Which is a worse deal for $399: an iPad 2 or iPad mini 2?
0. phoneArena 22 Oct 2013, 21:38 posted on
Apple made some very bold moves today, and not all of them were bold in a good way. The iPad Air looks like a very impressive piece of engineering and hardware, and it is certainly a worthy successor in the iPad line. However, Apple also boldly decided to cling to the past with the iPad 2 and keep the nearly three year old tablet on the market; and, Apple decided that the price of the iPad mini was too low...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. alltechinside (Posts: 236; Member since: 21 Apr 2013)
Hmmm..... a 3 year old device for $399 or a beefed up iPad mini with retina display...... hard to choose /s
9. Shatter (Posts: 1974; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Well you can buy 3 and a half ipad minis for the price of one sony vaio so its not fair.
$400 windows 8.1 tablet vs ipad mini. Windows 8.1 tablet is still better.
14. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
And you can almost buy two Nexus 7's for the price of an iPad 2/Mini 2.
12. gixxerrider311 (Posts: 25; Member since: 14 Mar 2012)
You obviously do since you clicked on the article.
34. downphoenix (Posts: 2278; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
currently 27% of voters are Apple fanboys that are upset that Apple is charging less for the Mini for the same specs as the Air, meaning less profits for Apple, meaning their overlords at Apple aren't making as much.
2. nctx77 (Posts: 448; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
Are you serious? The ipad mini 2 has a retina display, a7 chip, new design and better camera. That's a good deal for $399 I'm sorry.
5. jdot104 (Posts: 47; Member since: 17 Jun 2011)
I wouldn't call either deal "good," but at least the iPad mini 2 is a new device. The iPad 2 is two and a half years old. There's no way it should be retailing for $400 after that long.
7. DaHarder (Posts: 154; Member since: 10 Oct 2009)
NO modern tablet device with only 16gb on Non-Expandable storage is worth US 399.00... Regardless of Display, SoC or Manufacturer!
32gb should be the absolute minimum for ANY modern/top tier mobile device, and the prices Apple charges for storage upgrades (especially 16gb to 32gb or 32gb to 64gb) is absolute robbery.
10. Shatter (Posts: 1974; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Stuff like this makes me laugh at the icrap and icrap mini.
Do not buy Arm tablets. Intel Windows 8 all the way!.
All 3 of those have 2GB ram, 64gb of storage (like 30 usable but some have sd slots) ,dual core intel CPUs and run a way superior OS for $300-$400! All your not getting is a retina display. Your choice, way better tablet or shiny childs toy/blown up iphone.
21. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Are you serious? Those tablets have the Z2760, which is even worse than the Tegra 3. THey also have exceptionnaly slow eMMC storage.
I say if you're going for a basic tablet, get the Nexus 7. For Office use, the Asus T100 (that one has Baytrail).
24. Shatter (Posts: 1974; Member since: 29 May 2013)
The vivopad has a dedicated power vr GPU and the lenovo has a solid state drive not eMMC.
Out of the 3 the lenovo is the best best/buck unless the 10" Asus has a ssd. It doesn't say it does so I doubt it.
There is no t100 Asus tablet with a baytrail. Those are laptops?
29. woodshop20 (Posts: 459; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
The PowerVR cannot beat the Tegra 3 in terms of graphics performance. And it is not dedicated.
There is indeed a T100 Asus Transformer tablet. It has an IPS display and a Bay Trail CPU. Here is the link to the review:
30. TylerGrunter (Posts: 868; Member since: 16 Feb 2012)
It seems you don't have any idea about chipsets. Let me enlighten you a bit.
"Dedicated" or "discrete" means a non integrated GPU.
Vivotab (not Vivopad) does not have a "dedicated" GPU, just the integrated in Z2760, which is the PowerVR SGX545.
3. HASHTAG (unregistered)
I'll sacrifice larger screen for a smaller screen with updated specs and a retina display. Otherwise, this article is a waste.
8. tiara6918 (Posts: 1336; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
IPad mini2 obviously, ipad2 is so outdated
11. PapaSmurf (Posts: 7578; Member since: 14 May 2012)
Is the iPad Mini 2 worth the $399? No. Is the iPad 2 worth the $399? HELL NO.
15. Shatter (Posts: 1974; Member since: 29 May 2013)
I don't understand how the ipad mini has 25% votes? Who in their right mind would take an ipad 2 over a mini? I would take the mini and then sell it because its worth more.
20. RoboBonobo (Posts: 35; Member since: 13 Sep 2013)
I think some people must have misread the question and thought it was asking which one is the better deal.
35. roldefol (Posts: 2858; Member since: 28 Jan 2011)
They were all possessed by the restless spirit of Steve, who knew anything less than 9.7" is completely useless.
13. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 1665; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
LoL none of them are worth it.... Get a nexus 7, and call it a day
16. Shatter (Posts: 1974; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Nexus 7 is the best for just for its price alone.
17. vaibhavaggarwal (Posts: 44; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
iPad mini 2 is a great deal considering that the iPad Air just has a bigger screen for $100 more.
18. Pancholo (Posts: 373; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
Consumerism and brand names - that's all people care about.
On topic: People are attracted to the newest, shiniest toys (this is deeply entangled in our current culture; the "old" will always be marginalized and criticized), so the iPad Mini 2 definitely wins.
32. P-YWS (Posts: 27; Member since: 12 Aug 2011)
Most consumers are "stupid", care only for the surface value, choose to follow deception rather than true value!
19. E.S.1 (Posts: 289; Member since: 14 Sep 2013)
Why would anyone buy any of them?
It does not make any sense...Way overpriced.
22. paulyyd (Posts: 326; Member since: 08 Jan 2011)
Lol this article.
makes me lol all day. This is definitely bait.
23. andrexx24 (banned) (Posts: 22; Member since: 09 Jul 2013)
If any other tablet can offer me the smoothness, reliability, app ecosystem that the ipad has please let me know MAYBE I'd consider it, otherwise no thank you I'll stick with this ipad mini and ipad air, honestly I tried that nexus tablet from last year and that samsung galaxy tab and man!!! What a let down there was lag everywhere!
26. livyatan (Posts: 668; Member since: 19 Jun 2013)
The most retarded poll ever,.are you f- ing joking me -.-
IPad mini 2 is basically a slightly more compact iPad air..and you're comparing that with a completely outdated POS iPad 2??
The screen is horrid and it lags on IOS 7 worse than the cheapest Android!
31. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 909; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
IPad 2 shouldn't be $399 by now. Mini 2 right price..