What's the ideal smartphone screen size for you?
0. phoneArena 18 Aug 2014, 09:37 posted on
Skip back to the dark ages of 2007, when the Apple iPhone launched and kickstarted a revolution in mobile, its 3.5-inch display seemed gigantic by all imaginable standards. Its dominance was not challenged by anything at first, but then Android stormed in with plenty of devices…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. mrochester (Posts: 34; Member since: 17 Aug 2014)
Around 4". My 4.5" Moto G is a bit cumbersome to use, whereas my iPhone 5S is very comfortable to use one handed. My hand aches from trying to use the the Moto G one handed due to all the over-stetching of my fingers.
51. chengsae (Posts: 47; Member since: 10 Dec 2013)
Man people and their "one hand use" you end up using both your hands in the end. no one can multitask... GEEEEZZ.
54. Finalflash (Posts: 1799; Member since: 23 Jul 2013)
It's okay, just wait until the iPhone 6 when one handed use will conveniently become inconvenient. Ironically, when this test was done a while ago (when the iPhone 5 and 5s were the only choices) the 4 inch option did a whole lot better.
85. sgodsell (Posts: 1287; Member since: 16 Mar 2013)
Wow, just looking at the votes above. I can see why Apple is losing market share. The world has spoken and Apple does not have the perfect 4" screen then.
Timeframe 4498 votes 2.91% for a 4" display. 29.19 for a 5" display.
124. techperson211 (Posts: 667; Member since: 27 Feb 2014)
4.7 is is good enough with minimal bezel. Z3 compact make it happen!!!
120. RandomUsername (Posts: 484; Member since: 29 Oct 2013)
No one can multitask with a big screen...
56. thartist (Posts: 16; Member since: 14 Jul 2014)
You gotta hold it a bit more on your fingers than your palm. An advice, handle a phone bigger than 4.5 for an hour or so, and then going back to 4.5 will feel terribly easy!
90. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1006; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
No problem at all using my 5" phone for more than 1 hour at a time. Going back to 4.5 certainly wont feel terrible easy.
68. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4179; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I can use the Note 3 with one hand just fine. It has a 5.7 inch display!
82. Vexify (banned) (Posts: 570; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
By any chance, are you from Narnia?
My hands are HUGE and I can't use my bros Note 3 for more than 2 minutes without my hand hurting.
In short: Not comfortable ='/
87. uzimafioso (Posts: 76; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
That's cause it's a flat slab. If it was curved it would've been easier to handle but well Samsung doesn't really care about ergonomics. Their design department is probably drunk.
81. Vexify (banned) (Posts: 570; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Man, it is funny how these animals just attack you because you mention an iPhone LOL….People on this site are pathetic. Seems to me that they read right over the words "My 4.5" Moto G" lolllll.
111. Shatter (Posts: 2030; Member since: 29 May 2013)
Ironically your hating on people hating on iPhones.
119. iushnt (Posts: 666; Member since: 06 Feb 2013)
U seem to be highly bothered when iPhone hatred comes..
123. Vexify (banned) (Posts: 570; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Because it floods articles no matter which article it is. We can be speaking about WP and someone will come along ripping on why Apple needs to change its logo or something completely irrelevant lol. I just wanna read my Android and iPhone news without any flooding of Apple jealousy/hatred lol.
2. Duketytz (Posts: 495; Member since: 28 Nov 2013)
For me 5-5.5 inch will be the ideal size unless a 5.7 inch phone is manageable as the Note 3. But 5.5 inch is the right size to not look too ridiculous and yet I'm able to enjoy my media.
4. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2042; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
That's what she said. Sorry I couldn't resist! :D
28. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
oh cmon , teen jokes. how old are you ? 12 ?
72. timepilot84 (Posts: 85; Member since: 16 Aug 2012)
Wow, you're so mature and sophisticated.
73. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
at least I dont make ' thats what she said' jokes. thats enough for me
67. UglyFrank (Posts: 440; Member since: 23 Jan 2014)
Most people on here are immature so he blends in.
