Windows 8 Consumer Preview now available
0. phoneArena 29 Feb 2012, 09:22 posted on
Windows 8 has finally come. Well, almost - the Windows 8 Consumer Preview is up for grabs over at Microsoft and you can install it and immerse yourselves in the Metro UI-dominated…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. cepcamba (Posts: 717; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Windows on a tablet would be so sweeeeeeeeet :)
9. Reality (Posts: 3; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
This is quality software, not like others which are just designed to meet deadlines.
2. REYNER (Posts: 187; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
windows starting their process of being a unified os. my question is that, what will happen if im using an android and a windows 8 pc? hmm interesting hoefully compatibility isn't that a problem :)
3. T12RYK (Posts: 98; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
My PC will stay on Windows 7 but I'm deffo getting a Windows 8 tablet! Wish they'd hurry up tho, I wanna buy a tablet soon!!
4. windowsRocks (Posts: 152; Member since: 28 Oct 2011)
Looks nice. Go ahead & kill Android & IOS
6. troybuilt (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
I think I'll stick with Windows 7 for now until the official release of Windows 8. When they've fixed all the bugs and sluggishness of the OS, then I may decide to get it. When they pushed this Windows 8 UI onto xbox 360 made it very laggy and sluggish. I wish MS hadn't done that because I would be one of the first one's in line for Windows 8, but working with xbox 360 these past several months has made me very frustrated with MS.
13. -box- (Posts: 3991; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
To be fair, you're talking about a UI update, not a desktop operating system. Maybe there's something on your xbox making it slower, like the hard drive being too full, or a RAM module being burnt out. A modern desktop OS wouldn't run on an xbox
16. troybuilt (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Do you have an Xbox 360? Mine is brand new. 250GB Slim. There's plenty of memory left. As far as RAM module, my last 2 xbox's did the same thing. The new UI dashboard is just slow and sluggish, has nothing to do with the console.
20. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Shoulda got a PS3... No lag whatsoever there, and I've had it since it released :P
7. Caunsidh (Posts: 9; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
This OS will be great for tablets, but not for desktop computers.
8. troybuilt (Posts: 155; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
I too agree. I'm sure it will be great on both tablets and phones.
10. alterecho (Posts: 1098; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
I too thought that at first. I later realized that they are integrating kinect into desktops and soon, I had a change of heart.
Can you imagine how cool it would be to control Metro UI with kinect? If they do that is...
14. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
METRO UI IS UGLY.
Am i wrong or this IU don't support things live wallpaper background(or a wallpaper at all!), simple icons or widgets, besides live tiles?!?
Please someone clarify that.
18. Penny (Posts: 1647; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
The traditional Windows desktop is still available within Windows 8. Feel free to customize. Also it was stated in another video that the background can be customized in the Metro view.
You get both worlds, so can't really complain there.
22. frydaexiii (Posts: 1429; Member since: 01 Dec 2011)
Yeah, It's not ugly, I just hate that it's completely covering up my wallpaper and stuff...But unlike Apple, at least they left the Windows Desktop there...
15. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
oh and yeah, what about VOICE CONTROL, microsoft?
It's a feature smarphones use for years now, but your PC's can't?
Talking about being behind.
I can't wait for Google's next desktop grade OS release, and even Apple's.
17. downphoenix (Posts: 3155; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
actually Voice control capabilities have been available since Windows 98. Maybe not built into the OS perhaps but there have been options for this.
19. Penny (Posts: 1647; Member since: 04 Feb 2011)
No idea what kind of voice control support Windows 8 will have. I'd assume that they would start to integrate their TellMe voice control with it, but don't know for sure.
They are, however, working on integrating the Kinect with the operating system's functions. Behind? Let's wait and see what they come out with this year. I think they're going to hit people with so many things all at once that denial will be simply impossible.
21. Cwebb (Posts: 501; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
@Victor or anyone else who has this, is there any differences from this one to the developer one? I already got the developer version and don't want to go through the process for no real reason
23. ENIGMA (Posts: 81; Member since: 17 Feb 2012)
ANOTHER CRAP FAILURE RESTRICTION ITS BEEN 5 YEARS STILL NO PROGRESS LIMITED
ANDROID MUCH BETTER IOS OKAY BUT QUWALTY APPS THO PREMIUM
WINDOWS CRAP 8
WINDOWS 10 YES OPEN FREE LIKE ANDROID