Which carrier network runs the Apple iPhone 5 the fastest? Does it beat Wi-Fi?
0. phoneArena 21 Sep 2012, 17:55 posted on
Now that the Apple iPhone 5 has arrived, which of the three major U.S. carriers has the fastest speed for the device? What about Wi-Fi speeds?; a test was conducted on a roof top appropriately in the Big Apple to see where in the states the Apple iPhone 5 runs the fastest...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. e.wvu (unregistered)
Why am I on Sprint? Lol.
15. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
Because Sprint = Truly Unlimited 2G.
21. e.wvu (unregistered)
Got that right. I have to deal with it for one more year.
29. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
Child, just cancel. They will keep sending you letters for their ETF but just ignore them (not that I speak from personal experience). But, just make sure to have service with another carrier first, this way you don't have to pay a deposit. Oh, and before you cancel (if you've got a premium device), make sure to replace your current device on your account with a cheapie' like a Palm Centro this way the premium device doesn't get tied to the account when you cancel (not that I speak from experience). Come on over to Verizon, even T-Mo' will give you better 4G.
Why have chitt'lins' when you have Filet Migñón?
41. bfuller2006 (Posts: 20; Member since: 31 Oct 2011)
Um Connie nice to see your enthusiasm, however everyone dont listen youll run the risk of f**king up your credit for a damn cell phone its calles a chaege off sweety.
3. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2927; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
Lol you are going to get different results every time and based on your location. I seen real videos of the sgs3 Vs iphone 5 and one test the iphone won and the second time the sgs3 won.
4. AppleIsGod (Posts: 49; Member since: 27 Aug 2012)
Wow how come sprint got 1.5 Mbps....My cousin gets around 300 kbps on his EVO 4g LTE...
10. xXMAKESHIFTXx (Posts: 38; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
My EVO 4G LTE has only received 300 kbps as well but now receives 1.5 mbps...thanks to recent tower upgrades!
35. solidsnakeduds013 (Posts: 215; Member since: 20 Oct 2010)
hahahah doodoo service!! Sprint shouldn't even be allowed to carry the IPhone! It makes the IPhone look bad
5. ajac09 (Posts: 1346; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
wow sprint that is just PATHETIC. My AT&T 3g is faster then sprints 4g LOL
6. ajac09 (Posts: 1346; Member since: 30 Sep 2009)
oops sprints is 3g lol well someone post a sprint 4g I am curious
8. lsutigers (Posts: 698; Member since: 08 Mar 2009)
There's no way that's Sprint's 4G LTE. That is definitely 3G and 1.5mbps is good for EVDO.
7. gallitoking (Posts: 4682; Member since: 17 May 2011)
wow this one will make a few regulars have a bad weekend... not surprise on the results at all
11. JunitoNH (Posts: 842; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Lol your S3 got whipped again by another iPhone, without a quadcore. Check the. Bench mark below.
12. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Hey phonearena, you should make an article where we could submit our test speeds on your webstie and you could make a really big comparison article!
Tons of people enter the photo contests and whatnot, so it seems like there'd be enough people.
14. xoutrageousx (Posts: 70; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA no wonder.
16. Ruckus (Posts: 276; Member since: 20 Oct 2011)
The Sprint tests are just on 3G. If you have Verizon in your area with no LTE it would run upto 1.5 maps as well.
17. Connie.Linghus (banned) (Posts: 32; Member since: 14 Aug 2012)
Of course, Verizon = Power of Zeus.
19. Apple_Royally_ (banned) (Posts: 42; Member since: 15 Sep 2012)
Verizon are expensive, you pay for what you get. Not every-one can afford it®
20. MartyK (Posts: 689; Member since: 11 Apr 2012)
I am not understanding this testing, why even place Sprint numbers when you know it's on 3g?.
Why don't you turn off all the phones LTE for a even comparison of the carriers, or ask someone who has all 3 LTE service to do the test for you?.
