When will my phone get the Android 4.4 KitKat update: here is what we know
0. phoneArena 11 Jun 2014, 02:34 posted on
Google announced Android 4.4 KitKat yesterday and it is a fairly big update to the world’s most popular platform, but question remains: when will you be able to get it…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
226. m_smart_guy (Posts: 41; Member since: 17 Sep 2013)
but i have 9500 version which is factory unlock its still runing on 4.2.2 android
11. TheOldOne (Posts: 187; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
No info on Nexus 3... guess they tough is either that device is old or is not needed since it has 1GB of RAM.
Me not happy :(
13. TheOldOne (Posts: 187; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
Is Google releasing Android 4.4 as a system update for Galaxy Nexus?
No, Galaxy Nexus phones won’t be receiving the update for Android 4.4 (KitKat).
Why isn’t Galaxy Nexus receiving the update to Android 4.4?
Galaxy Nexus, which first launched two years ago, falls outside of the 18-month update window when Google and others traditionally update devices.
12. berio123 (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
My galaxy S3 has been laggy and has locked up completely a few times since the Android 4.1.2 upgrade. So I am not so fussed about upgrades anymore.
21. boosook (Posts: 1419; Member since: 19 Nov 2012)
Blame Samsung, not Google. The 4.1.2 on the Nexus worked like a charm, and the same holds for 4.2.2 and 4.3.
64. berio123 (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
Of course not, why would I blame google ? They only provide the build for the Nexuses, not the whole market ...
136. AppleHateBoy (unregistered)
The same doesn't hold for 4.2.2. IIRC 4.2.x were the buggiest Android version ever released since ICS.
212. skinny95black (Posts: 113; Member since: 06 Jan 2013)
What about s2 plus the device came after s3 why don't they upgrade it ?
14. _Bone_ (Posts: 2154; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
So do we get transparent notification and Android bar?
93. rabidhunter (Posts: 90; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
For sure with Nova Prime and Android 4.4. Not sure if it comes with stock launcher.
15. drs.beny (Posts: 3; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
When will it come in Indonesia or Singapore?
17. davenycept (Posts: 200; Member since: 03 Jul 2012)
My T-Mobile S2 started at 2.3 then 2.3.6 then 4.0 then finally 4.1.2...So I would hope my S4 can get 3 different updates too
18. ilia1986 (unregistered)
Your S2 can run 4.4 without problem. And it will if you will treat it with a custom rom.
19. Tux_Alan (Posts: 74; Member since: 30 Jan 2013)
WTF.....when I bought my nexus devices it was for the sole purpuse of having the updates first... And that friggin one play editition gets it out the box and I wait.... Damn
20. mike2959 (Posts: 508; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
Will die with the operating system it was born with.
26. EarnYourLeather (Posts: 87; Member since: 14 Feb 2012)
Maybe, maybe not. LG has been making bold moves this year to win back the market they've lost to Samsung and HTC. They've got nothing to to lose and everyone to please and, coupled with the fact that they've been working with Google on the Nexus 5, I wouldn't be surprised either way.
44. mike2959 (Posts: 508; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
The last 2 flagships the G Pro and the G....
The Pro 4.1.2 still not 1 Android up date.
The G only 1 update.
83. justsayit (Posts: 256; Member since: 09 May 2013)
i think 4.2.2 will coming soon to optimus g and optimus g pro, and maybe optimus 4x hd. 4.2.2 Update will come after lg g2 launch on most country(36 country which lg said)
but android 4.4 ...
maybe have to wait until new lg flagship(lg g2 pro?) which launched with new optimus ui based on 4.4
84. PBXtech (Posts: 1032; Member since: 21 Oct 2013)
If so, it'll die happy. Nothing wrong with the G2 the way it is.
141. SilentJ (Posts: 14; Member since: 12 Sep 2013)
Completely agree. I'm absolutely satisfied with my G2 the way it currently is. In fact, my fear is that an update to KitKat would detract from my current satisfaction.
