Who designs the best looking smartphones?
0. phoneArena posted on 19 Feb 2013, 11:45
Look, it is hard to judge design as it is sometimes so subjective, but there seem to be some general agreement on what’s good and what’s not…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
75. maccess posted on 19 Feb 2013, 14:36 2 1
i would put samsung above LG for sure.. most of LG phones now looks like the galaxy s2 and even optimus G pro looks like the note 2..
76. Berzerk000 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 14:43 4 0
I put LG above Samsung for the Optimus G and the Nexus 4 alone.
77. maccess posted on 19 Feb 2013, 14:47 0 0
but then again the nexus 4 still using same language design from the previous galaxy nexus... but yeah just my opinion..
79. Berzerk000 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 15:20 0 0
All Nexus have similar design language, only slightly differentiating themselves from, the previous generation. The Nexus 4 was less rounded than the Galaxy Nexus, and had a glass back instead of the textured plastic on the Galaxy Nexus (which was much appreciated) and a couple minor facial differences.
It was really the glass back and the way the glass on the front flowed off the edge of the display that made it look better and feel much better in the hand than the Galaxy Nexus.
108. shirtlessrabbit4 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 17:44 2 0
I think the nexus 4 looks great and that lg is the best, at least way further up that list! I may seem weird to say that, but think about it. Nexus 4 looks great to me, optimus g is very pretty, and even the 4X HD looks good to me: simplistic, slim, boxey (which is fine by me!) Go ahead, thumb me down if you disagree. Im just saying what i think
110. Berzerk000 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 17:53 0 0
Yeah, now that I think about it I should switch LG and Nokia. But, once again, I like curvy and ergonomic devices, and that's what puts Sony on top of LG (not counting the Xperia Z); but the Nexus 4 is definitely more appealing than Nokia's handsets, the Optimus G is debatable.
10. muhsen posted on 19 Feb 2013, 11:52 8 3
ur context of " colorful plastic Lumia smartphones" and " just as Samsung, Nokia is on the side of the fence preferring plastic to the intricacies of aluminum" is as if lumia phones r cheap looking and fragile ??????!
15. aokde posted on 19 Feb 2013, 11:55 18 20
really people? HTC?
sony designs are the best, software wise and hardware wise.
101. rgxVOiD posted on 19 Feb 2013, 17:10 5 1
How exactly is Xperia arc a boring rectangle? and neo, ray, mini, pro, X10, X1... list goes on to their Sony Ericsson days
114. pyradark posted on 19 Feb 2013, 18:16 3 1
blinded by sammy plastic and htc all around copier(Z10, iphone 5 & Xperia P)
178. nogetch posted on 23 Feb 2013, 13:09 1 0
I agree with Samsung Plastics!!
But HTC RoX on their designs and build quality !!!
57. SleepingOz posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:07 1 6
XPERIA Z is beautiful but software wise?
I see what you did there.. haha
73. OptimusOne posted on 19 Feb 2013, 14:32 3 1
you obviously haven't touched an HTC Nexus One, or an Amaze, or a One S, or a One
117. oister85 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 20:27 0 2
Software and hardware? Seems to me you haven't own a sony android device lately
21. wizzardtech posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:02 13 14
HTC is top notch. Sony is too boxy with plastic body. HTC is the only one whos pushing the limits on designing. Superior build quality and quietly brilliant.
28. Mittal posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:05 4 2
Tell me about it!!
I find my One S having the ultimate design and build quality is simply breathtaking! (im not exaggerating)
42. darkskoliro posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:40 3 1
too bad they fitted a stupid amoled screen on it xD
78. kozza3 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 15:05 1 0
this was the primary reason i did not buy the one s
so glad i didn't because i was able to get a nexus 4 and I'm in love
22. SonyFan posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:02 10 8
Sony has the best Designers..Xperia S, Xperia Arc, Xperia Z...
31. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:17 1 7
but my xperia arc fell apart after one month ...cracks everywhere
43. buccob posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:44 3 2
Funny, cause my wife's Xperia Pro (which is a slider, supposedly delicate) still holds itself pretty good after 2 years of abuse...
And my recently bought Acro S is awesome, maybe not pretty, but it is well design.
59. yazbuh posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:20 0 2
I really love the Arc ever since looks nice, but have a friend whose Arc also has a crack on the proximity sensor area, also seen two arc also with same crack at that area, but still it looks good, but Nokia N9 blown me away when it first came out.....
66. Izoe posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:49 1 0
Had the arc s, but have given it to my cuz. over a year still in one piece no trouble @ all. Wonder what you did to your phone. Currently own the One X, far better design than the xperia s (which is why I didn't get the xperia s including the fact that third party wired headsets wouldn't work with them). Sony should have used the metal on the xperia p on the s, instead they used plastic on the flagship. Don't know what they were thinking. In my opinion the one has beaten the xperia again. Given the xperia is water proof but cant remember any of my phones or tablets ever being destroyed by dust or water. splash proof would have been sufficient. More attention should have been paid on providing a better display and camera. Anyway lets wait till official comparisons are out before finally concluding
141. rgxVOiD posted on 20 Feb 2013, 04:28 0 0
Who's fault is that for not taking care of their phone?
133. b1acktiger posted on 20 Feb 2013, 02:50 2 4
Xperia S ? Really ? Xperia S, P, U and the NXT series is nothing but a block ! there is no design. I really liked the SE Arc and Neo V. Xperia Z is a really good phone. HTC is a stand out manufacturer in Android Arena when it comes to design and materials using for phone manufacturing.
