Windows Phone 8.1, GDR1 update in the works, will roll out this year
0. phoneArena 20 Jun 2014, 00:29 posted on
Windows Phone 8.1 has barely graced the public stage and already we are getting word that...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Sriniva1995 (Posts: 33; Member since: 06 Nov 2013)
Way to go Microsoft, the only problem is that these updates are not seen in all the windows phones.only a few phones are updated regularly :-(
2. nlbates66 (Posts: 320; Member since: 15 Aug 2012)
join the dev preview program and you get them instantly when they reach RTM. :P
3. Liveitup (Posts: 1793; Member since: 07 Jan 2014)
All WP gets updated at least those from WP8. Android has update problems not WP.
7. StraightEdgeNexus (Posts: 3682; Member since: 14 Feb 2014)
Yeah my lumia 510 is so awesome, it has WP7 and its so advanced and functional that it puts lagdroid 4.4 shame. And even 256mb of wp>> 3gb ram of lagdroid. Right?
14. 12Danny123 (Posts: 87; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
You do know why WP7 handsets didn't get WP8. Hope you're not that stupid
24. bon24x7 (Posts: 205; Member since: 30 Aug 2012)
Its like saying your Froyo based handset didn't get KitKat. Both Froyo and WP7 came out in 2010.
WP8 and JB 4.2.x came out in Q4 2012. Are all those Android devices running the latest version KitKat 4.4.3? In case of WP, all WP8 devices will get updated to WP8.1 irrespective of lowend or highend device.
Keep trolling harder..
25. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Man you still at WP7? The world is moving to WP8.1. Do you live in North Korea?
10. Alex123 (Posts: 241; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
If i remember correctly, i got 4 updates already but still the update not satisfied me since i lack of mobile data on the action center and the last update make my phone battery drains so fast. Hope Microsoft fixes it as soon as possible.
21. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
This article is talking about the GDR updates, not the Lumia specific updates.. You know GDR1,2,3... Not Cyan, Black, or Amber...
The fact is that MS/Nokia updates their devices so much that its hard to keep track of them all... I think their will have been over 15 in 16 months by the time Cyan is released... The only other platform that is that good at updating over 90% of their devices is iOS..
4. naqsh (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Jun 2014)
Just updated to 8.1. Awesome Stuff.
Cant wait for the next Update.
22. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
Yes, it is worlds better than anything we've seen on WP so far... And, we still have at least 2 GDR updates to go for WP8.1, and another major update in the pipes.. There's no telling how feature rich WP will be by then,,, most likely surpassing iDroid in terms of OS features, and functionality.. This is what MS said its goal was after WP8.1, and they seem to be living up to it.
8. Miracles (Posts: 560; Member since: 31 Aug 2013)
Used to own a Nokia Lumia 920...I really liked that phone but it was less customizable then.....Im probably gonna be one of the first to switch to "McLaren" flagship when it comes out ..fingers crossed it comes on Tmobile. Ill say bye to Android then.
11. Alex123 (Posts: 241; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Good for you bro! for me, i am looking for android now because wp not meet my expectation and as you said it's not customizable like my experience with android but i hope will be more open in the future
12. 12Danny123 (Posts: 87; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
It's been rumoured to come to T-Mobile, Verizon and AT&T :)
9. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1352; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I went with Windows smart phones and i am not sad i did because Microsoft is making a strong effort to improve the Windows 8 class smart phones . Thanks for the good work Microsoft.
13. 12Danny123 (Posts: 87; Member since: 18 Aug 2012)
Such a shame Android always have to wait for ages for updates. I'm still waiting for Android 4.4.2 on my LG G2 in my country
15. sgodsell (Posts: 2415; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
KitKat is already available for the LG G2. You could install the update your self.
29. Cicero (Posts: 704; Member since: 22 Jan 2014)
Do you really need that upgrade? Do you realize people here are talking about windows phone os which is far far behind of what you have from already 1year ago? And now they have hope in the bright distant future when they can enjoy their is like you already done from more than 3 years.
16. tigermcm (Posts: 832; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
Some of you need not be apart of the dev preview of you cannot understand the simple fact that singer issue need firmware updates to fix which doesn't come with the dev preview!
17. Zylam (Posts: 238; Member since: 20 Oct 2010)
Yea sure MS, my 1020 still hasn't received the 8.1 update, and anyone who says join the dev program clearly does not own a windows phone, the dev updates don't have any of the Nokia apps, without them windows phone is useless and the dev OS versions are buggy.
MS updates are just as bad as Android, the fanboi's who say otherwise are delusional.
18. -box- (Posts: 3973; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that certain apps are restricted on Dev Previews, but I'm running 8.10.12397 on my Lumia 925 and I have all the Nokia apps I want. I don't yet have the Nokia Cyan release (only the new 630 has that, officially) but I will soon, and I'm not limited in any way by not having it.
19. elitewolverine (Posts: 3524; Member since: 28 Oct 2013)
I can call your 'bluff', running 3 nokia 925's, nokia 521, all have nokia apps, and even running the nokia cam beta app that takes 'live' pictures. HTC 8x running dev preview as well. That makes it 5 phones now with dev preview no issues.
Only bug i have gotten, is that one of the phones, the volume wouldnt ring, restarted and fixed.
Best part is that, with the 8.1 backup, i am never afraid to do a reset, ever.
23. rodneyej1 (Posts: 3576; Member since: 06 Jul 2013)
What are you talking about??. The developers preview doesn't contain any of the Nokia apps??... Are you trolling?
27. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2058; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Are you? The guy clearly doesn't own a WP and is just here to troll, like his club members SEN, alterecho and sgodsell.
28. darksantacruz (Posts: 14; Member since: 09 Jun 2014)
Lol do you even own a WP?!! I have a 820 running WP8.1 dev preview with no bugs so far and with all Nokia apps. Please if possible don't write stupid things.