Windows Phone Modern UI: do you like it?
0. phoneArena posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:21
When you first take a look at a Windows Phone device you instantly get it - this is different. And it’s different mostly because of the Modern UI…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Mozarrt posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:22 47 23
Can't live without them, using Android or iOS always feels so backwards compared to the Metro UI.
9. denied911 (banned) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:33 18 36
good post microsoft marketing team
16. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:43 15 40
OMG, did they call WP UI modern?
1. All devices look the same, no personalization
2. You have to look at each tile for tiny bits of information against centralized interactive Notification center of Android
3. The multitask management is awful, no swipe to delete gesture like Android
and can there be any launchers possible?
22. eisenbricher posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:55 27 6
Yeah, and not in a whim. Why is that so surprising?
1. Customization is at middle level. Above iOS and below Android
2. That's not a bad thing, I can also say that you have to look at the centralized info center... Are we so lazy that we can't even take a LOOK?
3. Do you imply that Windows should just copy the swipe gesture of Android? I don't think so.
I'm not Android hater, in fact I love it. Just that your post is underrating WP8 so horribly than it deserves. Remember everyone, WP8 is meant to fill the gap between openness of Android and strict closed ecosystem of iOS.
49. Nathan_ingx posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:23 6 2
I'm with you man!!
I don't know what the outcome will be if Windows had customizable icons and widgets like Android.
We won't be able to differentiate between them!
And thank God Microsoft left it this way because everyone and i mean everyone (!!!) can easily differentiate between Android, Windows and iOS.
62. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 11:25 3 3
2. That's bad thing when you have a lot of live tiles spreading several pages, then you have big troubles kepping track with all those tiles.
3. I agree that WP should not copy Android but it should offer something equally convenient or better, Right now it cannot.
I think WP has an important role but what I'm criticizing is WP's failure to fill it.
67. haseebzahid posted on 30 Oct 2012, 11:51 0 1
meh i can eaisly track a tinny little tile thats because they are perfectly sorted and when we set it we know where it is. you will say that cuz android icons are tiny and hard to find when u only have to identify the logo not the name of app or take the whole thing to home screen :P i know that is harder for android cuz i used symbian S60 and android UI is symbian copy
79. Lboogey6 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 17:04 1 1
Lol so creating an organized folder of categorized apps is.... Confusing or boxes that look alike riiiiight millions of people are just idiots then
74. saiki4116 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 13:57 2 1
yup,you are right man...the live tile looks sexy when shown on ads,but when you populate your screen with so many of them,organizing them would be definitely a mess....in android i keep widgets in home screen in a classified order like one screen for social networking,one for chat,one for productive apps...
23. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:56 1 1
I've been wondering what type of mod community W8 will have. If they can hack in launchers, that'd be a major win.
36. gothicheart posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:39 0 2
yes, there are launchers possible, on the android market, several actually. now you can change you're crapdroid to WP ui. enjoy what you've missing on android... :)
41. erick01 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:59 2 1
"All devices look the same, no personalization..." did you see the video with MS´s Belfiore comparing the screen layout among Android and iOS??? Those screens maaan......: boring.
68. haseebzahid posted on 30 Oct 2012, 11:53 0 1
place 100 SGS3 off what is the difference between them all :\ now turn them all on except home screen what is the difference nothing dont know what personalization u are crying about
55. GoodFella posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:49 2 1
Did you forget that android copied webOS with the "swipe to delete" feature? Stop being a fanboy, son. All OSs have many similar features. I like where Mas is going with this.
65. haseebzahid posted on 30 Oct 2012, 11:45 0 1
yeah because WP is not a copy of android its a differnt thing and it donest even need stuff u chanting it is well made to double check all what u saying very effectivly i believe u didnt used WP at all and from adroid u will obviously think negitive that what fandroids do
30. Mozarrt posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:07 0 1
I wish, I'd love them to give me all the MS goodies.
75. wp8forever (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 14:02 0 1
Wow wp8 getting a lot of love cuz at the end we all know is a great product, we can't deny that, and Microsoft did a terrific job with wp8 I can't wait for at&t to release it.
81. TROLL posted on 30 Oct 2012, 20:25 1 2
it will be another epic fail, just like there previous.
39. wp8forever (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:52 3 0
They just mad cuz windows phone 8 rocks and they know it, is just the best of both world but what I like the most is that is original no and ios copy sorry didn't mean to refer to android maybe I did, and on top of that u add that surface pro whattttt running full windows 8 on a tablet jesus don't do that to android and apple Microsoft hater hate all you want wp8 and windows in general are coming hard.
69. tusshharish posted on 30 Oct 2012, 12:39 2 1
the poll should have one more option
BETTER THAN IOS UI
78. pookiewood posted on 30 Oct 2012, 16:53 0 1
I like it as well and have since my Zune HD. Just Different. It looks good as well. I do miss 2 things from the Zune like the augmented reality when tilting the Zune and being able to tap on the text at the top to go back.
2. hung2900 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:23 9 5
Somebody think it's beautiful, interesting and the tiles are very useful
But i think i will be boring few years later, like N9/L800/L900/L920 design
5. gothicheart posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:27 15 8
probably, it will be boring in a few years, unlike android and ios, which is already boring today...
18. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:44 3 11
I can see it boring right now, no need to wait at all.
27. chaoticrazor posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:01 6 2
Well if its so boring to you why comment, just move on. Others like it. Its down to preferance
But have to say bored of android users hating so much on anything wp8. You all go on about how apple wants everything under there control yet you say things like 'android will replace everything' or 'only need android Theres no room for others etc,
38. AliNSiddiqui posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:48 2 0
He commented because it's a poll!
45. chaoticrazor posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:09 4 2
You can vote without commenting the same thing that most android users seem to be trolling on every wp article
50. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:26 0 0
Hey, are you from North Korea? In North Korea people can only speak like Dear Leader or keep quiet.
But here people have right to say what they think so get used to it.
51. papss posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:29 2 0
Agreed..if you dont like then see you way to another section.. stop trolling
56. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 11:05 0 2
This shows weakness of WP, when you are weak you don't want people to talk about that b-c you can't talk back.
I think WP is boring but I love talking about WP poor quality, that's not trolling by any means. LOL
58. chaoticrazor posted on 30 Oct 2012, 11:15 2 0
Lmao well I'm not wp, stop acting like your android like your a significant part of it its trully tragic.
Second the strongest is the one that feels no need to defend itself against others slating it and as you android use have shown your quick to defend and try prove your choice of os Not secure are you.
Shall we talk about how the lg nexus has no sd card and a real let down, or keep rehashing how fragile the s3 is or how low end android devices are pretty useless and buggy........your just hating for the sake of it
26. Bernoulli posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:59 3 2
Eh I don't think the n9 is boring in the least bit, the windows os yes but not MeeGo man
82. TROLL posted on 30 Oct 2012, 20:29 0 0
i love it N9 true open Linux like Android.
80. jroc74 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 18:32 0 0
I didnt vote because I dont like them, but its nice to have something different. The way the answers were worded, it didnt feel right to vote either way.
Different isnt necessarily better. Android going with icons, to me its the "if it aint broke..." saying.
10. -box- posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:36 13 4
...customization? Like having moveable, resizeable tiles that change their info based on what you want without having to open the app (like a widget) and give you the option to change color, and do not clash or go missing because you chose a conflicting background image?
14. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:39 9 1
Too much customization means less performance stability and more confusion.
25. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:58 0 1
How is it confusing when I'm doing my own customization? If I set my phone up like I want it to look and operate, where's the confusion?
34. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:29 0 0
It might be cofusing for people that are not used to use smartphones, specially kids, women and old people.
47. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:13 0 0
That totally contradicts getting a smartphone then. When you buy a smartphone, you have to know you are getting an advanced mobile device.
If it's too confusing, stick with feature phones.
7. chaoticrazor posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:31 14 0
OK seriously stop the trolling, go enjoy static icons then you have no need to mention that phone in anyway
Just trolling for the sake of it
13. wendygarett posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:38 1 15
That's 5 rows of apps... it's AWESOME!!!! LOLOL :D
31. Android4u posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:13 0 0
your 4 inch screen is awsome! so is your purple flare and static lines. by the way, apple maps is out of this world!!!
33. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:23 3 0
you mean the "icons" that apple license from nokia....
11. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:37 1 0
i dont really care what it is called! :)
12. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:37 5 1
I love them!!!....and they are not copying anyhting that we have seen before, read iOS/Android.
17. timtimity posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:43 4 0
I've never considered a Windows phone but I've just been into a phone shop for a browse while waiting to meet someone. I saw a HTC 8X. The icons on and information on the home screen looked nice. Not sure if better than Android but definitely different, but in a good way..
19. joey_sfb posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:44 2 7
Don't like the Windows 8 interface. Hope they come up with something better next release of windows.
Please make better use of the track pad. Its too primitive to navigate through w8 interface.
46. lubba posted on 30 Oct 2012, 10:10 0 0
That's too bad gramps. You still use old unsupported windows or buy the 2000-3000$ mac PC.
20. Meeii posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:53 4 0
I liked them in WP7 and I like them even better now in WP8. I'm so getting a lumia 920.
21. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:55 0 7
Nope. Tiles are not what I want to see all the time. Biggest reason I won't be using W8 on my computer either.
MS has a great mobile OS, just made it too restrictive with the tiles. If there was a way of getting rid of them, I'd be seriously looking at the Samsung Ativ or Nokia 920.
24. digitalw posted on 30 Oct 2012, 08:56 2 0
It's strange on the begining. but i think it's OK, for me.
Don't argue is it ok or not. If you like it, buy it, if not... don't! :)
Simple as that!
Have a lovely day!
28. ahhxd717 posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:01 9 0
Idk why a lot of people give Microsoft so much crap for trying something new. All the Android guys here scream for innovation, and when Microsoft tries, it's all "ugh so ugly, blah blah". I mean, you might not like the modern ui, but at least it's something out of the ordinary. I like it and think it's a refreshing experience on a phone, especially after having used WM. Definitely looking at WP8 once my upgrade comes.
29. chaoticrazor posted on 30 Oct 2012, 09:04 6 0
Thank you said it better then I could
Android users keep bashing apple for doing Nothing new, then when microsoft bring something refreshing there quick to slate it and defend there os for no actual reason then to try make everyone see android as superior