31. jenna_23 (Posts: 145; Member since: 02 Apr 2010)
If u were to turn of LTE on all 3 iphones like u said at&t would most likely win cuz of its hspa+ i get 10-12 mbps on atts hspa+ and 20-30 on LTE .
45. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
I think it was meant to insult Sprint's sloppy approach to network decisions...personally
22. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
@mandkee. Stupid jerk is ur face. Go kiss ur iP5. Ill enjoy my GS3. I wouldnt buy the iP5 for $5. Gayest phone ever. U guys r blinded sheep.
49. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
i don't know about you, but if i could find an authentic iPhone 5 for $5...i'd be all over it based solely on the principle of it being $5. i could always resell it for 100x what i paid for it.
23. networkdood (Posts: 6250; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Verizon CDMA is not much better than Sprint's 3G. My Razr gets 20-25 sometimes with Verizon....my Vivid gets 15 with HSPA+ from AT&T...really not much different in terms of real world use.
24. R3537L1F3 (Posts: 7; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
This test most likeley wasn't done on sprint's 4G LTE. Those are clearly 3G speeds. Did anyone stop to think "Hey Sprint's LTE is not everywhere yet and the iPhone 5 doesn't use WiMax 4G" No LTE leaves 3G. Some for the coments about those owning an EVO LTE, do you have LTE?
25. pikapowerize (banned) (Posts: 1869; Member since: 03 May 2012)
iPhone isnt made for tech nerds and tech geniuses!! so leave iPhone alone ok?
30. ebunny89 (Posts: 10; Member since: 07 Jun 2012)
Apparently it wasn't made for people who want to know where they're going either... Apple Maps are a joke...
32. kurejikame (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Jun 2012)
I think it should be 2.4GHz and 5GHZ not MHz. In terms of internet service, I don't know the exact numbers, but I would think that average Wi-Fi speeds are between 10Mbps and 20Mbps. The the reason the 5GHz frequency is "better" is because it's not used as much as the 2.4GHz thus less interference.
The other thing is while your speed may increase while using the 5GHz band most people won't see such a huge difference in speed. Really it just allows you to take more advantage of the internet package you're paying for. If you have the low end package, don't expect that you're internet speed will jump from say 2Mbps to 20Mbps. People who live in a big city will probably benefit more from using the 5GHz band frequency.
Oh and let's not forget that your router has to be capable of the 5GHz band. If you have a dual band router, you're good to go otherwise you won't benefit from this technology.
34. blackcaez (Posts: 1; Member since: 22 Sep 2012)
And a Mustang 5.0 (Android) is faster than a Mercedes S500 (Iphone 5) I'll take the Mercedes-Benz, thanks...
37. rob033 (Posts: 3; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
I totally agree!! The iPhone is way too over rated..its a lame phone with limited things it can do compared to a driod. So much for apple putting all those restrictions
38. rob033 (Posts: 3; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
For the one who said something about turning on 4g on all 3 networks an that att will win. please do your homework. Look how far behind they are compared to verizon
47. theo14461 (Posts: 157; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I have the GS III now with Verizon, it's the fastest Android I've ever had, and I had them all. Waiting for my iPhone 5 to arrive Oct. 19. People, don't even waste your time with Sprint.
50. CRICKETownz (Posts: 980; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
i agree that iPhone is a bit overrated. as far as restrictions go, i don't see where people are getting that from. where are the restrictions? if brand difference & the choices they decide to make are considered "restrictions" i have to question the validity. i could understand if it lacked common features like mobile hotspot or pinch-to-zoom but to say a device is restricted b/c it won't let you do dumb s**t like overclock your phone...is being a) ridiculous and b) a bandwagon'er who is repeating what someone else said. i'm trying to figure out what i can't do (of relevance) with an iPhone that i can do with my SIII. i'm coming back with nothing. maybe a less advanced GPS?