Windows RT devices to sport up to 17 days of connected standby, some are thinner than the new iPad
0. phoneArena 14 Aug 2012, 05:32 posted on
Microsoft spilled some more beans what kind of devices can we expect at launch with Windows RT - they will be made by Asus, Samsung, Dell and Lenovo, and will have 10.1 to 11.6" screens in a tablet and notebook form factors. The lightest ones seem to be just 520g, whereas thickness hits 8.35mm, which means that we will have a Win RT slate that will be thinner than the new iPad...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. tigermcm (Posts: 756; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
from all the pics I've seen the Surface looks to be much thicker compared to the iPad. Do I assume that there will be size variants???
3. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
You can always choose other windows 8/rt tabs made by asus , Samsung or whatever that is available
17. kainy (Posts: 165; Member since: 10 Aug 2011)
The Microsoft Surface RT version will be a little bit thiner than the iPad - 9.3cm vs 9.4cm, but the Pro version will be thicker - 1,35cm.
33. microsoftexclusive.com (Posts: 17; Member since: 12 Aug 2012)
9.3 cm? hahaha have u ever seen cm on a measuring tap?
2. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
it looks like an ipad and galaxy tab, will apple gonna sue?
7. bbblader (Posts: 583; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
omg you are right its in the form of a rectangle must be an ipad copy
8. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
hahaha. i think not, they just choose whom to sue, if you're the top smartphone maker, then you're gonna be sued.
19. jove39 (Posts: 1333; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Nope...MS is paying Apple for sketches made by 3yr old!
4. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
i wish RT will get games like portal, crysis, left for dead and resident evil... and i hope it's powerfulk enough for sony vegas pro and photoshop...
if not, screw RT. pro is the way to go.
14. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
And I don't know again why people disliked my comment. I fairly meant by comment that is:
I've tried all the manufacturers that are making the RT tablets, and I like none of them neither their customer service and after sale support. I, like both Sony VAIO and HP because they do make amazing hardware with superb software and great after sale support.
^Why in the world would this get 6 dislikes
Are you hurt because I don't like your favorite manufacturer's device? Seriously, grow up and stop being fanboys...
18. TylerGrunter (Posts: 1058; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
Don't worry too much. It sees someone with 6 accounts went on disliking ALL comments in this article. You can see that all the previous comments also have 6 dislikes.
He disliked all one by one... childish
9. Yousiff (Posts: 4; Member since: 24 Jul 2012)
oh oh, that 'similar feature' can get microsoft into trouble. :)) SUE ! apple is pretty sensitive though.
10. Ohrules (Posts: 325; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
wow, why are there 3 dislikes on every comment? looks like trolls are aboard!
ps, i expect dislikes too :P
15. Ohrules (Posts: 325; Member since: 11 Jun 2012)
i think its one person with 6 accounts, since all of the comments were disliked in order, like first all had 1, then 2 and 6 at the last count
16. tigermcm (Posts: 756; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
childish ppl, how does a question get disliked?
21. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Only way im buying a w8 tablet is if they introduce the 8 or 7" form factor, 10" is way to big to carry around in your sidebag all day, and quite frankly, i dont need those 2". hope nokia comes up with a nice colorful one...
25. MISTER.H (banned) (Posts: 167; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Lmao ur post made me laugh ogy.dogy waiting for my dislikes! And u got few straight away. Looks like its iFans or Fandroids thumbing down all....?
26. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
Lol, it seems you cant write anyithing apple-negative or msoft-positive without people trolling. well up theirs :D
23. -box- (Posts: 3881; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I think it's apple fans doing the thumbing down, since some variant of tablet might be thinner than their precious ipod Jumbo. The current model is thicker than the 2, so it's no surprise something thinner comes out. Personally I don't mind a little thickness if it means better battery life and more powerful hardware
34. Penny (Posts: 1267; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
Since you accused Apple fans of supplying the thumbs down, and since you don't have any thumbs down so far, I can only assume that whomever is thumbing others down likes what you said. Therefore, they probably are not Apple fans. Considering we are on a Windows Phone related article, they probably are not Windows Phone fans either. I wouldn't venture BlackBerry fans as a guess as their numbers are dwindling. Which leaves us with the obvious conclusion, the one we all knew from the start - I'll let you figure that one out.
27. speckledapple (Posts: 879; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
I would prefer more players to get into the game before I purchase mine but at the same time I wonder if these partners can really produce something that I will find desirable. Either way, on a stats basis alone these will be beasts.
28. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
I think waiting would be a smart decision. I have the feeling its going to be the same case as with wp7, when the cheapest wp7 at launch was the lg optimus 7 for about 500€ over here and now you can get a lumia 610 for a fraction of the price... then again the surface looks awesome now and i doubt its going to get any cheaper...
29. ncv144 (Posts: 126; Member since: 04 May 2012)
Asus zenpad, Samsung odyssey tab 10.1, anyone?
31. ogy_dogy (Posts: 453; Member since: 29 Jun 2012)
there you go, one for you just so you dont feel left out :D
36. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i think W8 tablets might just dethrone iPad that android tab failed... specially that it is offering a PC features that students and some proffesionals are looking forward to...
i wonder what will BlackBerry bring to the 10.1" of there PlayBook...
these manufacturers just need do something that will let it look more eye catchy than the surface!!!
i like what samsung brought on CES 2011 (i think i dont know what event was that... i just saw that on cnet top5 ) the one that run win7 but its touchscreen the one that is convertable tablet loptop it slide to be a loptop but really thin.. i really want that...
i wish Win8 tablet the best!
the vid is here...http://cnettv.cnet.com/1606-13489_53-50102430.html
37. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
i wonder why nokia is not making a tablet...
just in my mind... i hope that Microsoft will also fill up the 7" market.. it is a big success... but i dont like the idea of win8 on that market...i think WP8 would be better on that market..
i wish microsoft allow nokia to make a 7" tablet with WP8!!! and uses s4 chips!! and price right... it will be a beast!!! i think $249 for 16GB is a decent price! but i hope not greater than that.. since the rumored ipad mini will start at $249 and nexus only start at $199...
they need to fill it up too... you gotta read this!!http://www.wpcentral.com/windo
38. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
oh guys... i dont know why PhoneArena still didnt post this... surface RT is rumored to be sold at only $199http://www.engadget.com/2012/0