Which carrier network runs the Apple iPhone 5 the fastest? Does it beat Wi-Fi?
0. phoneArena posted on 21 Sep 2012, 17:55
Now that the Apple iPhone 5 has arrived, which of the three major U.S. carriers has the fastest speed for the device? What about Wi-Fi speeds?; a test was conducted on a roof top appropriately in the Big Apple to see where in the states the Apple iPhone 5 runs the fastest...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
2. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 21 Sep 2012, 18:11 9
Why am I on Sprint? Lol.
15. Connie.Linghus (banned) posted on 21 Sep 2012, 20:23 8
Because Sprint = Truly Unlimited 2G.
21. e.wvu (unregistered) posted on 21 Sep 2012, 22:06 2
Got that right. I have to deal with it for one more year.
29. Connie.Linghus (banned) posted on 22 Sep 2012, 06:17 5
Child, just cancel. They will keep sending you letters for their ETF but just ignore them (not that I speak from personal experience). But, just make sure to have service with another carrier first, this way you don't have to pay a deposit. Oh, and before you cancel (if you've got a premium device), make sure to replace your current device on your account with a cheapie' like a Palm Centro this way the premium device doesn't get tied to the account when you cancel (not that I speak from experience). Come on over to Verizon, even T-Mo' will give you better 4G.
Why have chitt'lins' when you have Filet Migñón?
41. bfuller2006 posted on 22 Sep 2012, 22:57 0
Um Connie nice to see your enthusiasm, however everyone dont listen youll run the risk of f**king up your credit for a damn cell phone its calles a chaege off sweety.
3. RORYREVOLUTION posted on 21 Sep 2012, 18:16 3
Lol you are going to get different results every time and based on your location. I seen real videos of the sgs3 Vs iphone 5 and one test the iphone won and the second time the sgs3 won.
4. AppleIsGod posted on 21 Sep 2012, 18:17 6
Wow how come sprint got 1.5 Mbps....My cousin gets around 300 kbps on his EVO 4g LTE...
10. xXMAKESHIFTXx posted on 21 Sep 2012, 19:00 0
My EVO 4G LTE has only received 300 kbps as well but now receives 1.5 mbps...thanks to recent tower upgrades!
35. solidsnakeduds013 posted on 22 Sep 2012, 14:59 0
hahahah doodoo service!! Sprint shouldn't even be allowed to carry the IPhone! It makes the IPhone look bad
5. ajac09 posted on 21 Sep 2012, 18:19 4
wow sprint that is just PATHETIC. My AT&T 3g is faster then sprints 4g LOL
6. ajac09 posted on 21 Sep 2012, 18:26 3
oops sprints is 3g lol well someone post a sprint 4g I am curious
8. lsutigers posted on 21 Sep 2012, 18:33 3
There's no way that's Sprint's 4G LTE. That is definitely 3G and 1.5mbps is good for EVDO.
7. gallitoking posted on 21 Sep 2012, 18:26 1
wow this one will make a few regulars have a bad weekend... not surprise on the results at all
11. JunitoNH posted on 21 Sep 2012, 19:02 0
Lol your S3 got whipped again by another iPhone, without a quadcore. Check the. Bench mark below.
12. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 21 Sep 2012, 19:04 2
Hey phonearena, you should make an article where we could submit our test speeds on your webstie and you could make a really big comparison article!
Tons of people enter the photo contests and whatnot, so it seems like there'd be enough people.
14. xoutrageousx posted on 21 Sep 2012, 20:13 1
BAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA no wonder.
16. Ruckus posted on 21 Sep 2012, 20:24 2
The Sprint tests are just on 3G. If you have Verizon in your area with no LTE it would run upto 1.5 maps as well.
17. Connie.Linghus (banned) posted on 21 Sep 2012, 20:25 0
Of course, Verizon = Power of Zeus.
19. Apple_Royally_ (banned) posted on 21 Sep 2012, 20:58 0
Verizon are expensive, you pay for what you get. Not every-one can afford it®
20. MartyK posted on 21 Sep 2012, 21:37 3
I am not understanding this testing, why even place Sprint numbers when you know it's on 3g?.
