Windows Phone 8 might run on Snapdragon S4, coming to Sprint late 2012?
0. phoneArena 29 Feb 2012, 07:36 posted on
The engineering team behind Windows Phone is testing Qualcomm’s MSM8960 chip, part of the Snapdragon S4 series, and it could be ready for release on at least one phone running Windows…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. speckledapple (Posts: 892; Member since: 29 Sep 2011)
i will be waiting for a quad core s4 before anything else this fall. Come november, I should have an amazing device to choose from.
2. tigermcm (Posts: 832; Member since: 02 Sep 2009)
with this news being on Spring i'll start saving my money now
3. StreetNerd (Posts: 760; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
quad core on WP o_0 it will be so fast u wont even see the animations
5. shuraib (Posts: 1; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
i think some people miss the point on multi cores... firstly coming from a programmer background, i was a big android fan... but this new windows os 7.5 is simply good enough for convincing me of abandoning android... i do not think for one minutes about specs since using windows os 7.5... i have a nokia lumia 800... i can say for the first time nokia has done very well... they used outdated softwares and continue to do so in third world countries unfortunately to accumulate capital to compete in europe.... nokia has finally adopted a winning formula with windows.... forget multicores if your main purpose if growing internet, phone emails, youtube... some partial angry bird games... the only thing i miss from android is the shortcuts to different setting from android but i can forsake it for this well designed os.
6. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Okay, so the scorecard is as follows:
1) Back in Nokia World, the big wigs said our first devices are great, but wait until you see our devices on Apollo.
2) Microsoft said our Mango devices are great, but just wait for multi-core, hi def screens, Office tools, and upgrades on Apollo.
3) Samsung said we are disappointed with our Omnia/Focus Flash and Focus S sales, but we are dedicated to WP, and we will up our game with Apollo.
4) HTC said we are excited about the future of WP, they make us money, but just you wait until you see what we have with Apollo.
5) Now Sprint is interested, but not until a quad-core monster is released on Apollo?
So, we will 1 great effort (Nokia 900/910 for Europe), one updated effort (Titan 2), and mid range efforts from ZTE and LG as well as low end Tango releases for developing countries (great plan, always thought that was well thought out) to compete with every other offering until Winter of this year?
Boy, I bet most of WP potential sales wait.on Apollo.
9. W.P._Android_in_that_Order (Posts: 208; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
@snowgator if i could thumbs-up you a dozen times for this comment. I would. Add me to the list of people who are completely stoked for windows8 to arrive. Actually, im gonna add mydelf to your list.
6) this fanboy is super stoked about the launch of Apollo.
12. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
W.P.A.I.T.O- I am already saving cash for my next phone..... WP8, hi def, multi core, better gaming, better Office tools, cross platform goodies, how excited am I......
7. simplyj (Posts: 404; Member since: 23 Dec 2009)
maybe I ditched Sprint for T-Mobile too soon? That 3G though, Sprint sucks at that.
8. -box- (Posts: 3973; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
nah. Sprint's not doing too well financially, their 4G plans are in the trash, they're planning on scrapping their existining 3G and iDen networks to restructure and make a new 3G network, and their phones are still mediocre. Wouldn't surprise me if they go the way of SAAB
10. nickjjay (Posts: 79; Member since: 10 Oct 2011)
i personally am excited for when Apollo comes on the Samsung Exynos processor. THAT will be awesome.
11. snowgator (Posts: 3386; Member since: 19 Jan 2011)
Dude, I just wish Microsoft would get off their high horse and let Sammy do that!! Wow, that baby would roll on an Exynos!!
13. lubba (Posts: 1313; Member since: 17 Jan 2011)
What about faithful tmo and everybody else? These kinds of rumors just pisses me of! The term fragmentation comes to mind.