Which specs configuration do you prefer?
0. phoneArena 03 Sep 2012, 01:19 posted on
Why don't we make a reference smartphone configuration featuring the new Snapdragon S4, as well as other top-notch components, and pit it against other popular configurations from the smartphone world...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Muhannad (Posts: 455; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Let me guess, 1 is either LG or Motorola, 2 is Samsung obviously and last is HTC which you can tell by the small battery.
15. pokharkarsaga (Posts: 380; Member since: 23 Feb 2012)
this specs configuration comparison is totally unbiased.How can you compare Cortex A9 with Cortex A15 ?
Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro (Krait) is the carbon copy of ARM Cortex A15.View this link to see the details:-
36. E34V8 (Posts: 77; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
There is no Cortex A15 chip here. The S4 is not based on the ARM Cortex A15 architecture.
OMAP5 and Exynos 5 Dual are based on A15.
62. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4767; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Listen I like Qualcomm but the S4 Krait chipset is not a carbon copy of a A15. It's SIMILAR but it's not a A15.
You look at everything presented & yes, of course everyone will choose configuration number 1. There is no contest.
63. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
just for giggles, can you name 3 ways in which it is similar to an A15? :) Other than Q saying that its equivalent and thus bloggers repeating that over n over again, what actually makes it equivalent? :)
102. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
You know... EVERYONE.. REGARDLESS OF RACE, AGE, OR EVEN YOUR A DOG OR CAT, YOU CAN EDIT WIKIPEDIA. I DON'T TRUST WIKIPEDIA AT ALL. ONLY FOOLS LIKE YOU WOULD!
57. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
LTE vs two 3G phones? This is silly.
76. HäckeMáte (Posts: 168; Member since: 28 Feb 2012)
13MP vs two 8MP? pretty silly too
HOW IS THIS A POLL???
88. IamYourFather6657 (Posts: 321; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
This article is sponsored by LG .
99. CellularNinja (Posts: 306; Member since: 27 Sep 2011)
I think it's a promotion for LG phones that apparently have better specs idk
7. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
I always associate Motorola with the Tegras because of the Photon and Atrix phones. I'd put #1 with a Japanese maker because of the camera but the LTE throws it off so it'd have to be a made for America phone. Maybe an HTC since they use Snapdragons and put that 16MP sensor in the Titan 2 recently.
18. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i've gotten to where i associate ASUS with Nvidia. they come together well.
Samsung is of course all about the Exynos and then there's the Motorola/OMAP and HTC/Snapdragon duos.
39. Commentator (Posts: 3375; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I always associate Moto with TI, Samsung with Exynos, HTC with Qualcomm, and LG with Nvidia.
81. jy26lim (Posts: 1; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
nice guess :)
It seems like a new one from lg
38. Commentator (Posts: 3375; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I understand that this post is sponsored by LG, but I wonder: what's the point? It's obvious which list of specs will be superior and would be the clear-cut favorite, so why did LG spend the money to put together this poll? If anything, it seems like they're just patting themselves on the back rather than making any meaningful advertising push. Yes, we get it, you have good specs, now put it in the form of a regular ad please.
79. jamrockjones (Posts: 345; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
There are plenty of people that are biased against LG. The specs on the left look the most impressive and make sense why it got the most votes, but when they reveal what phone you just voted for people will bash on LG.
80. Commentator (Posts: 3375; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I would hope that everyone who voted here would have read the disclaimer at the top and would understand that they were voting for an LG phone when they picked the best specs. I don't think any LG bashers got tricked by this poll, though I could be wrong.
96. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
LG is trying their best to get some ground excitement for their products. Its great of them to do so.. if their products measure up in all aspects, not just hardware.
I love that they are pushing hard on hardware.. we know im a tech geek. However, after owning LG products, Im extremely hesitant since they tend to drop support rather quickly. Both their G-Slate tablet and G2X phone were plain "with google" sets, and neither saw much support beyond a basic bug fix. There is no reason for that. They are technically no different than a nexus... its stock google. I know I say not to expect updates, but when its a stock set, there really isnt much of an excuse.
90. 8logic (Posts: 133; Member since: 05 Mar 2012)
config 2 = SGSIII international
config 3 = SGSIII US
93. jesusLTEchrist (Posts: 11; Member since: 21 May 2010)
HTC uses Tegra? All mine have a snapdragon.
97. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yes, outside of the US HTC devices with T3 are more common. they use snapdragon in the US for LTE compatibility.
26. bobfreking55 (Posts: 866; Member since: 15 Jul 2011)
they want to show everyone that they have better specs...
but it's really not about the specs LG. it's about experience.
I would even trade my better specd Asus Prime for a Nexus 7 and the SGS3 just somehow equals the Gnex and how the iPhone still is popular even if it's specs suck.
64. joey_sfb (Posts: 4754; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I have bought one LG phone and that's my last LG phone. I guess the ratio would be different if they have shown us the brand.
Spec. of the phone plays a big part but so does after sales support.
LG have very lousy track record on software update. Samsung/Sony/HTC has already given their phone ICS.
Most LG phones are still struck on gingerbread/froyo.
I rather pick another brand other than LG and Motorola.
70. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
you got that right. My "with google" LG tablet never got updated past 3.1.. and even that was extremely late. It has all the specs to run 4.0/4.1 but LG just doesnt want to update it. "With Google" is stock android just like a nexus. There is zero reason they cant throw the update out. At least there is CM10 development going on for it. As soon as its a lil more stable, 4.1 here I come.
95. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
I have a nexus 7. :) Well, my wife does. lol I'm waiting for the nexus 9 or 10. The 7 is just a lil too small for me... darn nice little tablet though, zero complains.. my wife loves the thing.
4. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Apple A5X, 2048x1536, 32 GB / 1 GB, LTE, 11667 mAh.
I would go with the first out of these. But the list of things you need 2 GB of RAM on you mobile device is as follows:
- Tell everyone you have 2 GB of RAM on your mobile device.
8. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
I don't know... I can kill off 1GB of RAM pretty easily on Android. You know, multitasking instead of pretend task switching with a music player and a notification center.
24. TheLibertine (Posts: 484; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
Yeah, i know, as i am an Galaxy Note user also. I dont have any complaints on it or my iPad regarding multitasking and RAM.
So no need to get offensive.
78. Contreramanjaro (Posts: 153; Member since: 04 Dec 2011)
It's all about headroom. If the devices do not have the RAM the developers will cut back but if it's there then they can improve the project or add more detail and greater integration. Apple products benefit as much as any other product from RAM.
If tablets and smartphones are really poised to replace computers then I need them to have the capabilities and at the moment that includes somewhere around 20 active tabs in Chrome, several social apps, a music player, server connections, and then Final Cut or Premier Pro. Individually those things never crack the 2GB mark of RAM usage but together they reach up to 6 and having to pull from VRAM on the HDD takes a lot of time and power and halts productivity.
Please don't confuse my opinion supported by facts for offense. Because you don't have complaints doesn't mean I don't, if iMovie on iPad is ever going to be real it needs a pile of RAM. Simple as that.
53. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
oh wait ...that a tablet :D let see apple using that on a phone and then it can have space up there ...but with the A5 and qHD screen and 1500 mAh .it wont take them anyware ...just hope that iphone 5 wont be an overclocked A5 chip
5. Captain_Doug (Posts: 966; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
Only reason I didn't pick 1 was because of the screen aspect ratio.
10. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
11. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Same as the other 2 but higher resolution
44. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
WTH? 3 thumbs down? YOU PEOPLE SERIOUS? do you even know what's aspect ratio means?
1280 x 768 = 15:9
1280 x 720= 16:9
1280/15 = 85.3333
768/9 = 85.3333
1280/16 = 80
720/9 = 80
please, try understanding math. :(
58. hung2900 (Posts: 910; Member since: 02 Mar 2012)
It's usual on PA. I even got more thumbs down when I said "6.75 inch is nearly 4 times bigger than 3.5 inch" (actually the writer wrote it's 2 times only)
61. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
technically, it should still be 16:9... most of the time. Off the top of my head, I believe the new LG phone that this chart is referencing for option 1 is a button-less design, which means the bottom row of icons is counted in the 1280x768. Someone correct me if im wrong, but I think the bottom row is near 40 pixels on the galaxy nexus.
68. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
no. it's still 15:9. whether the bottom is used as a button. see, the extra "48" pixels would be arranged horizontally. So what does it mean? you'd still get 720p with extra 48 pixels. 48 pixels in the horizontal part of the screen at it won't affect the vertical aspect of the screen.
it's really hard to explain. But 1280x768 is a 15:9 aspect ratio. That will be a fact.
to people who can't still get this, try learning basic geometry. And try learning what "aspect ratio" really means. that's it. Further comments regarding the aspect ratio of this resolution will show ignorance.
72. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
no, I get what your saying. However, my point is that it will only be in that aspect ratio during media watching and a few games. The bottom row of buttons, when visible, isnt considered part of the viewing aspect ratio from my understanding.
Anyways, I think were just splitting hairs. Also no reason to try to browbeat with your last line there.
13. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
it just allots for virtual function keys.
71. Captain_Doug (Posts: 966; Member since: 10 Feb 2012)
On screen nav keys make the vertical resolution lower, not the horizontal resolution larger.
6. i_am_aman (Posts: 13; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
Do you think need of polling here. All will prefer configuration-1 obviously. Seems you people got nothing these days :P
9. neutralguy (Posts: 1152; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
configuration is a sure winner here. ADRENO 320. LTE. 320ppi. 2gig of RAM and 13MP camera sensor. tss. It's an obvious winner.
12. wendygarett (unregistered)
I pick configuration 2 because it has way better screen display and camera compare to configuration 1
45. wendygarett (unregistered)
huh? Why? The answer is obvious tho XD
46. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5691; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
mmmm, no, not so i'm afraid.
we don't know what type of display is being used with the first configuration and the resolution is equal to that of the second.
considering that all we know about the 1st configuration is MP that far from rules out that it's not comparable to the 8MP from the second configuration.
yeah, i'm just completely lost here. xD
54. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
well LG just need to use the right optics with that sensor ...and some proper software support and that would be phone of the year
17. alwysovrclokd (Posts: 3; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
It is obvious that the specs of number one is the new lg optimus G with lte and a 4.7" screen. Its gonna be a great contender. There will a quad a15 in it which is 40% faster than an a9 arcutecture while still consuming the same amount of energy. The screen is an ips with much simularity to the one x.
25. Mittal (Posts: 493; Member since: 14 Dec 2011)
yes and LG better not screw up again by introducing the phone early and shipping it tooo late... like they did with the 4X HD.
Amazing to see how that phone has been ignored!