Why don't you turn off all the phones LTE for a even comparison of the carriers, or ask someone who has all 3 LTE service to do the test for you?.
31. jenna_23 posted on 22 Sep 2012, 10:29 0
If u were to turn of LTE on all 3 iphones like u said at&t would most likely win cuz of its hspa+ i get 10-12 mbps on atts hspa+ and 20-30 on LTE .
45. CRICKETownz posted on 23 Sep 2012, 01:02 0
I think it was meant to insult Sprint's sloppy approach to network decisions...personally
22. androidornothing posted on 21 Sep 2012, 22:19 1
@mandkee. Stupid jerk is ur face. Go kiss ur iP5. Ill enjoy my GS3. I wouldnt buy the iP5 for $5. Gayest phone ever. U guys r blinded sheep.
49. CRICKETownz posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:36 0
i don't know about you, but if i could find an authentic iPhone 5 for $5...i'd be all over it based solely on the principle of it being $5. i could always resell it for 100x what i paid for it.
23. networkdood posted on 21 Sep 2012, 22:48 0
Verizon CDMA is not much better than Sprint's 3G. My Razr gets 20-25 sometimes with Verizon....my Vivid gets 15 with HSPA+ from AT&T...really not much different in terms of real world use.
24. R3537L1F3 posted on 22 Sep 2012, 00:34 0
This test most likeley wasn't done on sprint's 4G LTE. Those are clearly 3G speeds. Did anyone stop to think "Hey Sprint's LTE is not everywhere yet and the iPhone 5 doesn't use WiMax 4G" No LTE leaves 3G. Some for the coments about those owning an EVO LTE, do you have LTE?
25. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 22 Sep 2012, 00:42 0
iPhone isnt made for tech nerds and tech geniuses!! so leave iPhone alone ok?
30. ebunny89 posted on 22 Sep 2012, 08:18 0
Apparently it wasn't made for people who want to know where they're going either... Apple Maps are a joke...
32. kurejikame posted on 22 Sep 2012, 12:21 0
I think it should be 2.4GHz and 5GHZ not MHz. In terms of internet service, I don't know the exact numbers, but I would think that average Wi-Fi speeds are between 10Mbps and 20Mbps. The the reason the 5GHz frequency is "better" is because it's not used as much as the 2.4GHz thus less interference.
The other thing is while your speed may increase while using the 5GHz band most people won't see such a huge difference in speed. Really it just allows you to take more advantage of the internet package you're paying for. If you have the low end package, don't expect that you're internet speed will jump from say 2Mbps to 20Mbps. People who live in a big city will probably benefit more from using the 5GHz band frequency.
Oh and let's not forget that your router has to be capable of the 5GHz band. If you have a dual band router, you're good to go otherwise you won't benefit from this technology.
34. blackcaez posted on 22 Sep 2012, 14:23 2
And a Mustang 5.0 (Android) is faster than a Mercedes S500 (Iphone 5) I'll take the Mercedes-Benz, thanks...
37. rob033 posted on 22 Sep 2012, 15:46 0
I totally agree!! The iPhone is way too over rated..its a lame phone with limited things it can do compared to a driod. So much for apple putting all those restrictions
38. rob033 posted on 22 Sep 2012, 15:51 1
For the one who said something about turning on 4g on all 3 networks an that att will win. please do your homework. Look how far behind they are compared to verizon
47. theo14461 posted on 23 Sep 2012, 17:41 0
I have the GS III now with Verizon, it's the fastest Android I've ever had, and I had them all. Waiting for my iPhone 5 to arrive Oct. 19. People, don't even waste your time with Sprint.
50. CRICKETownz posted on 23 Sep 2012, 18:53 0
i agree that iPhone is a bit overrated. as far as restrictions go, i don't see where people are getting that from. where are the restrictions? if brand difference & the choices they decide to make are considered "restrictions" i have to question the validity. i could understand if it lacked common features like mobile hotspot or pinch-to-zoom but to say a device is restricted b/c it won't let you do dumb s**t like overclock your phone...is being a) ridiculous and b) a bandwagon'er who is repeating what someone else said. i'm trying to figure out what i can't do (of relevance) with an iPhone that i can do with my SIII. i'm coming back with nothing. maybe a less advanced GPS?