Windows Phone storage bug discovered; saved images found in isolated storage
After doing some top-notch detective work, the developer found that the storage issue had to do with the methods MediaLibrary.SavePicture and MediaLibrary.SavePictureToCameraRoll. Both are used when saving images to Windows Phone's pictures hub, and as it turns out, a copy of each image is saved in isolated storage. Code can be written to delete the file in isolated storage since it takes the same name as the one used by MediaLibrary.SavePicture with an additional 'jpg' added to the end and with periods replaced by underscores.
The isolated storage file appears only with.jpg pictures, not with.png shots. The bug is not device-specific but only appears on Windows Phone 8, and when using Nokia's storage tool, the files show up as dedicated storage rather than "other" or as a temporary file. In the meantime, if you are saving a picture to the picture hub, Gosse suggests that you "make sure you’re deleting the temporary files in the isolated storage afterwards." Hopefully we will see a fix from Microsoft soon because those with low-end devices are struggling with small amounts of storage.
source: KevinGrosse via WPCentral
1. FlushGordon (unregistered)
More reason to stay away from this HORRIBLE phone OS
2. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
I though iphone lovers were bad, then windows phones came and the users are even more hardcore.
8. skinny95black (Posts: 46; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
please until now I never saw more annoying fans like android fans even if the article isn't about android yet you still see them sticking their noses in and starting bashing them
17. jroc74 (Posts: 3459; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Then you must not have been around online in 2007 thru 2010. iPhone fanboys were ridiculous....its shifted to Android fanboys but the iPhone ones are still there.
21. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
Sigh, I liked phonearena for fast news, but the comments section is a totally sorry sight that i personally think engadget community is even better nowadays.
6. Credo (Posts: 558; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Yeah, laggy like Android you mean? Correct me if i'm wrong ;)
7. phil2n (Posts: 458; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
If you want Nokia hardware and Android OS together then buy Vertu.
They didn't specify that Vertu is using nokia hardware but its seems like Nokia is producing their hardware.
Buy Vertu then or you can steal it because you are FlushToilet : i mean gordon
18. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Yes, vertu does use Nokias software/hardware.
22. sennarose88 (Posts: 27; Member since: 18 Jun 2009)
Laggy OS is still better than an OS that creepily eats your data
9. meowcenary (Posts: 186; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Horrible OS? Compare that to the tired iOS and leaky androidOS. I would rather use WP8. I have been a fan of WP 7x and loved WP8, it has treated me well and I am itching to get back into the os. Currently I am using a iphone 5 and it is driving me nuts and to me it is a phone for simpletons. There are no live tiles and the lock screen does not show me critical data that I need.
10. icyrock1 (Posts: 239; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
You guys should read this.
It's exactly how I feel about this; and no matter your preference in phone OS, competition is a good thing.
Can we just stop the hate and just accept that someone else might have a different preference?
12. meowcenary (Posts: 186; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
competition in the markets is always good, however end users are like the tide. They ebb and flow, there would always be more polarized people versus objective ones.
13. andynaija (Posts: 188; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Windows Phone isn't horrible every os has its flaws, and I use Android but WP looks nice too.
14. semipro1337 (Posts: 56; Member since: 01 Oct 2012)
Damn flushgordon I thought you got banned. Oh well I'm sure its coming.
5. Credo (Posts: 558; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
LMAO, you would love Nokia to make a high end Androidphone.
11. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
With last years specs on a 2013 device
16. tigermcm (Posts: 563; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
I have to agree with credo. You say stupid nokia phones yet fandroids yearn for nokia to get with android. also where did the article say nokia?
20. icyrock1 (Posts: 239; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
Technical the article did mention Nokia.
"The isolated storage file appears only with.jpg pictures, not with.png shots. The bug is not device-specific but only appears on Windows Phone 8, and when using Nokia's storage tool, the files show up as dedicated storage rather than "other" or as a temporary file. "
4. papss (Posts: 2184; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
Could be worse...i could be using a Frisbee with MySpace OS.