Who designs the best looking smartphones?
0. phoneArena 19 Feb 2013, 11:45 posted on
Look, it is hard to judge design as it is sometimes so subjective, but there seem to be some general agreement on what’s good and what’s not…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
81. gmracer1 (Posts: 646; Member since: 28 Dec 2012)
They seriously left out Moto from this list?!? They make the smexiest phones!!!!!!!!!!
84. nasznjoka (Posts: 385; Member since: 05 Oct 2012)
any innovation on this new htc? i see only the camera
87. Andelson (Posts: 4; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
I don't think so. Everything of they are calling as inovation, already was done for Nokia and Sony for years ago. See Nokia N95/N8/808 and Lumia 920...
179. nogetch (Posts: 11; Member since: 23 Feb 2013)
WTF was 808????
Its just a software gimmik !!
85. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
WTF why sony haven't even com close
86. Andelson (Posts: 4; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
What we're noting here, is a personal taste, and brand preference. Few people really understands what design means. HTC, best design, really? Even Apple with its eternal Iphone design is better.
90. drWho (Posts: 3; Member since: 19 Feb 2013)
I would have to say Nokia. Its no secret HTC copies Nokia's N9 and concept phone designs for their Windows line. HTC's Android One ,which is a nice looking phone , is HTC's last stand. Plunging profits and having lost the Windows race to Nokia and the Android race to Sammie could spell the end of HTC soon.
91. StreetNerd (Posts: 808; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
just love the iconic Lumia 800 design! period.
93. StreetNerd (Posts: 808; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
oh my list:
1. Nokia: unique new design language (Lumia 800)
2. Sony: all Sony products are stylish (Xperia Arc S?!)
3. HTC: ups and downs... (notable mentions: Diamond, Legend, Desire Z, 8X)
4. BB: Some of the Bold series are nice, (ohhh Q10 is sxy not sure bout Z10 thou)
4. Apple: same designs for 3 years now... (4, 4s, 5 -_-)
4. Samsung: they all look the same... (Omina 7 is ok...)
The ugly ducks
5. LG: boring bricks, (Optimus Black has a nice back thats all)
6. Motorola: they arent active in Europe (last Moto phone i saw was the V66 :'))
Dont hate me :P
103. Deacon_Jo (Posts: 9; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
my Man !! , I couldn't agree more ,, nothing can beat the iconic Amazing design of the Lumia800 and thee N9 ..which sat the bar so High !
and am still bragging about my BeautifuL Cyan Lumia800 2 Years later .
111. maccess (Posts: 739; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
i don't know why but maybe it's just me.. but when the first time nokia announced the N9.. i always think they take the design from ipod nano 7th generation.. no offence nokia fans just my thought..
112. maccess (Posts: 739; Member since: 16 Jan 2013)
my bad i mean 6th generation but make it bigger..
95. pookiewood (Posts: 631; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
Lumia 920 speaks for itself. I'm voting based on the Lumia 620 (a phone I plan to buy to compliment my 920). I own the 920 but I also love the look of the 620. Design wise it has dual color shells so the user can mod the colors even more. The back cover has the headphone jack built into it so if the headphone jacks messes up get a new back cover. It's small but still the build quality has been reported to be good. It's just a nice looking device.
96. akki20892 (Posts: 3874; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
Every single nokia phones have unique design........not like htc picking same design for each smartphone like a HTC One and others........!!!
109. Johnnokia (Posts: 988; Member since: 27 May 2012)
Exactly right. Nokia has a wide rang of various designs. On the other hand, Samsung has one design for 100 phone.
100. Deacon_Jo (Posts: 9; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
as if there anything else other than NOKIA !!!
104. Deacon_Jo (Posts: 9; Member since: 10 Feb 2013)
LUMIA 800 & thee N9 .....
The BEST and most Iconic design ever made ...
a design that is simply BeautifuL !!
I mean common guys ,, you've gotta agree with me on this ,, regardless to what You use right now .
105. moronman66 (Posts: 162; Member since: 09 Jan 2012)
I have always had a preference for HTC designs and their build quality, maybe it's just me, but I think the design for the HTC One is very aesthetically pleasing. The front looks a bit similar to the back of the iPhone 5, but the EVO 4G LTE also had a kind of similar design, so I can see where it's coming from I suppose
107. GeekMovement (Posts: 2127; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
My opinion is that Sony leads in terms with its design with the Xperia Z still. The rugged water & dust proof design still impresses me more so than the HTC and definitely Apple's design (getting really old).
113. MC1123 (Posts: 1254; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
there's no doubt that nokia is the best in design!! next is sony! samsung is the best in copying!!!
122. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 166; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Nokia takes it for me. It's like their designers come from Vogue or something. They have very bold and fresh designs; quirky and elegant at the same time. Chubbiness may be an issue, but the added durability justifies it for me.
Sony takes second place. I adore their slick Nxt language and I just wanna eat the Xperia Z up. Water and scratch resistance are great too. They lack the chicness of Nokia, but make up with their confident and clean artistry.
HTC takes third place, because while their designs are also bold and hardy, their copying is just too blatant for me and it's like they don't even try to cover it up with something of their own.
