WhatsApp now has 400 million users
0. phoneArena 19 Dec 2013, 12:15 posted on
Cross-platform messaging service WhatsApp has reached a milestone and now has 400 million subscribers. If you took each WhtasApp subscriber and had them stand on top of each other, it would measure all the way from earth to...well, let's just say it would be a very long chain of humanity. The last 100 million was added in just the last 4 months. And this is a total of active members...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
is anyone else with whatsapp on windows phone getting an update for it every other week or so ? i just updated it for the billionth time
9. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
it i just got another update 2 times in a day where as the one for my android hasn't gotten any not even for the ones weeks back ?
10. ihavenoname (Posts: 1693; Member since: 18 Aug 2013)
Android version has nothing wrong, and it gets updates frequently, too.
17. apple4never (Posts: 1064; Member since: 08 May 2013)
ok, i thought something was wrong with my phone and it kept updating
13. brar.arsh (Posts: 200; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
works if you are on 4.4.2, then it works fine.. :)
4. GeekMovement (Posts: 2140; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
I don't use whatsapp and haven't used it before so I'm curious to know from users what the benefits of this app is over other free messaging/voicetalking apps (BBM, KakaoTalk, etc). Does it have free voice calling over internet (voice notes sounded more like walkietalkie kind of feature)? Right now I just use the standard sms/voice services w/ minutes, but I'm interested in looking into getting one of these messaging apps.
It's incredible how they were able to reach so much success without having to advertise a cent!
6. kareivis (Posts: 45; Member since: 23 Jan 2012)
WhatsApp is on every platform out there, and i mean EVERY. Starting from iOS, Android, WP, every possible symbian device (S60v3-Belle), BB, Series40.
Thats their strongest side.
12. GeekMovement (Posts: 2140; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
That's really nice! Thanks for the info.
7. jjjsong (Posts: 74; Member since: 27 Dec 2011)
I already quit using whatsapp just because it's not free, and there are so many equivalent apps out there. Line is an example.
8. N-fanboy (Posts: 543; Member since: 12 Jan 2013)
Down here (In Ethiopia) a lot of smartphone owners use viber, while whatsapp is almost non existant.
14. kennyblack_sd (Posts: 26; Member since: 15 Nov 2013)
U can't compare bbm with whatsapp, bbm can make voice call/video call all for free over any network (it doesn't even use up my MB, it's totally free), that if u have a bb10 and if u don't have a BlackBerry 10 you can still chat for free, bbm is totally free even if you are an iphone or android user. I don't use whatsapp because I can do much more on my bbm (make video calls, voice calls and send msgs all without using my data)
18. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 885; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
1) BBM does use your data. There would be no way for it to work without and they don't pay carriers for the data the app uses. That's not speculation, that's fact.
2) This is a matter of opinion but I prefer What's app as a texting and messaging app. I have used many like it but few are as good even when I barely have service. Also you don't have to run around trying to get everyone's pin. Just use their phone number and if it's international just add the country code in front. Simple, convenient and does as advertised.
15. RohanM (Posts: 140; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
Lol, what's app never charged me after 1 year.. of free service, now this is the 3rd year I am using it, just re-install the app when the first year finishes & it will give u another free year..
I don't know who pays for it ??
19. XaErO (Posts: 302; Member since: 25 Sep 2012)
This is humungous !! .. So many users but it is still with lot of bugs and lacks basic functionality like GIF support. Although the User Interface is the simplest among all competition.