Windows Phone 8.1 will be able to automatically turn on Wi-Fi
0. phoneArena 19 Feb 2014, 11:45 posted on
It seems like the new additions being uncovered in Windows Phone 8.1 just won't stop. We've been seeing new features all over the place in Microsoft's next mobile update including the new Action Center and tons more. Now, we're getting a look at an interesting new option that will be built into the Wi-Fi settings which will allow the phone to automatically turn Wi-Fi on...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 864; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
Well, the REALLY good news here is that FINALLY devs can code apps like Moto's SMARTACTIONS, Situations, and Tasker, where the apps can automatically change settings like these for us. I should finally be able to cross that one off the list.
23. LuckyS (Posts: 149; Member since: 07 Dec 2013)
No, they can't. User apps will not be able to change this and other system settings.
5. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Rodneyej1, I bet you are as excited and giddy as a school girl....
8. akki20892 (Posts: 3775; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Yes it is. In April. 6 weeks to go. I can't wait for 8.1
20. sgodsell (Posts: 2094; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
For the public its suppose to be July/August. In April/May thats for the developers
21. alterecho (Posts: 1094; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
Exactly! People just seem to ignore that fact.
By THAT time, i expect even more features or fixes.
These are just deliberate leaks to prevent the current, sane, WP users from revolting.
4. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
lol, automatically turn on wifi? You mean, it was not like that before?
10. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
I guess WiFi in Always On mode sucks battery life. Maybe WP isn't as efficient at managing WiFi use as Android/iOS?
25. joey_sfb (Posts: 4087; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Check out "Smart Connect (LiveWare™ Mgr)"
Just download Sony Liveware from Playstore. Its automate base on time, all forms of bluetooth, wifi and docks connections, up to individual hardware such as the different bluetooth headsets that I have owned.
9. tarek1980 (Posts: 139; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
Actually WP8.1 is very promising, when I got Lumia 920 I wasn't able to turn Screen Auto rotation off (GDR2 at the time), but now with WP8.1 I believe that Microsoft with Nokia will take a very big share from smartphone market, in general Windows Phone was such a nice OS specially it is a battery friendly OS, but because of the lack of Apps & options I went back to Android, I believe if the WP8.1 will work as good as WP8 my next smart phone will be from Nokia
12. Credo (Posts: 704; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
Sorry but i think it will be Microsoft branded. Don't get me wrong, i wish the Nokia brand still would be 'stamped' onto the newer smartphones, but i'm afraid their won't be new ones ... Maybe only the successor to the 920 and a few others, but after that, bye bye :(
13. hurrycanger (Posts: 1493; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
"Introducing the Microsoft Lumia...."
That sounds so wrong... :/
17. Credo (Posts: 704; Member since: 19 Apr 2012)
They better bring the Surface name to the phones, it would be awesome, but keep Lumia also. Lumia just for the colorful people, like Apple cals it, and Surface for the clean designs, like the iPhone for example, Lumia Icon or 925 etc.
24. hurrycanger (Posts: 1493; Member since: 01 Dec 2013)
When I hear about Surface phone, I think about the Ubuntu Edge though. They look similar enough. :D
14. SAO101789 (Posts: 123; Member since: 10 Feb 2014)
Every day a new feature of 8.1 is revealed, I can't wait to get my 1st Nokia, I hope M$ doesn't ruin Nokias branding.
22. SAO101789 (Posts: 123; Member since: 10 Feb 2014)
I'm sure microsoft won't do anything the lumia line had always been on WP so I'm sure they won't change it. Best WP = 920, 1020, & 1520 c:
15. X.E.R.O. (unregistered)
MS seems to be on a roll with all these WP 8.1 leaks. Good, because I still don't see WP as a worthy competitor of Android, hope 8.1 will change that.
16. Liveitup (Posts: 1771; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
I actually see it as a better operating system than either Android or iOS, difference of opinions I guess.
26. joey_sfb (Posts: 4087; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Difference of opinions indeed. My service admin that need to stay back to do server os patching called Windows a Swiss Cheese OS, full of holes.