3. Slammer (Posts: 1061; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
Let's see how real hypocrisy shines here.
I have friends that own Apple and have always said they were content with the smaller screens claiming they didn't need or want a larger screen......Until...Apple released the larger one. Now, it's happening again. However, many of these friends were tired of the game and moved on to either WP or Android.
21. mrochester (Posts: 34; Member since: 17 Aug 2014)
TBH, I'd prefer Apple keep the iPhone at around the size it is now (increase the screen size by all means, just don't massively increase the device size). But if I had to choose between a 4.7" Android device or a 4.7" iOS device, it'd be the iOS device I was going for, despite the fact it would probably be physically larger than I want it.
83. Vexify (banned) (Posts: 570; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Why do you always sign your real name? Just a curious question, because I'm pretty sure no one on this site cares for it. You could have just taken the easier route and made a JohnB username >.> Always pondered this.
94. Slammer (Posts: 1061; Member since: 03 Jun 2010)
It's a formality in literature that signing your name is a testament of strong belief. It's a more personal approach for debating. It also shows respect to those that read these beliefs whether right or wrong.. I don't hide behind fake names. Email addressing is not nearly as genuine.
I don't sign it to annoy or influence people. I never presume it will make people care nor do I care if it doesn't. I do it strictly out of the above reasoning.
96. Vexify (banned) (Posts: 570; Member since: 16 Jun 2014)
Very interesting. You learn something every day!
6. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2926; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I want a 20 inch display! Real phones for real MEN!
17. register (unregistered)
Thats real phones for giants.
65. ArtSim98 (Posts: 2926; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Wtf broski? I still don't see any jokes running around. And my eyes are full open.
107. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1006; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
I can't, she's dead for 5 years now
110. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1006; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
No worries, you didn't know. And I was a d#ck for using the same remark you did :)
113. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
I prayed for your mum really sorry
114. RebelwithoutaClue (Posts: 1006; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Thanks :) and apologies accepted.
7. techspace (Posts: 688; Member since: 03 Sep 2012)
i have a nexus 5 and i love the screen size, i don't mind a 5.2 inch phone with small bezels but anything bigger than that would be too big to use(comfortably) with one hand
16. NexusPhan (Posts: 497; Member since: 11 Jul 2013)
I feel the exact same way. The 5.2" LG G2 is perfect. (similar envelope dimensions as the Nexus 5 with slimmer bezels). I don't think I could go any bigger. It's actually not much bigger (at all) than the GNex which I also said was the perfect size 3 years ago. Yay bigger screens in the same sized body!!
76. nohatenofanboy (Posts: 486; Member since: 15 Jul 2014)
yes. strangely N5 is super for one hand usage
8. NokiaFTW (Posts: 2042; Member since: 24 Oct 2012)
Anything between 4.5 to 5 inches should be ideal for most.
19. register (unregistered)
47. VZWuser76 (Posts: 1578; Member since: 04 Mar 2010)
I'll agree with you on that. With the bezels kept to a minimum, a device with that screen range can still be okay for one handed use for most.
100. gustavoace (Posts: 99; Member since: 13 Nov 2012)
And you can see a normal distribution around this size... maybe not the best, but the preferable size
9. HTCOE (Posts: 483; Member since: 20 Nov 2011)
4.5 - 4.7 as long as it fits similar to the M8 in hand which is comfortable
10. ithehappy (Posts: 12; Member since: 24 Apr 2014)
Love to see people still have the sense. Personally I would love to see a 5 inches display in Moto X's size.
11. crazymonkey05 (Posts: 155; Member since: 20 Nov 2012)
I find that around the 5.7 mark to be the sweet spot, the 5.8" display on my s3 is hard to use with one hand and trying to reach the hamburger menu is a b*tch!
13. Leo_MC (Posts: 550; Member since: 02 Dec 2011)
19"... if it can fit inside a 130 mm length device.
14. Amir1 (Posts: 267; Member since: 20 Aug 2013)
phonearenas readers are a bunch of kids or midgets. jk but as 6"5 i can easily operate 5.5" or larger.