Wolfson confirms its audio whiz chip is in the Samsung Galaxy S III
0. phoneArena posted on 26 Jun 2012, 06:13
Now Wolfson is back in business, confirming that its WM1811 HD Audio Hub is indeed behind the sound capabilities of the Galaxy S III: "We are delighted that Samsung has once again demonstrated its confidence in our Audio Hub solutions, this time by incorporating the WM1811 into its flagship GALAXY S III smartphone, the launch of which will further strengthen Samsung's position as a world leading smartphone manufacturer"...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. SoyCider posted on 26 Jun 2012, 06:32 3 1
just FYI, it's the company that makes headphones as well;
and pretty good at it.
21. TROLL posted on 26 Jun 2012, 15:44 1 0
the only draw-back with the S3 is its ugly design and materials used,
or else its really good. enjoying mine. And its fast!
24. SleepingOz posted on 26 Jun 2012, 16:45 1 1
I may agree for the design as beauty is subjective but dude, it's POLYCARBONATE like the OneX, Lumia 800/900 etc..!
25. Goldeneye posted on 26 Jun 2012, 22:43 0 2
Sure but the feel and look is just cheap plastic.
2. bayusuputra posted on 26 Jun 2012, 06:34 9 1
hhmm.. this sounds like a better deal than beats.. been a HTC fan, but Galaxy S3 has lured me to the other side..
5. sgogeta4 posted on 26 Jun 2012, 06:47 7 0
Wolfson make the best DACs for mobile devices, way better than the beats crap...
10. Synack posted on 26 Jun 2012, 09:28 4 0
It's because Beats is a terrible deal lol. Go with Skullcandy, Pioneer, or even Wolfson.
Beats is an overpriced name.
11. SleepingOz posted on 26 Jun 2012, 10:44 2 0
So does Skullcandy! Wolfson are known for the dac but their headphones aren't that good. If you have the cash to buy a BeatsPOS then go for a Sennheiser/AudioTechnica/Klipsch/AKG/Grado...
14. tech-blast posted on 26 Jun 2012, 11:05 3 2
No one talking about the BOSE. they are the best. i am currently using it and its awesome.
15. SleepingOz posted on 26 Jun 2012, 11:51 2 1
BOSE are better than Beats but they're far from being the best!! And they're also overpriced, there's so much better out there.
16. crankyd00d posted on 26 Jun 2012, 12:11 5 0
BOSE is nothing more than the Apple of the audio world, good products alright but far from the best, and overpriced for their capabilities
20. SleepingOz posted on 26 Jun 2012, 15:06 1 0
Totally! I always compare BOSE and Beats to APPLE.
23. remixfa posted on 26 Jun 2012, 16:01 1 1
bose is EXTREMELY over priced. they are much like apple. I dont know if they still do, but they used to sell paper cone speakers in those cube systems for like 4 grand. Bunk that.. for 4 grand I demand more than paper cone crap!
27. BattleBrat posted on 27 Jun 2012, 03:52 0 0
Bose makes solid stuff, overpriced? No not really, I don't use Bose anymore, but only because I got into HIGH END home audio, I like Talon audio for my speakers and B&W for my computer monitors, although I have a pair of Sun fire CRM 2 speakers for movies..
Back on topic, wolf son chip in the S3 huh? I am gonna have to test drive one @ Verizon when they're released.
18. DigitalBoy05 posted on 26 Jun 2012, 13:05 1 0
na dude bose is too much of an artificial sound.
26. AB00110101 posted on 26 Jun 2012, 23:25 0 0
More than happy with my Klipsch earbuds, soooo nice.
4. Tsepz_GP posted on 26 Jun 2012, 06:41 10 0
This is why Samsung's smartphones are the best media smartphones. :)
The Yamaha in the GS2 does a great job to, but those Wolfson DACs together with Voodoo are in a whole different league from anything in the market.
6. AppleConspiracy posted on 26 Jun 2012, 07:00 4 0
Wolfson DACs are very ambiguous depending on model. As far as my past audiophile experience goes, only very expensive high-end Wolfson DAC's were praiseworthy, while budget level models were subpar in comparison with competition. Of course, mobile users wouldn't know the difference anyway, it's only matter of exclusivity and branding.
13. SleepingOz posted on 26 Jun 2012, 10:56 2 0
Woah, I thought I was the only audiophile here..
Right, casual listeners can't even tell the difference between128kbit/s and 320kbit/s mp3.
22. SleepingOz posted on 26 Jun 2012, 15:52 0 0
Yup, but it's quite hard to tell the difference between 320kbit/s Mp3 and FLAC just by listening to them directly from your mobile due to their tiny DAC, even with decent cans. An AMP is usually needed. That's why I always carry my HP-AMP with me.
28. AppleConspiracy posted on 27 Jun 2012, 06:30 0 0
It's hard to tell the difference because of simple fact that audio hardware used in consumer products is just not transparent enough to show that.
7. rpankaj posted on 26 Jun 2012, 07:18 2 0
yeah.. even my budget droid lg optimus one has wolfson DAC.. WM9093... Sound is good
9. thelegend6657 posted on 26 Jun 2012, 08:14 3 0
What audio chip HTC use for OneX ?
BTW Phonearena i have problem
I cant receive any notification except from the HTC OneX vs GS3 review .
Can anyone help ?
12. SleepingOz posted on 26 Jun 2012, 10:51 1 0
I hope they'll equip the GNOTE II as well.
Otherwise, GSIII for me.
17. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 26 Jun 2012, 12:33 1 0
No wonder why sound quality in general with my galaxy s 3 is 100 times better and louder than the galaxy nexus. Which to be honest had a very low volume in general.