25. AfterShock (Posts: 3698; Member since: 02 Nov 2012)
I am let down.
Nexus, to get updates as they're released, not it's new nexus first, last year's gets it weeks from now???
Wtf Google, in a few weeks really??
You dropped the ball on this IMO.
Po nexus owner.
28. bugsbunny00 (Posts: 1989; Member since: 07 Jun 2013)
Come on Sony and lg where you guys @?
38. ocilfa (Posts: 334; Member since: 03 Aug 2012)
Trust me, rooting is worth it even if your phone came with 4.4 out of the box.
30. alchemyduelist (Posts: 21; Member since: 26 Jul 2012)
So my Butterfly S will be left out? Seriously HTC? SERIOUSLY?
72. FYLegend (Posts: 18; Member since: 05 Sep 2013)
We'll get it eventually, it's their highest-end device exclusive to Asia without carrier influence, they are just prioritizing the One series but we aren't too far behind. Original Butterfly got Sense 5/Android 4.2 update in July, around the same time the One got updated to 4.2. The phone was released in July and there was an OTA update in September.
32. jamiesculthorp (Posts: 1; Member since: 01 Nov 2013)
Does the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini receive this update? If not I'm stuck with Andriod 4.2.2 for 2 years until I can upgrade to the newest Nexus mobile device.
35. AJmeBOY (Posts: 34; Member since: 16 Dec 2011)
Moto RAZR MAXX: I know it's older. Was planning on Verizon getting the Nexus 5.
Plan B: Get help/guidance rooting it to 4.4 (when available). I've never rooted a device before. Where does one go for easy to follow directions to complete this task without losing everything?
94. rabidhunter (Posts: 90; Member since: 05 Jul 2013)
DROID RAZR MAXX
This device will remain on Android 4.1.2 (Jelly Bean)
Do you have the latest Motorola software? Find out.
Receive emails when software updates are available for your device
From the Motorola update portal. The RAZR Maxx HD will receive the update.
The RAZR Maxx (XT912) will not.
36. sguyx (Posts: 12; Member since: 02 Jul 2012)
Still 4.1.2 in Note 10.1 and the device isnt on any these list (4.2, 4.2 , 4.4) so frustrating - better to stay away from sammyphones in the future...
242. ojdidit84 (Posts: 457; Member since: 16 Jul 2011)
Supposedly the update started rolling out to the LTE version in certain European countries on Monday and the wifi version is supposed to follow up soon. Mine is rooted so I'm trying a build that someone built for the GT-N8013 off of the update that rolled out for the GT-N8000 that has a script to remove the phone(LTE) parts from the ROM. Flashing it as I type.
And then I look and realize that this is just an updated article from last year and the comments are from November... =/
39. mike2959 (Posts: 508; Member since: 08 Oct 2011)
What I don't understand is the statement that Google has made regarding Kit Kat and the ability of it to run on low ram, older devices... But not updating the Galaxy Nexus.
Oh as far as LG goes. I also have the G Pro, 4.1.2.. That's now 5 updates behind!
Well, not mine Rooted and 4.3.1 Cyanmod baby!
118. Tutsumi (Posts: 2; Member since: 09 Dec 2013)
The nexus is because the phone's hardware is no longer being made - because the maker went out of business ... or something like that. Do some research, you'll find your full answer there.
41. freebee269 (Posts: 535; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
i have an lg g2 and this was my worry with going with lg. when i had the lg optimus g, it took for ever to get an update and the update wasnt even the latest android update that was out. the lg optimus g pro is still on android 4.1.2. and now i fear my lg g2 will be stuck with android 4.2.2 for a while. when lg does decide to give it android 4.3, the other big oem's will already have their flagship devices on android 4.4. lg burns its customers again.
42. skymitch89 (Posts: 1291; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
It would be nice if Samsung would update their older devices that only have dual core & 1GB of RAM (Galaxy S2) to this. That would mean that my Epic Touch would be able to live an extra 6-8months.