152. Mittal posted on 20 Feb 2013, 12:38 0 0
bro!! u r my bro!! i would have written the exact same words..
24. Sniggly posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:03 7 1
Motorola and the Kevlar design in their Razr Maxx HD is really nice.
However, I'm sure that the X will have a cool design too.
For now HTC is probably doing the best in the design department.
25. haseebzahid posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:04 2 3
some fools think Apple have design hahahahaha for others i can say its their opinion but moment of scilence for Apple votes
almost every OEM came up with more then dosens of design except Apple first Design iphone2,3G-s 2nd and last one 4,4s,5 lol prety much the end
26. cncrim posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:04 5 7
Hate to said it but Apple still make a very good phone.
33. najariner posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:19 1 3
the Htc one doesn't look that good to me, and although the aluminum is sleek, the other leaked polycarbonate one looked nicer. the 8X has a much better design too. The z looks fantastic but is too big to be practical, the s3 is just hideous.
35. BadAssAbe posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:21 2 1
Apple has too much bottom and top bezel, heck it even has more bezel than the SG Note 2 5.5in screen, Thats sad.
38. cloud_atlas1991 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:30 11 5
Basing on their flagship phones:
1. SONY for being classy and durable.
2. NOKIA for breaking the neutrality and masculinity of smartphones.
3. APPLE, HTC AND/OR BLACKBERRY (Because, anyway you put it, they all look the same but, yeah, they look good.
4. LG (Just coz of the Nexus)
5. SAMSUNG. (Which doesn't seem to care about designs)
Basing on ALL their phones:
39. defiantbeast posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:30 6 3
My feeling is that Sony has for the last few years had the best looking and most distinct phones. The Xperia Arc for example was breath taking and so was the ION, TX, T and now Z and ZL. Sony took risk with there design and made beautiful and unique phones, but what kept them out of most users hands in my opinion, was the underwhelming specs. Thats not the case with the Z and ZL. Especiall when u take into account that the phone is water proof and dust proof.
40. pkiran1996 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:33 6 4
Although Samsung's designs aren't the best (borderline ugly) in terms of ergonomics they're pretty good. The S3 feels very might and smooth in the hand. Sony and HTC have brilliant designs but can sometimes feel too angular and boxy.
45. buccob posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:48 2 2
I have to agree here. My Acro S while it is well design and I love its elegant looks, it is only comfortable when holding it in portrait position... When I handle it in landscape, the angular shape is awkward for my index fingers... something my Galaxy S 3 was perfect for...
But on the other hand, the thinness of the S3 was uncomfortable to hold on portrait, I always felt it was gonna slide out of my hand....
The texture of the material used on the back of the Acro S is perfect for grips and leaving NO figerprints... Great design
50. jchuamanl posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:54 2 1
For me the best designs are from Nokia, and I don't think that using "cheap" plastic is a problem. Why bothering using glass or aluminium if people are going to put it in a silicone/plastic/leather cover?
51. nghtwng68 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:55 4 8
HTC is clearly the winner here.
1. HTC - Lightweight polycarbonate unibody, curved screen, aluminum and kickstands add to the cool factor.
2. Nokia - Solid build, clean cut lines and dynamic colors
3. Motorola - Motorola take on KEVLAR was impressive
4. Apple - Sapphire Crystal, bevel edges and aluminum housing
5. Sony - Tempered glass and anti-shatter film on front and back
115. pyradark posted on 19 Feb 2013, 18:18 1 1
the big question mark here is can HTC survive from water & dust?
sorry but its not the sure winner!! hahaha dreaming fans
53. amiroo posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:59 1 3
ok its clear htc before and after that was and will the best..
54. AshishRomea posted on 19 Feb 2013, 12:59 8 3
its has always been sony from X1 to X10 to ARC to S to T to Z !
HTC has been more of same but elegant
Nokia has been great though and for muscular
Samsung never gave s**t about design but was decent
Apple designed once , then never did anything more bt slim down
LG has been mediocre but lately made decent designs via G !
56. Gemmol posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:06 2 4
who ever say galaxy 3 is lying to them selves because there is no way that phone look good compare to the other guys, if anything the galaxy 2 and original note look good but that was in the iphone copying days
58. ebubekir26 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:08 4 1
I love Samsung
but it's true that HTC is the best in terms of design
61. ReaperChief posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:24 0 2
Two brands are missed out here.. Google and Motorola
64. emadshiny posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:29 12 4
here is the place where Sammy fans can't say anything. LOL
65. lkjhg755 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 13:36 2 3
But HTC has generally better design, while Sony xperia z was the first Sony to best HTC design.
69. gwuhua1984 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 14:06 1 1
HTC all the way for me...
I would say HTC has a history of good looking phones.
However, it's not really fair to compare the One to last year's phones. Should wait till the SGS4 get announced, it could be beauty with a beastly heart.
72. yero789 posted on 19 Feb 2013, 14:29 0 1
I like HTC's design,but all the phones are looking almost the same.I mean it's boring,all the phones are looking the same way.Samsung does like that too,Apple does like that too,but Sony doesn't,it has new design concept all the time,and I think that's what helped Sony to grow so fast,because people get bored of the same design.That's just my opinion,anyways I respect all the companies,because each of them has it's own advantage and disadvantage :)