World's first bamboo phone is real, coming soon
3. tigermcm (Posts: 832; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
yeah I was thinking about that just reading the story soooooo we start using the panda's food source for mass reproduction in the new future....might as well up their number on the endangered list now
5. Challengeme (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Feb 2012)
what are you talking about??? Bamboo first off is a type of grass and in many parts of the world are like weeds. Its not like growing trees, there should be no problem producing more
16. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
i know he has a lot of thumbs down but Challengeme is right.
Bamboo is a much more abundant resource then you or I would think. It grows at a very rapid rate and could easily be replicated in a controlled environment.
I'm not sure most people realize that plastic is made out of OIL. Considering that people are more important than animals, i wonder how many people would have lived if we didnt have a war involving OIL ;-)
25. Mario1017 (Posts: 336; Member since: 04 Sep 2011)
Did you call bamboo a weed? do you know how much of the world uses bamboo for some furniture? And also the only thing pandas eat is bamboo, if you use bamboo for mass producing this phone, you will inevitably getting rid of their only food source. In other words you will be killing pandas. This phone wont be popular once people know what it's made of
27. davecann2 (Posts: 460; Member since: 15 Mar 2011)
Pandas come from only one part of the world and in most cases "Protected Regions". I highly doubt they will be consuming the Pandas only food source.
28. tigermcm (Posts: 832; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
we humans consume any and everything at alarming rates so like i said once mass production happens it will be bad.
14. evo-ninja (Posts: 31; Member since: 23 May 2011)
there is none in the wild, an I think they eat chocolate now
2. Fallout09 (Posts: 421; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
I would buy a wood phone. Wood is more forgivable than glass and daily wear shows better than polished metal. Even the worst DIYer can fix they’re own scratches. Bamboo has already proven to be a great wood for daily use.
4. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i think it looks really nice. i hope things like this dont become more than niche products though. think if everyone wanted a wood phone... how many more trees would be needed. Deforestation on an even larger scale.
6. iamcc (Posts: 1319; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
Who the hell needs trees anyways.
23. Nathan (Posts: 85; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
I think its a nice phone too, and the fact that its actually running stock Android 4.0 (Look at the pictures) is an added bonus. PS: Bamboo is a grass and it actually grows pretty quickly.
8. ardent1 (Posts: 2000; Member since: 16 Apr 2011)
Bamboo is a grass, and not a tree. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/B
9. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
It's bamboo right? So if you drop it on water will it float?
12. jamrockjones (Posts: 345; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Hmmm... wood phone, I don't know how good of an idea this is.
13. jamrockjones (Posts: 345; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Excuse, grass phone. That actually sounds much worse when you put it like that.
15. Giggity (Posts: 147; Member since: 17 Nov 2011)
I'll passed, I just don't want to be one of those people who get pissed off when the phone overheat and catch fire
17. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
I actually hope this becomes more popular. He clearly wants to have his product made locally and not imported from China (this increases jobs which is a plus).
Bamboo is easily mass produced and is much more durable than a plastic. Those who have taken a martial arts course and used bamboo for staff training know what it feels like to be BASHED in the shins...it effin hurts. (solid wiffle bat or a solid bamboo rod...something to think about in terms of toughness)
I would however hope that the components would be covered because it being a "grass" along with electronics...heat, wood/grass, and oxygen could make a nice fiery phone :)
18. shadez10 (Posts: 409; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
what happen if you dropped it.?
bamboo easily crack up when dropped... and then when over heated, you could start a bonfire... xD (i hope it doest start a fire when charging)
but the design is really cool... much better looking than the iphone... :D
19. atheisticemetic (Posts: 377; Member since: 18 Dec 2011)
have you dropped bamboo before? lol it isnt easily cracked...bamboo is flexible and is meant to bend which is why it is used in martial arts weapons (you cant block something that would wrap around your weapon, eh?)
i do agree tho that it is better looking than the iphone :)
heres to also hoping it doesnt start a fire haha
26. shadez10 (Posts: 409; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
lol.. your right... i feel stupid for not thinking they will use not just the ordinary bamboo... xD
but we have a bamboo here in our backyard and it do crack up easily... its called chinese bamboo... =D
22. Nathan (Posts: 85; Member since: 14 Jul 2011)
Great design and if you look at the pictures, its running stock Ice Cream Sandwich! :D
29. Alp1111 (Posts: 46; Member since: 27 Jan 2012)
I think it is a really good idea.It will be not heavy. ergonomic. It is good.