Would you replace your Android homescreen with Facebook Home?
The new homescreen experience is certainly on the simpler side. Facebook has stayed away from the typical Android approach of having all kinds of options and settings, and has crafted a straightforward UI with a few key features. First of all is the main cover screen, which shows you the latest events from Facebook in a nice, graphically-rich way, with large pictures taking up the whole screen. Then there are the Chatheads, which make communication with friends and contacts very easy and enjoyable. Finally, Facebook Home has a built-in app launcher, which let's you start your usual apps.
All in all, the homescreen looks interesting and we'll certainly give it a try, once it becomes available, but the question is, how many of you guys think that Facebook Home has the potential to permanently replace your default homescreen layout? Right from the start, we notice one obvious drawback to Facebook Home, and it's the lack of widgets, meaning that you'll also lose access to a lot of important information that's otherwise accessible right from your typical homescreen. Could it be that in its attempt to break the app-switching paradigm, Facebook Home will force users to go from app to app even more? Be sure to let us know what you think, but before that - tell us if you plan on making Facebook Home your default homescreen!
27. akki20892 (Posts: 3555; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
yeah men u got it......they u go....lol
37. wendygarett (unregistered)
It's funny that Mark just show his love to android and yet android fans did not appreciate that....
Android the beauty of choice, I'll try facebook home :)
43. JC557 (Posts: 1137; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
That's because Zuckerberg should improve the FB app for Android first before screwing around with home screens/ launchers. After seeing the new permissions from FB I refuse to have anything from them installed on my phone.
2. joseg81 (Posts: 166; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
probably not. cuz i'm sure everybody has one of those friends that always post those annoying motivational speech pictures about 30 times a day. i don't wanna have to turn on my phone only to be flooded by those. even after blocking them...they always come back.
3. fragje (Posts: 6; Member since: 08 Jan 2013)
Sure, if it runs smoothly on my Motorola Milestone :P
5. Synack (Posts: 668; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Replace it? No. Make it one of the side screens, maybe.
32. Stuntman (Posts: 733; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
They should just make a good widget instead.
14. NexusKoolaid (Posts: 298; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
Why wasn't this an option in the poll?
7. Fluxman (Posts: 51; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Can you have a "I would give it a try and decide after that" option?
29. TheLolGuy (Posts: 483; Member since: 05 Mar 2013)
Yeah seriously. I'm not an active Facebooker or anything but this poll is just heavily swung to one side or the other. It's purposely inciting hate (if Facebook deserves it or not is a whole other discussion folks...)
Couldn't you guys at least give a lukewarm option + slightly favoring or unfavoring?
8. phones522 (Posts: 94; Member since: 27 Jan 2010)
Maybe for a few minutes just to see what its like
10. The_Innovation (Posts: 563; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
They know everything about you online, now they want to get data from the roots of your phone.
Say no to this, if you're smart.
12. bubbadoes (Posts: 337; Member since: 03 May 2012)
what's next a twitter phone...this phone want sell. I can't believe Zuckerberg took a chance on this.
13. feres13 (Posts: 306; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
I'd really like to have the Messenger bubbles thing to be used without the launcher, i think it's a really genious idea, if only a 3rd party dev could do a similar app and be able to support more services, like SMS ,FB Messenger, Whatsapp, Skype, viber,G Talk or even make it display tweets, having a person's face is easier to understand than a bunch of text in a tiny notification bar. Olther than that, i'm not interested.
15. andro. (Posts: 1960; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Not a f**king chance I'll be changing mine!
16. ProblemSolver15 (Posts: 155; Member since: 14 Jun 2010)
No, not at all. I don't even have Facebook. Haven't had one in about 3 years, and life is much better without it. At least, for me. It may certainly be useful to those who have Facebook and check it frequently throughout the day, though.
26. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6581; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Youre a smart guy. Should of never join. I only join too keep in touch with relatives.
19. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
And idea would be to have your regular launcher and glovebox, add a shortcut to your Facebook home there and launch it when you need it while still keeping your home screen the way you like it
42. protozeloz (Posts: 5378; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
I must say the launcher looks nice, honestly it would be awesome if it could be opened as standalone app lucky for us its possible with the right apps, I'll give the launcher a tips run as soon as it goes out
20. Feanor (Posts: 310; Member since: 20 Jun 2012)
I find Facebook already intrusive enough, I wouldn't want to have people's posts straight on my face even more. This is already a reason why I'm suspicious against Windows Live Tiles and HTC Blinkfeed. I prefer a neutral interface and when I want to check Facebook, I prefer to do it manually.
21. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
you guys always have the worst poll options. I would try it out.
22. willywill_evo (Posts: 162; Member since: 05 Jan 2011)
Never had and never will have Facebook.
23. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I even deleted fb app from my phone
24. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 203; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
if they made it a standalone widget with most of that functionality then i would consider putting it on a different screen but not my home screen itself. my phone is still a tool and not a gossip room.
25. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6581; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Now that's a stupid question. NOT!!
28. dorianb (Posts: 410; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
There are a TON of other thing I care more about than facebook for my homescreen. Current Weather. News Feeds. Simple Camera launching. (How many steps doe it take to open the camera anyway?) Dial Pad. (It's still a phone write?) I can go on.
30. Stuntman (Posts: 733; Member since: 01 Aug 2011)
Although I do use Facebook, I don't want FB to be in my face every time I use my phone. I do many things that have nothing to do with FB and FB is not even close to the first thing I check when use my phone. For instance, if I want to check some sports scores, weather, other social networks, messaging people not on Facebook, play a game, read some news, I don't need to see Facebook on the way to do any of these other things.
I think they should have just made a good widget that I can place on my home screen. For people who do use Facebook a lot, they can just place a full screen widget as their centre home screen. For other people, they can just use the app or perhaps put the widget on a different home screen. A widget will take advantage of Android without the feeling of being in your face. That's how I feel about Facebook Home. It's too much in my face.
One thing that I haven't been about to find out about is how Facebook Home handles widgets. I see that there is a screen for apps. Does that screen allow widgets as well?
I will most likely not bother with FBH. I currently use Nova Prime Launcher and I just feel I would be losing so much if I switch to FBH. NPL allows me to configure my home screen with up to 7 rows and 7 columns. I use 6 x 4 with no app tray and 5 home screens. All I saw was a 4 x 4 app screen. If I had to convert my home screens on NPL to FBH, I may need 8 or more screens to fit all of my screen objects.
31. stole38 (Posts: 14; Member since: 01 Sep 2012)
I'd love to try it , those ChatHeads are going to be really fun to play with :)
33. jroc74 (Posts: 4947; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
No. I dont even use Facebook that much. I know some ppl that would LOVE this tho...
34. nasznjoka (Posts: 345; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
A BIG NOO! how will look like in the society after all? ......"the guy who sleeps on facebook you've seen him?"...........................
35. spoks (Posts: 44; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
Only chatheads... Its fun... Not the entire launcher...
36. reten (Posts: 43; Member since: 03 Apr 2013)
I stopped using FB after reading following post by my friend's friend
" I feel like i wanna have a haircut"
38. tatail (Posts: 215; Member since: 08 Jan 2010)
Now, seriously?? We have a phone dedicated for an app??
What's next Angry Bird phone?
41. Shrihari (Posts: 79; Member since: 29 Jan 2013)
i'll never replace my home-screen instead will surely give it a try...
44. voxmarc (Posts: 313; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
it'll be my second home screen...yeah for a change...been looking for something like that...not the typical widgets...
46. saiki4116 (Posts: 356; Member since: 31 Mar 2011)
I am having FB app only for the contact sync.The FB app definitely sucks..
47. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
I would rather trade my Note 2 for a mini iPhone 5 or spend a whole day as Mayor Bloomberg's house guest and not be allowed to drink soda, eat fried foods, smoke and lavish him with validating praise.