Samsung is third, and I'm glad to see them starting move away from Apple-esque designs and make something of their own. I appreciate the pebble theme of their recent phones like the SIII.
Blackberry is fifth. The Z10 is very sleek, but the more I look into it the more generic it feels. Still, props to BB for putting their own spin in the black slab.
Apple wins fifth place. They sure know how to make a black slab look cool, but like many people are saying, their design is very old and tired. Hopefully they come up with something refreshing soon or more and more fans will grow tired of them as well.
LG takes sixth place. Their designs don't really pop out to me and sometimes I even mistake them for an iPhone or a Samsung. Their Nexus 4 appeals to me the most, but even that feels generic to me.
123. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 166; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
Ooops, sorry for the mixups in rankings.
124. rutul666 (unregistered)
For me in terms of all of its smartphones line HTC wins but the best ever phone designed would have the Apple iPhone 4, god it is beautiful to look and hold.
125. preet27in (banned) (Posts: 173; Member since: 07 Jul 2012)
without any doubt its THE HTC. the best phone designers.
129. KiranPAUSER (Posts: 73; Member since: 15 Feb 2013)
Nokia all the way. Nokia started the polycarbonate unibody design and all preying upon that.
130. serge327 (Posts: 64; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
WT... Nokia get high score on phone design? i say no to nokia design. i think SONY did very good design in Xperia Line. SONY's design ROCK!
136. emadshiny (Posts: 1144; Member since: 05 Dec 2012)
i think both Sony and Nokia are the best in term of design and these votes you're seeing here are the result of those loyal lover of Nokia (mine included)
131. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Everyone hates Nokia but they still produces the best looking handsets.
I wouldn't call polycarbonate a cheap plastic. It is far better, durable and better looking than plastic which is being used by samsung or the others.
They flirted with other materials in the past, but despiote the great look of N8 and this cold feel in yopur hands, polycarbonate is more durable than alu.
134. StreetNerd (Posts: 808; Member since: 08 Dec 2010)
only if it has a matt finish, coz glossy is cheap....
145. volcano (Posts: 293; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
Nokia > HTC > Sony > Blackberry > iphone > LG > anything > samsung
149. akki20892 (Posts: 3874; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
you misplace 2nd and 3rd.........sony is second and htc is third........vote showing us true buddy.....!!!
158. volcano (Posts: 293; Member since: 25 Jan 2013)
its my opinion i don't care about pool results
i think HTC has better designs than sony
150. I_newbie (Posts: 1; Member since: 20 Feb 2013)
Though I like the Z10 from blackberry but I voted for Nokia, nice design, solid looking!
154. phonemirer (Posts: 111; Member since: 07 Dec 2012)
nokia uses the same design of the n9, but it still rules
156. mattypaul (Posts: 17; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Nokia. With the beautiful polycarbonate design, curved screen that flows into the body, amazing colours, simplicity, and durability, they are the winners.
160. amats69 (Posts: 1256; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
My list for this poll..
161. amats69 (Posts: 1256; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
Im just wondering on this poll...coz ive voted already this poll last feb 19 night and i saw htc is leading with i think more than 40 percent.....correct me if im wrong
162. nghiadt (Posts: 1; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Nokia has always the best hardware and design
164. rizevnarastek (Posts: 338; Member since: 06 Sep 2012)
I guess Nokia pays people to vote for them /down-vote others LOL... Maybe PA should change the way people vote - as in one user one vote ;)
165. pratyushgaur.6 (Posts: 24; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
Death of Design!! Nokia is leading!! :O
167. tha.fox (Posts: 100; Member since: 30 Nov 2011)
i personally think Nokia phone are very ugly
168. pratyushgaur.6 (Posts: 24; Member since: 21 Feb 2013)
So....Will Elop now get down to paying money to PhoneArena? Desperate measures!! xD
169. Latios (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
I dont think that there is people even voted for nokia, HTC has the best looking phone out there, admit it
171. Riddy (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Feb 2013)
Guys its about BEST-LOOKING smartphone not the individual OSs lol
172. TalkingTechy (Posts: 97; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I think it's easier to vote on the Mfg that does NOT make the best looking devices......Nokia wins that one.
174. Altair (Posts: 367; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
The thing is, that without question recent Nokia devices are the best designed and durable cute little devices. Nokia is the one who spends a lot of money on R&D and it shows out.
HTC one has good desig as well. The main difference is, that it is NOT HTC design. It is direct Apple rip off, like material choices are. This makes HTC product unrelevant. Poor HTC has tryed everything in past couple years and failed. Now it tryes to imitate Samsung, yet another copycat. HTC tryes to play the same game like samsuck. Copy everything that has success and take care of patent lawsuit case later. They hope that device success and they can pay the bill later. Now they just rip offs wverthing that is cool. Ie. Apple design, windows tiles ( blink feed), and Nokia pureview & ois.
Shame on you HTC, dont you get it that western countries still have people who respect originality, respect of laws and other properties. Then there are few rogue mindednpeople who buysvthis crap...
175. akashssw (Posts: 1; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
htc makes realy nice phones and thats why i switched from samsung s3 to htc butterfly :D and super happy with the change !!