Why did Apple pull Google Maps with a year still left on the contract?
0. phoneArena 25 Sep 2012, 21:50 posted on
The thought was that Apple had replaced Google Maps with its own application because the contract between Apple and Google had expired and because Apple wanted Google off iOS; it turns out Apple still had a year left before the contract expired...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. wendygarett (unregistered)
Burger king here I Come!!! :D
25. PAPINYC (Posts: 1958; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Not if you can't find it.
On second thought, iPhone users don't need turn-by-turn; they just follow each other until they get where they are going.
30. jacko1977 (Posts: 376; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
benny hill music starts to play
35. -box- (Posts: 3537; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
yeah, but who is leading the one in front? And where are they going?
42. bayusuputra (Posts: 939; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
Tim Cook, and they are going to Burger King..
5. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
sorry dude, wendygarett will always be there when it comes to apple news! :D
20. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
talk about self infliction :)))))
27. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
haha epic fail..
or should I say: EPIC FALE
34. PapaSmurf (Posts: 5926; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Don't ask a high school student that question lol.
43. bayusuputra (Posts: 939; Member since: 12 Feb 2012)
if you want to extend that "O" sound, put more than two O's..
otherwise the meaning won't be so tight..
32. wendygarett (unregistered)
Here's a cookie :)
4. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
They did notice those things but they can't do anything to fix it on time. They should have let the contract expire before releasing a maps app that's fully functional and well built. What they did was like an "Elop's thing" where they dump a good product before having a nicely built one.
29. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
And, based on other articles that have 'leaked', it doesn't look like Google is going to be releasing a Google Maps app for iOS any time soon. Apple may have drunk too much of its Kool-Aid this time around....
6. Aeires (unregistered)
Apple has an adapter for the Lightning connector that has a built in GPS chip and remote control capability. When you purchase it, it syncs with the satellites and uses voice commands from Siri to take control of your car to get you to your destination. They don't need Google, they've got it all covered.
8. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
Covered as in the whole world covered with not uniform maps? Maps with grayscale images. Maps that's inaccurate. Maps that will get you lost instead of guiding you?
11. Aeires (unregistered)
Siri knows all, resistance is futile.
26. Nadr1212 (Posts: 741; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
Your avatar's a creepy thing to look at.
17. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
try asking where you leave your keys.
"Siri, where did I leave my keys?"
"Do you want me to search the web for that?"
28. 305Bucko (Posts: 506; Member since: 07 Aug 2011)
hmmm I guess the new Siri update says:
"not sure, but wherever you find them, thats where they are."
46. jroc74 (Posts: 3629; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
No....Siri will just ask to show you a picture of a unicorn.
52. jroc74 (Posts: 3629; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Ahh...I meant to say pic of a stallion. Thats why I couldnt find the phrase when I Googled it...lol.
36. noim1 (Posts: 277; Member since: 15 May 2012)
WEll if u buy apple you just have to buy more and more adapters and gadgets for it to work....ha ha makes me laugh XD ....thats how apple makes its empire and stealing money form ppl .....this is just too hilarious , all ur life you just have to buy and buy .....
50. Fallout09 (Posts: 408; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Apples new slogan...."There's an adapter for that".... Nice.
49. Aeires (unregistered)
Seriously, I thought it was obvious. lol
9. JcHnd (Posts: 81; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
So now I can go to the church while I eat my whopper? cool!
10. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
the amazing apple maps! just wow! :P
24. OptimusOne (Posts: 694; Member since: 22 May 2012)
apple doesn't want to be sued by google for having a burgerking building where the burgerking location is(as in google maps)
13. vivek_ananda (Posts: 14; Member since: 20 Jan 2012)
apple is blinded by its arrogance and ego. If they don't realise it soon, they are gonna end up like blackberry
15. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
well... they are fruits! they have their own world!
but thats the very reason why apple make its own maps.. and want to hire google engineer! they want to be a one comepany!
19. vddeguzman (Posts: 41; Member since: 12 Jul 2012)
It was just an arrogant move for Apple. Also, as if they made their own maps only this year. They've been working on it for 3 years, so using Apple maps in iOS is not because Google maps in Android have turn-by-turn navigation while iOS doesn't. This is just a lame excuse for Apple to make Google look bad.
From what I understand from this article, Apple puts the blame on Google for not offering the same features of Google Maps in iOS. If iOS have turn-by-turn navigation then Apple wouldn't have used their own maps.
Apple is really good in fooling their users to blame Google rather than them. If Apple owners believe this crap, then indeed these guys are stupid and deserve to suffer faulty unreliable maps by their beloved Apple.
21. ogtomasx (Posts: 42; Member since: 25 Aug 2012)
Goooo Ahead beg for GOOGLE MAPS...LOL i hope google charge at least 9.99 in the apple store that would be super funny....
23. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
so basically only android and google use google maps now.. while nokia maps will be avaialable to kindle fire, windows phone and nokia asha and as a website for all platform!
40. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Google Maps is available in a website version. Try maps.google.com
37. xtremesv (Posts: 180; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
Apple is hiring former Google Maps employees? Will Apple develop a Google Maps copycat? Naaahhhh, they're so creative, they don't steal ideas.
45. jroc74 (Posts: 3629; Member since: 30 Dec 2010)
Notice how you dont see too many comments about this from Pro Apple folks.
Maybe they are starting to see the hypocrisy of Apple?
38. sabretigger (Posts: 19; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
I think Apple must of found vulnerabilities in Google's patents for their maps, hence Apple has rushed their patented map service and may be planning to sue..
39. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
More like Apple did not want to continue feeding ad revenues and search info to Google. There were also qualitative differences between Maps for iOS and Navigation for Android (for example, no integration with contacts, where you can open a contact record and have Navigation give you turn-by-turn directions to that address). Apple thought their home-grown mapping solution was further along than it really was. This is an example of the difference between Steve and Timmy - Steve personally uses the stuff he is trying to sell. Timmy delegates. Guess who knows sooner that something is not ready for prime time?
47. PhenomFaz (Posts: 1059; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
why did apple do what they did?
Cause they are proud arrogant schmucks who think out of their rear ends!
Really in the end its a loss for the sheep...not that I feel sorry for them :)
48. loki1618 (Posts: 18; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
I agree with apple. If you selling me something you have to sell it to me with everything that it comes with, don't leave one of its best feature out and use it for yourself and then give me the left over. I don't want it. so good going apple creating your own stuff and now that you have identify its flaws you can fix them with the next update which i hope will be by the end of november.