Will the Sony Xperia Z cope with the fierce competition of 2013? Here's what you think about this
0. phoneArena posted on 11 Jan 2013, 08:28
The Sony Xperia Z was probably the most exciting phone at this year's CES expo. As a matter of fact, it was the only high-end smartphone from a brand-name manufacturer, which means that while it managed to stand out from the rest of the CES crowd, it might not have such an easy time later this year when Samsung, Motorola and HTC reveal their big products...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
14. _Bone_ posted on 11 Jan 2013, 10:17 2 0
Impressive product by Sony. BTW, any idea why include touch buttons in the screen not put under it? There's the space so why take away from screen real estate?
15. adjou posted on 11 Jan 2013, 11:09 2 1
To decrease the bezel size. Also decreases the size of the phone.
27. IHateApple posted on 12 Jan 2013, 02:01 0 1
I think they did it to reduce the vertical height of the phone. In other words, they did this to make the smallest phone they could with a 5 inch screen.
3. skuld posted on 11 Jan 2013, 08:53 4 10
that lenovo ideaphone is something to look forward to.
17. smartphonemad posted on 11 Jan 2013, 11:59 5 0
Really can't understand why this has been thumbed down. A dual core atom processor clocked at 2ghz? How's that not exciting?
28. IHateApple posted on 12 Jan 2013, 02:03 0 0
x86 won't gain as much support as ARM has. That's what I believe.
P.S I didn't thumb him down. It's his opinion.
5. Andrewtst posted on 11 Jan 2013, 09:11 7 2
Yes! Sony can success this year! Xperia Z was success phone to miss. :)
6. valapsp posted on 11 Jan 2013, 09:17 9 2
Full HD display, super thin, water/dust resistant, SLEEK, 13 MP shooter, Powerful ,....
WHAT DO U WANT MORE?
21. pyradark posted on 11 Jan 2013, 18:19 0 0
with stamina mode, you dont need to worry about the battery
WHAT ELSE??? :))
29. IHateApple posted on 12 Jan 2013, 02:07 0 0
As far as I have read Stamina Mode is for standby online. We are talking about battery life when say, watching Youtube. My phone dies in just over 2 hours on 100% charge when watching Youtube over Wifi, which is just horrible.
I also want a great camera. Optimus G also has 13 MP camera. But it's only okayish.
I also want early software updates. The OS should be stable and fluid.
That's about all I want.
8. boss23 posted on 11 Jan 2013, 09:28 2 0
i belive that the next big upgrade that people will want is the smartphone that gives handjob ...
19. InspectorGadget80 posted on 11 Jan 2013, 13:55 0 1
Oh yeah my fault
9. SellPhones82 posted on 11 Jan 2013, 09:40 0 0
I think it will do very well outside the US. Not sure what it will do inside the US until we see what, if any, US Carriers are going to pick it up.
10. buccob posted on 11 Jan 2013, 09:42 9 0
I really think that even if the S4 is vastly more popular (and will be) and other phones such as Motorola Nexus (X?) and newer LG phones may come with better specs... The Sony Xperia Z and ZL are meant to reach a lot of markets given their frequencies arrange...
Sony might not be the first releasing octa cores, HD and full HD screens... But they DO offer very good hardware and nice enough software to go along... and they actually INNOVATE quite a bit and take risks...
I think their Wet Tracking technology is one of the most useful implementations not only for waterproof phones, but also because I know some people who sweat their hands a lot and that prevents them to get touch screen phones...
Motorola made a bold and impressive feature by mixing a smartphone with waterproof certification keeping a decent enclosure...
And now Sony has raised the bar with their truly High End, flagship device also meeting those standards.
Yes, the Sony Xperia Z can do it!
13. chasetorres125 posted on 11 Jan 2013, 10:07 5 1
The better question would be can they cope up with xperia z.with tough glass all over very premium build,bravia 2 new camera sensor Plus the dust and waterproof its over before it started hehe and dont worry by june they will upgrade it to snapdragon s4 800 like the arc and arc s... xperia s then by 2nd quarter sL
30. IHateApple posted on 12 Jan 2013, 02:09 0 0
That would be great. But only as long as it maintains good battery life.
18. MistB posted on 11 Jan 2013, 13:24 0 0
The Xperia Z and ZL are Sony's flagship phones for the first half of the year, like HTC, Sony has a knack for releasing something much better 6 months later. My bet is they'll release a 5.5-6 inch phablet running either snapdragon 600/800 for the mid range/high end, Tegra 4 or even the Exynos 5 Octa for the flagship phablet.
The Z and ZL will most likely get an update to 4.2 by July when KLP is announced.
22. Edmund posted on 11 Jan 2013, 18:50 3 1
The average phone user doesn't give a crap about specs. Most people make their purchase based on:
1. Brand (what their friends, parents, colleagues use. which brands they've owned in the past)
2. Price (generally speaking, consumers don't like to be ripped off)
3. Camera (correctly/incorrectly based on megapixels alone)
4. Battery life
What the average consumer does not give a crap about:
1. Whether the operating system is open source or not
2. The number of applications in the market
3. Firmware updates
23. MC1123 posted on 11 Jan 2013, 20:59 0 0
i am really inlove with xperia z! however, since im not a fan of android, i might get this! but what's holding my back is that on screen navigation! sony should just stick to the capacitive buttons!! on screen nav sucks!!! why i dont like the nexus!
lets see what will HTC's going to give us!
24. abish1234 posted on 11 Jan 2013, 21:32 0 3
Just Wait untill The next galaxy releases..Xperia Z will be blown away B)..
32. pyradark posted on 12 Jan 2013, 08:52 0 0
Yeah! By speed Only, but xperia Z will crash The plasticky of S4
25. rcwfox2002 posted on 11 Jan 2013, 23:01 0 0
Only if they are on more than 1 carrier. From the looks of it they are missing out on a huge market share not being available to Verizon, Sprint, US Cellular, Metro PCS etc. so this phone will not make any big waves.
31. IHateApple posted on 12 Jan 2013, 02:11 0 0
Yeah. That's what made SGS3 the phone to beat. It launched on all carriers.
33. brycdavis posted on 12 Jan 2013, 09:22 0 0
Please Please Please don't pull an HTC and change the specs for the US release of the phone! I want all that goodness!
34. b1acktiger posted on 12 Jan 2013, 14:14 0 0
it would be a tough competition, As HTC Butterfly is already flying in the markets and they gonna throw one more device at MWC. So do Samsung, LG and Motorola. Can't predict. Will watchout.. Good luck Sony!
35. lkjhg755 posted on 12 Jan 2013, 17:58 0 0
Xperia Z is easily best for a little while, its only competition in Q1 will be the new ZTE flagship, but will have a hard time when HTC and Samsung release their flagships in Q2. It will probably be replaced by a successors in q3 that will beat out LG and X phone.
My rankings of perception of quality of the announced 1080p phones so far:
1. Xperia Z (best all around specs)
2. ZTE grand S (fast and thin but about 10 minute battery life)
3. HTCDroid DNA (surpassed in features but still good)
4. Huawei ascend D2 (good spec sheet, but plasticky looking and lackluster copy)
36. b1acktiger posted on 13 Jan 2013, 15:07 0 0
You forgot that HTC Butterfly is ready to launch in international markets as its also a 5" 1080p with good specs. They're only behind in camera dept. which is 8 vs 13. Some wat there is a competitor for Sony Z !
37. theZED posted on 16 Jan 2013, 13:36 0 0
When it's rolling anything is nothing to Sony. See the history. It will again be the most trusted Electronics brand.