty manageable.
60. DefinitiveKid (Posts: 181; Member since: 15 May 2013)
I guess it's a matter of getting used to it, but for the most part I've had the Note 3 for a short period and found it too cumbersome for my taste.
61. itzmando (Posts: 114; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I have somewhat large hands and I dont find the Note 3 to feel awkward or a pain to hold. I like the size and the screen is still gorgeous. I agree that some cases when taking photos it can be difficult to take pictures.
It takes some getting use too, I had the Gnexus which was 4.6 in. screen and now I have a Gnote3 so the transition was intimidating but you'll get use to it.
65. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
For god sake please don't use a skinny jeans unless you are a girl
87. itzmando (Posts: 114; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I see nothing wrong with wearing men's skinny jeans. I am not going to wear normal size pants that look baggy on me, this is not the early 2000s look anymore. Plenty of young men are wearing them who are slim built.
Accept it or don't comment with a derogatory word e.g. "pussy".
106. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
Slim fit = yes
Skinny = absolutely f*cking not
Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking you to walk around wearing super baggy gangsta style pants, but that doesn't mean you should walk around wearing skinny jeans either coz i don't wanna see your butt around
108. itzmando (Posts: 114; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
haha come to California and you'll see many men wearing them, it's the norm here so your mind is somewhere else when you think of skinny jeans.
Your not the one wearing them so why even comment on the fact that you don't like them?
109. Ashoaib (Posts: 2916; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
Pussy is not derogatory... if derogatory then what all girls will do? its natural, they have it... only using these words are little taboo although time has changed now and its good that this taboo is declining
112. itzmando (Posts: 114; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I consider it derogatory. It gets used loosely way too often, but when you use it to insult someone or prove a point. I don't think its applicable, why use a slang term such as "Pussy" when you can use the proper term a 'vagina'
But it's the younger generations that use it and don't understand who they can offend. I was not offended by Nikolas comment. But rather curious as to why skinny jeans had to be used by only women.
89. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1062; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
Speaking of pussy, we had to read a story in school today where one guy was like, "You're a pussy and your mom has one."
3. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
I don't say no for it, but I'm also not in rush.
4. Amir1 (Posts: 306; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
none of the answers above. buying oneplus IS "settling" for something cheaper and less premium. i don't look for good deal when buying flagships. i only look for the highest premium device that has features i will want to use.
14. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1018; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
And, may I ask, what is the highest premium device out right now? (in your opinion, of course)
20. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
What makes it is less premium may I ask? On paper the One Plus One is equal to or ahead of the competition depending on what feature you look at. Nobody's gotten a hands-on yet so we don't know the actual quality of the device but purely based on photos it looks high quality. Software features would be the only thing that makes it lower quality than the rest of the competition.
Or you may be a moron who thinks it isn't premium purely because it costs less.
57. Furbal (Posts: 616; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
I'll wait to see what their support chanel looks like
83. alrightihatepickingusernames (Posts: 474; Member since: 29 Dec 2013)
Keep in mind I said on paper. One Plus is a brand new company so we have no idea how much of that will translate into actual quality, I have high hopes. The HTC One M8 has a lower res camera, the Galaxy S5 has worse build quality and both have less RAM (Although that would be very negligible). The One Plus One also has a larger battery although it may not be as heavily optimized as the M8 or S5- we'll see. The xperia Z2 is on pretty much equal ground aside from screen size but that is largely subjective. I suppose you could could pit it against the LG G Pro 2 because it was also released this year, and that has a less powerful SoC.
Basically what I'm saying is keep an open mind to it.
5. VyktorJonas (Posts: 35; Member since: 26 Mar 2014)
I would buy it on a heartbeat as soon as I'm done with my Nexus 5 but I can't see myself with anything bigger than 5", I'd rather sacrifice 0.5" for even a few better specs tbh
90. Neo_Huang (Posts: 1062; Member since: 06 Dec 2013)
If you really want to stick with a five inch screen, I would recommend waiting for the Xiaomi Mi-3S, which will have similar specs, a similar price, and an equally good design, but a five inch screen.
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3512; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
The value for money is absolutely ridiculous IMO, but if the budget isn't that tight, I would still go for others just for the little extra features.
7. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 781; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
NO! Why cheap smartphone with good specs are always released in well developed country(OP One and Moto G), not in developing country?
10. Felix_Gatto (Posts: 781; Member since: 03 Jul 2013)
I hope Xiaomi can do better than OP and Motorola.
40. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
You hit the nail in the head
I live in a third world country and most (if not all) smartphones are considerably more price than they are in developed markets
I think part of it is due to the protective nature of their govts, y'know. Third world govts want their people to use local products in lieu of supporting domestic oems
Thus they increase the tax as high as possible to get people not buying them
In my country smartphones are subject to luxury taxes
79. skinny95black (Posts: 113; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
Actually in saudi Arabia the moto g has a reasonable price 900 sar also lg priced the g2 at 2100 and now it's priced at 1900 sar that's alot of money but look at samsung and sony and htc the s5 was priced at 2700 sar the z1 was 2800 the htc one m7and m8 were priced at 2800 the g2 is reasonble to them but to be fair for samsung they always cut the price tag so fast but htc and sony are arrogants the z was priced at 1850 when the z1 was lunched but when s4 was lunched at 2700 the s3 was 1400 and the worst is htc when s4 was cut to 1900 the m7 was still 2800 if you want to sell phone when you're a no name company in specific country please cut the godamn price make it reasonable some people don't even get 2000 in month but what can you say and don't make me talk about apple
41. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
I bought my 16gb nexis 5 for $500 here
95. hurrycanger (Posts: 1517; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
Man, is the LG G2 available over there? If yes, what reasons made you picked the N5 instead of the G2?
107. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
It is, because had i bought a g2 i wouldn't get updates in a timely fashion
8. sergiobr (Posts: 586; Member since: 25 Feb 2013)
Keeping my Note 3 and waiting the reviews to get + one.
21. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4693; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Dude don't get the One +. Wait for the Note 4. That beast is going to be water & dust proof like the S5.
Plus the specs on it will CRUSH the One + all with a bigger 4K Ultra HD screen...
31. Dr.Phil (Posts: 1018; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I think you mean a 2K HD screen. Also, something worth considering is that while it may indeed crush the OnePlus in terms of specs, it won't be releasing until later on this year. So you're going to be waiting about 6 months or so until that device becomes available.
75. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4693; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Yes I couldn't edit past a certain time. 2K Screen with 4K recording.
48. NexusPhan (Posts: 589; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
It will crush it. Crush it with over double the price.