What would make a Nokia Lumia better than the Samsung Ativ S?
0. phoneArena posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:34
"Every great show needs a warm-up act." – that is what Nokia's Doug Dawson confidently stated on Twitter soon after Samsung announced its Windows Phone 8 powered Ativ S smartphone. Bold words indeed, for they imply that the upcoming WP8 Nokia Lumia smartphones will somehow be better than what Samsung proudly unveiled on Wednesday. But is that really possible?...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
14. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:58 14 2
I think SS will have advantage as they can make Activ S very cost competitive to Nokia offerings by using GS3 parts while Nokia is in very difficult financial situation.
SS surely considers Nokia a threat to its position so we will see a fierce battle for WP8 supremacy.
67. apocalypsebc posted on 31 Aug 2012, 07:36 0 0
Nokia has Microsoft backing them up in their financial department when it comes to Windows Phone and it is Nokia who see Samsung as a potential threat because Nokia still dominates the global market share.
55. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 30 Aug 2012, 21:36 3 4
indeed... samsung wants to dethrown nokia in WP too... its been years that samsung want to dethrown nokia as a top manufacturer now they suceed coz they play the android game so good...but i think if nokia join the android party, samsung is still the mere second...
if you want Windows Phone, then go for nokia Lumia...
nokia exclusive offerings---check
name what you want, lumia has it!!!
but i wonder if nokia really give the nokia maps offering to WP for free...
i want to see it in action is ativ S (i still dont like the Ativ name.. should have been Odyssey... very catchy like Galaxy)..
so if you want to experience this feature, better buy a Lumia...
if android, go for samsung...but since sammy is in trouble now go for sony or motorola...
dont go chinese products okay?
61. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 30 Aug 2012, 23:57 0 1
yeah..but im talking about on WP segment.. since HTC still didnt announce WP yet...
but for me, i like HTC device..more solid and compact than samsung's...but HTC's name kinda sucks... same goes to ZTE...... :)
2. jove39 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:39 2 19
1600x900 resolution display
pure view camera
did I missed something???
5. redmd posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:40 3 4
polycarbonate unibody with variety of color options.
18. Osman posted on 30 Aug 2012, 09:31 8 1
u failed,its not a tablet, yet there is no tablet with such specs!!
24. sats.mine2k4 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:03 8 0
and a chick with every phone sold... stop dreaming fanboy...
45. gawdfather posted on 30 Aug 2012, 13:36 6 0
wp8 can support upto 64 cores mittal...get your facts straight
63. Mittal posted on 31 Aug 2012, 03:11 1 0
hmmm... i see
ACCEPT MY APOLOGIES OH MIGHTY GOD!!!
FOR I HAVE SINNED!!!
65. gawdfather posted on 31 Aug 2012, 04:38 2 0
YOUR APOLOGIES ARE ACCEPTED MY SON.
66. Mittal posted on 31 Aug 2012, 05:22 0 0
Ha! good 1 :-D
3. redmd posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:39 4 0
put emphasis in competitive pricing then we'll have a winner.
4. lsguntu posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:40 9 0
1) Same processor as samsung
2) Not very thick
3) Availabilty in all countries
19. Nick_T posted on 30 Aug 2012, 09:38 8 0
For now, all WP8 smartphones will have the same Snapdragon S4 processor, your #1 wish will be granted.
40. No_Nonsense posted on 30 Aug 2012, 11:58 0 0
Sorry but you are off the mark, Nokia can/may use custom chipsets as a part of their deal.
6. Mitchel posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:43 4 17
Woohh, for the very first time, i can bash other manufacturer's build quality!!! Lets start with Nokia.. Nokia is made of plastic, it is cheap & will retain the old boring design, booo!!Eiiwwww.. Ativ S is more premium with it's sexy brushed aluminum body!!! :)
43. -box- posted on 30 Aug 2012, 12:46 3 0
Nokia uses polycarbonate. They moved away from anondized aluminum after the N8 and E7 (2010).
Do a drop test between the two. Guess which will win.
Do a surface scratch test on both the screen and the body. Guess which will win.
Put either through a year of wear and tear. Guess which on will win.
Do a reception and call quality test. Guess which one will win.
If you answered Nokia to all 4, you're likely correct!
60. IamYourFather6657 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 23:51 0 0
Get lost you Samsung Fanboy troll
68. jackhammeR posted on 31 Aug 2012, 15:47 0 0
dude, it's not a plain plastic like your avila
second...alu looks more refinied but is not as durable
third...just shut up troll
7. ajac09 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:44 4 9
easier answer.. it would be better if samsng made it.
75. IamYourFather6657 posted on 01 Sep 2012, 06:52 0 0
I hate Samsung Fanboy trolls like you
9. Nikolas.Oliver (limited) 4 days ago posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:46 1 0
the design !! the lumia needs to has a revolutionary design...
10. bobfreking55 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:47 7 0
if nokia calls the ativ s as a warm up, then this should be BIG.
pureview, quad-core processor maybe (just for future proofing?)
nokia spent so much on R&D, i'm thinking they have something else they're keeping... maybe a 1080p screen? a battery that lasts for weeks like old nokias?