43. rusticguy (Posts: 2828; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
As expecetd ... no inputs from SONY ... a company with "Pathetic" customer care.
45. lollicup04 (Posts: 1; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
It would be great if Samsung updated the S2 and Galaxy Note 1 to 4.4, the two phones that really helped them gain popularity
48. johanphilis (Posts: 1; Member since: 03 Nov 2013)
Hi ehmm i have a samsung galaxy express and i wonder will i get kitkat if not will i get something new and how do i uppdate it?
65. daadaaam (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 Nov 2013)
I have samsung galaxy SII and I have a question.
When will my phone get it? I'm waiting for it :(((
66. racer83l (Posts: 4; Member since: 02 Nov 2013)
I almost don't understand the need for getting the updates on a phone with a skin... I had the Note 3 for 14 days. And I couldn't see any 4.3 shining through the UI.
When the Note 3 gets 4.4 I would love to revisit it and see the changes.
P.S.- I will be staring out my window for UPS today. My Nexus 5 is coming!!!!
67. aelieee28 (Posts: 2; Member since: 05 Nov 2013)
When i can get Android kitkat on my note 2 :(
168. menaV1 (Posts: 21; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
at least you have android 4.3, the 2012 droid razrs(M,HD, and MAXX HD) are still on 4.1.2. Motorola took a giant dump on the razrs. I'm sick of it. im getting an iPhone. that what i wont have to worry about updates for the next 4 years.
170. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4273; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
The 2012 Razrs have all been confirmed to be updated to 4.4.
172. menaV1 (Posts: 21; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
since november...its almost January...step it up motorola!
173. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4273; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
It's been less than 3 months, and they've released KitKat for 5 devices since then. The 2012 models have less priority since they're older, that's only natural. I would expect them to get KitKat in March, probably later, but definitely before June.
You can't tell Motorola to step it up when, apart from Nexus and Google Play Edition devices, only 2 other phones have gotten KitKat. That means Motorola makes up 71% of all OEM branded devices on KitKat. Motorola is doing better than anybody else, considering most of those devices are carrier branded.
178. menaV1 (Posts: 21; Member since: 14 Oct 2013)
you have a point there. its been so long since i've seen a big update...
78. medicci37 (Posts: 1271; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Why hasn't Nexus 7 (2013)been updated yet? Damn
234. VZWuser76 (Posts: 3776; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
This article is for phones not tablets. I have the Nexus 7 2013 WiFi and it updated to 4.4.3 last week, which is the latest version. It updated to 4.4 around 2-3 weeks after it was announced IIRC.
82. antmiu2 (Posts: 302; Member since: 19 Jun 2011)
Kinda hard to believe that my Atrix HD will jump from 4.1 to 4.4 after we got screwed out of ICS with the Atrix 4G.. from the looks of the lineup it seems that we will be getting it last if they dont screw us again
85. Android4Ever (Posts: 86; Member since: 12 Aug 2013)
From here on out I'm only buying my Samsung devices from the Google Play Store...Its a damn shame that my S4 or Note 3 isn't on this list. Oh well, you live and you learn...
86. Quezdagreat (Posts: 428; Member since: 05 Apr 2012)
Oh so now android lover care about official updates. What happen to unofficial updates
174. astonmartin214 (Posts: 9; Member since: 29 Jan 2014)
Love UNOFFICIAL my S2 is running 4.4.2 Cynafox
87. good2great (Posts: 1042; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
lol why is there always no definite date? poor android. this would have me frustrated.
89. scriptwriter (Posts: 396; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
Android is trying to make the world a better place by writing software thats compatible with phones from years ago and yet the carriers and OEMs will not update these devices because it will slow down sales of current models. You lot watch and see.
90. ludegmo (Posts: 16; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
So my nexus 7 ( still on 4.3) will be updated after veeizons motorolas? This is Bs google