With YouTube Pro tossed from the Windows Phone Marketplace, SuperTube is back
0. phoneArena 12 May 2012, 04:34 posted on
Microsoft acted to remove all things "Google" from the Windows Phone Marketplace to uphold its trademark policies and that meant that YouTube Pro had to go bye-bye; the app has been replaced by the old SuperTube as the main video streaming app in the Marketplace...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
MS just accept it! no one wants Vimeo! Most people watch video on youtube!
4. Henrik (Posts: 141; Member since: 18 Feb 2012)
You don't think they have tried? They have even filed an anti-competitive complaint against Google for not letting them access the YouTube API's. http://www.thecowl.com/world/m
17. MartyK (Posts: 777; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
"Now that Microsoft is removing anything that has the Google name or the name of a Google application from the Marketplace"...this says it all
26. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
Its because of the legal battles buddy. Microsoft wants an actual Youtube application but Google is blocking that move.
35. Henrik (Posts: 141; Member since: 18 Feb 2012)
I wonder if you know what it meant :-) Microsoft is removing all 3rd party apps that are Not property of Google if they have "Google" or "YouTube" etc in the app names, since this is a violation of Google's trademarks ("Google", "YouTube").
The trademark infringmenent is the reason Google wanted the apps removed in the first place, it's not Microsoft themselves demanding the apps to be removed. They just carry out the lawful wish of Google, which is a fair request from Google.
29. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Sounds like MS is bound and determined to keep WP in the 2 - 3% market share territory. RIM management sends their thanks. After the flower market pricing settles post-Mothers' day, flowers will be sent as well.
2. joeymk (Posts: 101; Member since: 26 Jan 2012)
How stupid is google? The are one of the biggest software company and they can not made ONE stupid app for windows phone? Are you afraid google?
6. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Google will get Antitrust soon, don't worry..
Third party apps for Google's service on Windows Phone still works fine, although they try to block it frequently but people will see..
10. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
did you notice how the article specifically stated that it was MS that was removing google apps? how is that google's fault?
11. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Google was clearly sending out C&D to Microsoft.
I have one of my app 'forced' to be renamed by Google too.
30. Trolls.Arent.Human (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 May 2012)
Would you like Google to also make apps for bada? WP is still less than 2% of the market. Why would Google waste resources on a platform that hasn't proven it will be successful?
36. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
I wouldn't even bother giving a good reply to you, your name says it all. 'troll'
3. angelesmec (unregistered)
J.. you seem to misunderstand what the article said.
5. Cyan3boN (Posts: 444; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
oh so this means no Google app will make it to wp including gmaps, that's sad, I really like gmaps over the other mapping apps.
7. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
There's third party alternative.
8. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
- Google gave Android users full access to Youtube while Windows Phone users suffers
- Google prioratise its service on good research result
- Microsoft sue Google for anti competitive behaviour
- Now Microsoft won't allow Google Chrome and Mozilla firefox on Windows 8 ARM Version
- Now Google and Mozilla called Microsoft anti competitive behaviour
9. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
The issue is that Microsoft's WindowsRT won't have the 90% marketshare like it does on Windows, and the blocking of Chrome/FireFox won't result into anything or investigation. WindowsRT [ARM] is not Windows x86
Whereas for Google, they monopolise the entire video/search market, that is enough to get them into deep shi`t.
Look at Apple, where they block other browser in their OS except Safari.
I don't think you get how this works yet, and finding a reason to defend your Gewgle.
23. kainy (Posts: 165; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
Well does Apple allaw Google to make Chrome for iOS? I don't think so, and nevertheless Google are not providing their services for WP, so they don't deserve to have anything on Windows 8.
15. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
Idiot WP zealots, where does it say that google doesn't want WP to have the official app? Google makes money from ads you imbeciles, keeping the youtube app off WP wouldn't make any sense as they would prefer to have it on there to get those ads rolling and the bucks coming into their coffers. You can sit there and believe stupid nonsense like Google blocking MS from using the API or whatever, considering that Google gets no money from their OS and just about all of it from advertising. If it barks like a dog and acts like a dog, guess it's a chicken correct?! From the lack of sense from posters defending MS it's a wonder you can use a smartphone at all.
18. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
are you born out of a rock? I hope not.
19. roscuthiii (Posts: 2180; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Exactly. For a while Google was making more money of of iOS than they were on Android. They want their presence spread as far afield as they can get it. Their business model would never let them take an exclusionary stance.
20. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
that's for sure, but I've never seen Google supporting Windows Phone at all. Its all third party alternative that's connecting this portion of users to their services.
21. kainy (Posts: 165; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
Well FYI, MS is suing Google for not letting them use the YouTube APIs ... so we all are pretty sure that that's Google's fault. Just Google hate MS probably from all the suing (winning)... On WP there isn't Google+, no Gmail app, no Gmaps, no Gmusic, no Gdrive, no Gtalk, no every s**tty product that begins with one big fat "G" in front of it, except the retarded Google search...
P.S. Microsoft has their services on all major platforms, Google too, except WP.
33. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
On Google there is no Xbox Live, no Zune, no Skydrive, no Explorer (Not that anyone would want to use E9 over Chrome anyway), no Office, etc, etc. These guys compete with each other with many different services. Their both doing the exactly same thing to each other.
27. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
Bro do some research before typing, Microsoft filed antitrust papers on Google because they wont release the API to Microsoft to make a Youtube app.
16. wp74ver (banned) (Posts: 62; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Is all good we don't need no good apps on wp7 is just gonna make my lumia 900 lag lol they just mad they need to pay Microsoft 300 millions a year lol for being a copy cat .
31. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
I guess they'll need to make money from somewhere since the have to literally PAY reps to recommend their phones, and give them away for people to use WP7. I'm glad Google is helping to keep WP7 employees employed.
22. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
If Microsoft keeps locking s**t down, I will very shortly leave them behind entirely.
24. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
i doubt you are even with them now lol
28. vvelez5 (Posts: 623; Member since: 29 Jan 2011)
Why don't people research before talking. Microsoft is removing anything related to Google because of cease and desists from Google from all the legal battles they are having. Microsoft is suing Google so they can release the APIs needed to make Google apps.
Now I'm not saying Microsoft is squeaky clean either, they both are playing dirty. But the fact is that Windows Phone does not have an official Youtube app because Google won't allow it.
It's going to end up one of two ways. They decide to play nice and allow each companies product on their OS' (unlikely) or they block each other and try to out shine them on their feature (more than likely)
32. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Some of you arent taking into account that these two companies are true competitors to each other, not just in the mobile industry but also for search engines, email, maps, and a few other services. You won't see these guys supporting a lot of each other's services. I don't see Xbox Live in the Google Market, so you may not see a Gmail app on Microsofts. Why is that so surprising? Honestly, some of you WP7 fans are starting to act like some of the regular iOS fanboys/trolls!
37. TurkeyBacon (banned) (Posts: 16; Member since: 12 May 2012)
but look, there's Microsoft office on mac. Some once exclusive windows phone Xbox games were ported to iPhone too.
Its simply google being stupid here with the cold war.
38. Whateverman (Posts: 3250; Member since: 17 May 2009)
Games are developed by developers for different platforms. Just because that game was once exclusive to Xbox doesn't mean MS is generously ALLOWING users of the iPhone to have access to those games. The DEVELOPERS of those games want to make money, so they made a version of the game they own for iPhone owners. Microsoft has nothing to do with it at all!
And if your going to use a $129 software as an example of how Microsoft is supportive of other platforms, just remember that anyone can use GDocs from many computer with an Internet connection...for FREE!!!
34. wp74ver (banned) (Posts: 62; Member since: 10 May 2012)
Don worry google at the end u will loose playing hard with Microsoft lol hope they block all of ur services on windows 8 so you can cry like a big copy cat you are lol they just scare cuz they know wp7 is way better than android and they know that windows phone 8 will kill them so bad.
39. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1524; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
Dear folks all this BS has to stop> People watch you tube on the PC everyday so why is Google so stupid to deny an App to be on windows smart phones. windows smart Phones are owned by a Minority of people in America so this IS rediculous unless google is trying to be like microsoft was said to be in the past.
MICROSOFT what the hell is wrong with you what are the Technical reason's for you do want the Firefox or google chrome not fully operational on the New Windows 8 ARM CPU controled Tablets. you are once again going to get kicked in the ASS by the Euroean Union for blocking other browsers from being fully operational on a computer device LAWYERS are going to get RICH off you on when the EU takes you to court because yiu broke an agreement with them about broswers on Windows computers. Mocrosoft you said yourself that a tablet is just another form factor of a computer. Change your action quickly before you get sued BY THE EU