NOKIA LUMIA PUREVIEW 3310!
42. techsavvy.jaz posted on 30 Aug 2012, 12:07 2 0
Nokia Lumia N-Gage PureView 3310 !!!! but honestly Nokia wants this now -->
Nokia Lumia Pureview 1100 (more than 3,00,000,00 units sold worlwide)
71. joseph98 posted on 01 Sep 2012, 04:16 0 0
quad-core processor maybe (just for future proofing?)
Sorry but WP8 only support dual-core processor according to Microsoft
12. IamYourFather6657 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 08:50 12 2
How you know , the new lumia's wasnt even launch yet
46. nokianalltheway posted on 30 Aug 2012, 13:55 0 0
or perhaps asked siri or its copied counterpart in s**tsung
50. doejon posted on 30 Aug 2012, 15:32 1 1
by the way i dont like w8 ill get the note 2 windows 8 is good but i dont like the look even confuse me
sorry thats only me opinion dont i dont say that this devices arent good im only talking about myself
ah but i must admit that i hate apple but only for the patentwar and the overpriced devices
sorry for my bad english
56. IamYourFather6657 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 23:45 0 0
Hey sh*thole , specs isnt everything you fag
You Samsung android fanboy
29. mafiaprinc3 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:34 1 0
i can tell the fools by there comments, nokia haven't even launch or announced a wp8 device as yet
58. IamYourFather6657 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 23:46 0 0
I think the Ativ S is good , but those Android Samsung Fanboy Trolls are getting on my nerves
32. mafiaprinc3 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:40 0 0
ativ s is one of the best designed phone samsung has put out in years,same old design for most of their samsung phones, take for instance galaxy series, nokia lumia 800 & 900 are much better designs
15. groupsacc posted on 30 Aug 2012, 09:04 0 0
Good on yas for both Nokia and Samsung going at it the old fashioned way, trying to outduel each other with good products, and little banter here and there.
16. clarkja72 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 09:06 3 0
The Samsung Ativ S is a beautifully designed device, but so is the Nokia Lumia 900. As a current Lumia 900(white) user, I must say, I get asked all the time, "What phone is that?", or "That's a cool phone!". I don't think Nokia will stray too far away from the Lumia design soon, as it is very different than anything else available. Nokia will definitely need to bring PureView and an awesome display to compete with the Ativ S. I'm looking forward to what they bring, as well as HTC. Let the games begin!
21. lubba posted on 30 Aug 2012, 09:41 0 1
What would make them better than SS? There is an answer. STOP f**kING ATT!!!!
23. shuaibhere posted on 30 Aug 2012, 09:59 0 0
Samsung will take some time to take first place in wp manufacturers....but sure it will be in commanding position in near future......
Samsung takes time and makes thing for sure.......
25. sats.mine2k4 posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:06 0 5
Don't know how long Nokia is gonna exist... Sammy will exist (considering it's the No1 smartphone OEM) thanks to Android...
34. haseebzahid posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:42 1 0
samsung got famous only and only because of android remove that whats left nothing.... nokia is not precived like that if wp8 is success nokia will take more market here samsung cannot get that much fame samsung is cool in android and not all the countries nokia is a different story
53. -box- posted on 30 Aug 2012, 16:11 2 0
Don't forget that Nokia only just recently lost its top-seller-by-volume to Samsung, and could easily reclaim it. Not only that, Nokia could survive just off of royalties (and its R&D if they wanted), it doesn't have to make phones to survive
26. Veigald posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:11 3 0
Design-wise, Samsung cannot hold a candle to Nokia. Samsung has probably never sold a single phone due to good design, while Nokia has sold millions. And the situation has been pretty much the opposite on specs. But seeing that specs in the WP8 world matters so much less than it does for Android, design is that more important.
That said, the Ativ looks better than most Samsungs, and even employs premium materials rather than the cheap plastic Samsung is best known for. So it'll be close :)
54. -box- posted on 30 Aug 2012, 16:37 0 0
I would agree, but only in terms of "good" design. They've made a name for themselves having "unique" designs (Note/Note2, Juke, SPH-A960, N270 and V4400, SGH-F200, E910, Z130, Z700, X900 and P400, SCH-B100 and A970) albeit many similar in concept/execution as contemporary models from other OEMs, namely Nokia. Very experimental, some quite whacky, but definitely unique. That said, some of my friends had some of the earlier models, and I remember most of them breaking within a few weeks of ownership, and typically the feature which made it unique (multi-way hinge, some goofy lighting, etc) was what broke first. Not anymore, thankfully.
Side note: going through all the phones in Samsung's history on this site, it's evident there were rectangular phones with rounded corners well before the iphone. Samsung should print those pages out and present them in their appeals
30. haseebzahid posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:38 0 0
well even without PV nokia standout samsung cant beat their superb quality i had my experence on both nokia wins quality and long lasting
35. haseebzahid posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:43 0 0
yes is goes to all the way to 64 coes i think but we stick to quad here at the moment
33. brucewayne posted on 30 Aug 2012, 10:42 0 0
on common platform, samsung cant beat nokia...if only nokia had a flagship on android, it'd sell millions..just one phone can do it..like it does for iphone..you dont need umpteen variants..