What's new in the Apple iPhone 5S? Here's the latest
The China Times has just issued a report with the latest speculation on what to expect with the Apple iPhone 5S. The publication confirms the oft-repeated rumor that the next iPhone will offer a fingerprint scanner. The idea behind this technology would be as a way for the phone to deliver a secure way to enable transactions where identity confirmation is a must. Another feature on the phone will be support for NFC. A Taiwan company called Chipboard will provide the touch display drivers and chips that both the fingerprint scanner and NFC will need. The fingerprint scanner will be made by AuthenTec, a company purchased by Apple last year for $356 million. Word is that the company has turned away customers recently, possibly to focus on the Apple iPhone.
While both the fingerprint scanner and NFC support would seem to indicate Apple's desire to play a big role in mobile payments, until something is said by the Cupertino based tech titan, the company is still relying on its Passbook application as a way to offer its customers a digital wallet and a place to store loyalty and gift cards. With NFC, the Apple iPhone could support a true mobile payment technology with tap-to-pay capabilities.
The Apple iPhone 5S is expected to launch in August with a faster A7 processor and a better camera. Production of the phone is said to have already started at Foxconn.
source: ChinaTimes (translated), MacRumors via BGR
1. menny07 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 18:46 19 6
As always, incremental updates are the staple.
Apple please pay attention to UI.
moving along now.
3. techguy22 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 18:56 17 6
i dont think you were expecting a 720p display even a 1080P( keep on dreaming apple users).
AS for UI overhaul it will happen maybe around iphone 7-8
7. thachlel posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:03 5 2
Don't swimming as current is flowing?
36. windy posted on 12 Mar 2013, 01:06 0 0
Android is like Amiga, WP8 is like Windows 3.11, IOS is slippery like butter. Who ever tells opposite do because they love what they have.
8. ghostnexus posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:04 6 1
Its getting old, If cars looked the same as they did with the model T I'd be pissed.
25. bowarrow0606 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 20:58 0 1
well what about Porsche?
42. ReddD posted on 12 Mar 2013, 04:46 3 0
Even Porsche innovates more than Apple and I am not a Porsche fan.
12. Berzerk000 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:20 11 0
It isn't broken, but it is stale, and you replace things that are stale. You wouldn't eat stale bread now, would you?
15. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:24 7 2
If I was DESPERATE! I would lool....mxy is a blind fool out here man :(
24. gallitoking posted on 11 Mar 2013, 20:51 0 6
cars do incremental upgrades.. the Altima for example is being almost 10 years with incremental upgrades and still one of the best selling cars outthere.. so swhy not Apple...
31. ray386407 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 21:25 5 0
Dude the Altona has been completely redesigned like 5 times
45. kellkeezy posted on 12 Mar 2013, 08:29 0 0
yeah the outside was redesigned with small increments, just like the iphone
37. Droid_X_Doug posted on 12 Mar 2013, 02:11 1 0
Mxy does every day. That is why he is not able to acknowledge truth - he is suffering from mild poisoning from the stale, moldy UI. Or, is it the stale moldy bread? Dunno.
38. rusticguy posted on 12 Mar 2013, 02:36 1 0
And yet you are bored of leaked S4 design right? What a hypocrite :)
39. rusticguy posted on 12 Mar 2013, 02:37 2 0
Consistent at losing market share and shares tanking ...
9. MrJerry posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:04 4 5
We will see soon stolen iphones with thumbs lol
13. MrJerry posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:21 1 8
The new way to make a huge money;
S1. Buy an Iphone 5s or math or +, whatever
S2. Being stolen your iphone
S3. Cut your thumb and put it in the freezer
S4. Sue Apple
S5. Get an award of 100 Mils jackpot
S6. Stich your thumb back
16. PhoneArenaUser posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:33 4 1
Since you are providing such "non silly" enrichment plan, would you going to try that on your own?
18. DawsonLee posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:51 2 0
I'll be honest, your thumb won't survive that long in the freezer~
14. PhoneArenaUser posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:23 6 4
Nothing new, everything already was used by other manufacturers...
17. InspectorGadget80 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:50 6 3
All u need to know bout the IPH5S its the same old P.O.S. design shape structure and boring OS
19. davenycept posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:51 1 2
Im an Andriod guy since the G1 but apple knows it still has a strong base even though they are starting to lose some of them to Andriod. Apple knows it can play it safe and give a feature Andriod already has a new fancy name and some people will go for it
20. nikenturd (unregistered) posted on 11 Mar 2013, 19:56 4 1
Dual Core + 1 gig RAM again? of course lol
23. appleDOESNT.com posted on 11 Mar 2013, 20:17 7 1
it has a S on it, which stands for S ame price, S ame tech, S ame ol S hit
Another S hit it will be, S heep loves to see the limited vision through Apple's eye
34. -box- posted on 11 Mar 2013, 23:23 0 3
In fairness though, the S models tend to be more reliable and less crummy than their non-S counterparts.
Still wouldn't take any.
35. appleDOESNT.com posted on 12 Mar 2013, 00:53 3 0
Totally, when Apple first releases a NON S it stands for S ux... then after a year, the S stands for S tale but S table. BUT absolutely not S uperior, i a S ure you
27. speckledapple posted on 11 Mar 2013, 21:08 0 0
Something tells me it will only be a few nudges forward which this time will surely hurt the company even if it sells well.
29. lyndon420 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 21:17 4 0
Nothing to see here people...just Mxy spewing his opinion again.
30. darkkjedii posted on 11 Mar 2013, 21:18 1 4
Just hurry up and release it already apple. I need my money taken!!!
33. lyndon420 posted on 11 Mar 2013, 22:38 2 0
No wonder you love Wendyg...you also say the same things. Lol.
41. kach22 posted on 12 Mar 2013, 04:29 0 1
NFC in IP5S !!! OMG. It's a sure game changer. Dying to see it.