What's the hype behind phablets? Won't a smartphone or tablet do?
0. phoneArena 01 May 2013, 03:29 posted on
Phablets are a cross between smartphones and tablets that usually check in somewhere between five inches and 6.9 inches. A lot of people think that these mobile devices are little more than fads that will quickly disappear. Others love their phablets. What features are driving the hype between these devices...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. dangchitrung (Posts: 88; Member since: 04 Apr 2012)
are you writing this on behalf of Apple?
5. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
What do you mean? This is a good article written by Shaun Chatman!
10. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
I think apple has dropped the plan of a phablet thats y they want to start criticizing what they can't make by resting their weapon onto the shoulders of reviewers to shoot..
50. cenasucks4eva (unregistered)
apple is probably too cheap to make bigger phones
21. EXkurogane (Posts: 863; Member since: 07 Mar 2013)
This is a good article. Phablets are stupid to me because it is impossible to iperate the device single-handedly. If the device is compact enough i can tolerate up to 5 inch in screen size.
39. JDogg5281 (Posts: 66; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
For some people it might be hard to operate one handed others maybe not. Depends on your hand size as well.
27. Note2waitingonNote3 (banned) (Posts: 87; Member since: 19 Mar 2013)
The DELL STREAK started this category but Samsung with the Galaxy Note and now the Galaxy Note 2 perfected this category. The current Galaxy Note 2 is the GOLD STANDARD of technology today. The device every manufacturer is trying to catch up to and copy. It's the BEST all purpose productivity/multitasking/entertainment device ever made since the inception of android. It will be the Galaxy Note 3 for me come September/October nothing will be better for the remainder of 2013 at least till June/July 2014.
33. joey_sfb (Posts: 5841; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I also waiting for Note 3, Galaxy S4 seem small for my taste. After Note 2, there no need to carry a tablet and a phone and to have two 4G plans.
Save quite a bit on subscription.
2. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
5 inch is already enough for me! 6 inch can't even fit in my pocket!
7. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
yupppp my butterfly is probably slightly too big by my taste, just every so slightly though..
9. tiara6918 (Posts: 2045; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Bu the butterfly is more comfortable in the pockets compared to the note2,you will always have to take it out of your pockets whenever you sit
12. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
Nope, i can still sit w/o taking it out, im a small person
But it also depends on d size of ur pocket :)
19. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
i never said it wasnt :) felt the note 2 before, totally not my thing.
17. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
The Butterfly is comfortable to hold and fits into the pocket nicely!
Do you have small hands? Just asking.
31. darkskoliro (Posts: 1076; Member since: 07 May 2012)
Medium id say, and yes it does fit nicely in pocket and everything! Its just the cases add too much for one handed use...if it is naked then its perfect ;)
35. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Oh I see........I think you should buy a slimmer case! There are many slim cases for you to choose! :)
37. tiara6918 (Posts: 2045; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Trywww.metal-slim.com while I do prefer the phone naked,but these cases atleast still show some skin of the butterfly
38. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Wait, I'm using the metal-slim case too, for my Xperia Z!
34. joey_sfb (Posts: 5841; Member since: 29 Mar 2012)
I always carry a pouch or a bag plus a Bluetooth headset.
I guess its individual lifestyle choices.
But if you don't want to get yourself struck with a large screen phone should stay away cause there no going back to 4" and below for me.
36. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
Me too, I'm not going back to 4" and below. I will keep on using 5"!
3. Reverence (Posts: 224; Member since: 16 Jul 2012)
Phablets are win and they will never fade away...the note series is an example and everyone except APPLE is moving towards phablets
4. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
I still draw the line at 4 5 inches lol
16. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
I think 5.3" is the line for me if there is very little bezel and the aspect ratio is right. Also, did you get your 4.1 update yet for your Photon Q? It rolled out a few days ago.
6. hateftotti (Posts: 200; Member since: 03 May 2011)
As a Galaxy Note 2 onwer,it is really great to have a phablet or whatever you call.
Great performance+protability+huge screen
Wait for Note 3 as well :)
8. tiara6918 (Posts: 2045; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
A phablet is when you want a phone and tablet at the same time,the size is just right for many users. Having used my mom's note 2 and my dad's butterfly, watching videos,surfing the net,playing apps has never been made easier and better. Phablets are far more convenient to take out of your house and use compared to a laptop and tablet.
11. kclgphilsbsa (Posts: 765; Member since: 21 Jan 2013)
I have a very small hands actually coz im a filipino, yet i can manage to hold a note2 always and seems normal to me now.. as my main handset, i will never go back to smaller display w/ lesser productivty and lesser android experience :)
13. Jubin (unregistered)
Same here. Being a Note2 user, I don't think i'll ever get a device which is below 5 inch in the future. And flagship device screen sizes are already on the rise. Flagships used to be around 4.3 then 4.5 then 4.8 and now 5 inch is the new norm. Its actually the high demand of Phablets (or phones with big displays) which is causing this increase in screen size. Note2 rocks!!!
14. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
I'm a big guy and Phablets phone size fit in my hands so it is not a problem. I think Samsung is considering all possible Markets from big to small. Phablets are also good at playing games like GTA.
23. xperiaDROID (banned) (Posts: 5629; Member since: 08 Mar 2013)
You're a big guy eh? Ok, so you love big screens?
Let me introduce you the ASUS Fonepad, it is a 7 inch Tablet + Phone, you can make calls on the Fonepad! Awesome, isn't it? :)
42. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1439; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
hahaha that's too big for my hand, Note 2 is max you can say