Would you prefer an Optimus G over a Galaxy S III, if there was no marketing?
0. phoneArena 10 Oct 2012, 03:13 posted on
Here's an interesting experiment that we thought of. Imagine that we live in a world where our beloved device manufacturers cannot use that powerful tool called "marketing"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. bloodline (Posts: 706; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
I prefer the spec and build of the LG but the software of Sammy.
If it was an LG optimus Nexus vs Galaxy Nexus III, I would most definitely pick LG
11. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
THANK U PA for that thought
ive thought that out many times and wondered at the power of Marketing
I will prefer the optimisation on the S3 and i also like its UI. And the better update support from Sammy will seal the deal for me.
(but this choice here is a bit prejudiced as i have never held the G im my hands yet. That could change things)
16. Retro-touch (Posts: 272; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
I think the G will be a great device, I'll wait for the Nexus devices announcement before making a decision whether to buy an S3 US version or the latest Nexus devices. The S4 sources being available and updated (fully working custom ROMS) makes the S3 a great buy, no to mention I like Touchwiz. I'll go with the next Nexus if they have a better camera (8MP or better) and a S4 pro dual or quad with at least 16GB and 2GB of RAM, those were my main issues with the Galaxy Nexus
36. ZEUS.the.thunder.god (unregistered)
S3 for design and killer optimisation by Sammy
46. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1235; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
totally agree! Its not only the hardware and spec sheet, almost every manufacturer will give you killer specs in their flagships, its actually about your experience with the phone which is largely governed by the software and UI. The UI of Sammy is great and Sammy has done a wonderful job in the optimizing its TouchWiz with Android not to forget adding more than a few great enhancements!
17. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1502; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Sure, I voted the Samsung Galaxy SIII, but it's just about the bad name LG has with the software updates and the horrible UI.
Both get solved in a Nexus Device!
48. The_Innovation (Posts: 601; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
No, that's a prototype, you have to understand that. It'll have 16.
50. thunder18 (Posts: 126; Member since: 06 Aug 2009)
I sincerely hope the talk of 8 and 16GB of memory in a Nexus device with no microSD slot are disinformation. Without a memory card, that would be ludicrous.
51. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4270; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Yeah, the device all of the leaks are based off of is a testing device. Not intended for consumer use, when the final product releases it'll most definitely have 16-32 GB storage, maybe an 8 GB option just for those that are price conscious.
55. The_Innovation (Posts: 601; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Yea, but it won't have a SD card storage though. That we already know.
63. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
as long as it has at least 16 gigs of internal, I'm fine with that. The vast majority of users will never fill that.
67. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
As a nexus user 16GB is enough, extra storage is helpful but not a necessity.
54. The_Innovation (Posts: 601; Member since: 18 Jul 2012)
Add a Nexus to that Optimus and you'll be happy ;)
64. jroc74 (Posts: 5960; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
The LG phone just looks better to me. Based on looks alone I would pick LG.
71. Hlorri (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 May 2008)
Without marketing, we would all be using the Nokia 808 PureView. :)
Oh... I mean without marketing OR pundits. Or Stephen Elop.
2. andro. (Posts: 1997; Member since: 16 Sep 2011)
Galaxy s3 any day. I had several lg phones in the past and while they always seems to have some features ahead of the curve like the screen quality they always feel like a toy phone for some reason in actual design styling and ui icons. Granted you can use a customer launcher and icons for the menu and ui but the outside appearance cannot be changed
4. Fayeznoor (Posts: 69; Member since: 15 Nov 2011)
no way, its now about specs anymore. its all about software goodies. By far, Samsung Nature UX is the best Android Skin. and it has feature that no one can match. it has more unique selling points than any other phone in market...even many smartphones combined cant match features in Nature UX.
44. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Yes,the optimus G can compete with the nature ux just go to youtube and watch phonearena's video review of LG Optimus 4X HD and check the mediaplex, quick memo etc and with optimus G now the optmius UI works in Landscape Too.
And Dude its personal preference Some like Nature UX Some Like Moto's New(and awesome,near to stock) UI. Some Like Xperia Ux, Some like Sense 4.0. So dude stop hatin.
5. phil2n (Posts: 487; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
if the software is pure android, there's no way for s3 to win
6. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
Weird that the Samsung Galaxy S III had a low score in the poll. I'll be frank, I kind of like the design of the Galaxy S III and the software really wins it. The Optimus UI now looks and would feel like the first Galaxy S' skin - very cartoon like. Asides that, Samsung phones feel better in the hand. I don't care if it has 2GB of RAM and a better processor because Samsung optimizes the hardware well.
61. someones4 (Posts: 624; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
Are you the bobfreking designing the concept phones? Anyway, i agree that s3 has a marginally better overall package.
7. terter (Posts: 9; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
No, never. I’m still waiting for ICS on my Optimus 2x. Apparently LG waits for that update to become irrelevant. And the real problem is that the gingerbread has to many bugs to make any satisfaction. Very disappointed, will never buy a LG phone again.
43. Jericho (Posts: 302; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Root it! Why wait? its easy.
OR maybe you your too chicken to try something NEW(like rooting).
49. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 1115; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
Research it! Why not? It's easy.
Or maybe you are too du.mb too research before talking about stuff you don't know, my Optimus 2X is rooted and on CM7, we can't have ICS because we don't have drivers, it's that simple, we do have ICS but without HWA and with a faulty camera that can't record videos.
8. tedkord (Posts: 9656; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Be honest. LG will find some way to crap up the Optimus G.
9. kaliil10 (Posts: 145; Member since: 16 May 2012)
you Guys don't disappoint samsung its the manufacturer who changed the world of smartphone.otherwise we would be Apple slaves.
10. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
The only LG i would get is the LG nexus .
13. rizevnarastek (Posts: 347; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
I fail to see One X(+) in the pool... why is that so?
14. serge327 (Posts: 66; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
if SONY get the high spec as LG optimus G, I will choose SONY, because of its nice design, nice user experience, Nice camera, sound and etc XD
18. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 418; Member since: 04 May 2012)
LG optimus G, I love both the hardware and software. It's not as bad as some people here say.
34. joey_sfb (Posts: 5176; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
True for now. But in 8 month time when google release Android 5, key lime pie would you still wish that you have own a Samsung or a LG?
Read both LG and Samsung Facebook user postings to decide.
I have both LG and Samsung phones, now i only wish i have bought Samsung and something else...
LG Optimus 3D is struck at gingerbread, a 2010 Android OS for a late 2011 phone.
40. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 418; Member since: 04 May 2012)
I am more drawn to hardware features than software, ROMs can provide the software needs while getting the good hardware isn't as easy as rooting a phone.
62. joey_sfb (Posts: 5176; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Thanks for bringing it up. Check xda site on the number of rom available for LG phone vs Samsung phone. LG phone are not widely support by the community, why?
1) lower user base
2) Custom API such as real3D make it impossible to port optimus 3d to higher android version such as ics or jellybean without lg inputs.
3) Custom chipset make roms lose functionaility compare to original lg rom.
Problem lie on LG mentaility. They only want to sell new phone and don want to support them. They have always been like that pre android days. When customer report a bug they keep mute and quietly launch a new series of phone in a few months time. I been that customer before just seem that a lepoard wouldn't loses its spots.
70. OpTiMuS_BlAcK (Posts: 418; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Yes, what you said is true, but it can't apply to all LG phones, some get good support(including mine), while some don't get as much(as you said).
It's just a matter of preference and forethought, if you think a phone will be a hit, surely it will get a lot of support, if not, just don't get it. Some other manufacturers have also cancelled updates and nobody even rants but if it is LG, people say all the bad stuff.
Problems also lie on a customer's mentality bro. Have a good one :)
19. loken (Posts: 462; Member since: 09 May 2012)
I'd Choose Xperia V , It has everything! wateproofness , removeable batt , new technology ...etc
20. jan25 (Posts: 469; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
well let's see.. SIII has 1) non removable battery 2) expandable storage 3) a far more superior UI 4) better support 5) better design (subjective may be) VS Optimus G which is superior only for its chipset and the 13 mp camera that we haven't tested yet? /case closed
30. Retro-touch (Posts: 272; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
4)exynos chips are closed source, they only release kernel source but newer Android versions are always dependent on leaks from Samsung to get everything working right (or good enough),so not true, S2 doesn't have a properly working CM10 because of this issue so gotta wait for Sammy leaks. S3 does have more custom ROMS but it came out months ago
38. jan25 (Posts: 469; Member since: 26 Feb 2012)
yeah i meant removable battery. as for support, i was referring to Samsung's updates. the S3 is among the first well known flagships to receive jellybean. i get what you are saying though that's why i am a big Nexus fan.
21. weinerslav (Posts: 126; Member since: 31 Jul 2012)
LG optimus G without marketing and with marketing, LG has always nice designs, they may not appeal to everybody but to me they do. I really don't like the SIII, only started considering it an option since I saw there is a brown version (I really hate the white and the blue doesn't do nothing for me)
23. lallolu (Posts: 438; Member since: 18 Sep 2012)
Phonearena gets this wrong.
Most people will choose LG because the specs and desgin are wonderful but due to the bad user experience with their non-chalant attitude towards updating software, people including I will choose samsung.
It is not about Samsung's marketing, it is about customer's previous experience.
25. Anymal (Posts: 8; Member since: 22 Feb 2009)
its pride and prejudice all over again, as everything in our lives ... for the f**k sake, please dont crap it up LG
26. xray174 (Posts: 85; Member since: 21 Nov 2011)
this poll makes no sense the gs3 came out in june and the lg optimus now so basically the gs3 and older device still competing so why not make the poll galaxy note 2 vs lg optimus g or any newer device coming out
27. cocote177 (Posts: 20; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
Camera on the LG Optimus G (even if a 13 MP camera) sucks. Check a post on CNET that ressembles this fact.
29. Ragnarockd (Posts: 47; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Sometimes its not all about specs but software optimization is a key factor and that's where Samsung triumphs. I have to say that touchwiz nature UX in sgs3 is better than sense,optimus or timescape.
31. champ_vl (Posts: 44; Member since: 31 Aug 2012)
You can't forget who Samsung and LG is !! The ending of the article is a little silly. These brands are who they are because of their quality and success due to their performances and providing us with good phones. So, there's no surprise that Samsung sells better because their products are more durable, more advanced, have more feedback and support from XDA developers, have a lot more accessories designed for them and so on. I will always chose a Samsung phone over a LG phone (in the same range) for these reasons. They built their reputations around their products so that's why they are better. (oh and btw Samsung phones tend to hold on their high prices when sold as SH so that's a huge advantage for most of us smartphones addicts)
Samsung Galaxy S III the Winner !! No doubt.
33. Seymur (unregistered)
Why manufacturers are so blind, their UI looks very bad.
I choose SGSIII.
35. shammont (Posts: 30; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
Sammy GSIII but it is hard to say. I have never held an Optimus in hand.
37. someones4 (Posts: 624; Member since: 16 Sep 2012)
i still say Samsung. expandable micro sd card. obviously lg has superior specs but Samsung just....has it all i guess
41. pkiran1996 (Posts: 166; Member since: 22 Oct 2011)
This is probably going to be thumbed down. The specs on the Optimus G are amazing, but the Optimus UI is just poor.