What to expect from "amazing Google Maps" for iOS
1. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6694; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Google maps have been the same since day one. About time Apple ditches them in favor of something better. Google Maps is pretty inaccurate.
2. kanagadeepan (Posts: 771; Member since: 24 Jan 2012)
Yes... Apple's MAPS are very very ACCURATE... Go follow it and jump from the bridge, as told by APPLE's wonderful MAPS...
3. appleDOESNT.com (banned) (Posts: 456; Member since: 19 Nov 2011)
Street view (mapped/photographed most of the world by now) sat view, indoor view, 3d view, offline mode.. yep, just about the same since day one :/
4. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Google maps have been the same since day one."
Don't piss against the wind loser...
Timeline growth of Google Maps:http://goo.gl/tF9cL
5. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
See, all you had to do was say "Google Maps *ON iOS* have been the same since day one." Then you wouldn't have been a troll aimed at starting a flame war. Instead, you get a warning.
31. Ivan6479 (Posts: 248; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
Lol Well said Michael. I was thinking the same thing. Unfortunately for Apple users, Google Maps has been the same and this is why Apple users haven't been able to fully enjoy all of the benefits and improvements that Google Maps has made over time, but with this bit of news it just might change for them. Honestly though, instead of people complaining about Google Maps not changing (on iOS) they could have just owned an Android and they'd already be enjoying all of these great features. :)
47. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6694; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Why would I have to say that when the article is ABOUT iOS? So obviously I'm talking about iOS. Not my fault if the readers take offense to every thing said about Google.
6. RangersK (Posts: 63; Member since: 15 May 2012)
He means "Google maps have been the best since day one."
7. Sangeet (Posts: 232; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Dumbest comment of the Day, Everyone Clap..!!
Yet another one not knowing anything, really we have lot's of people like you. For you the link y PhoneArenaUser is a must to check
11. tedkord (Posts: 7345; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Yes, it has been the same since day one - better than anything Apple offers. And it still is.
19. sawilson (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
iOS has been the same since day one. About time Apple ditches it in favor of something better. iOS is pretty unstable.
59. miguel6632 (Posts: 21; Member since: 25 May 2012)
agreed the same in the iphone not on andoid
8. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Google had been anti competitive by withholding navigation from iOS. It only made sense for Apple to come up with their own navigation.
You're articles are terribly long winded to the point where they're unreadable.
12. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Are you kidding me?! Michael Heller's articles are some of the best and most insightful articles. You just don't like Google Maps because it has the word, "Google" in it. I beleive the anti competitive company would be the one that doesn't allow you to use 3rd party apps because they "duplicate iOS functionality." Google is more than happy to allow 3rd party roms and apps.
18. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
I actually like Google maps and use it all the time
22. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
But I'm sure once Apple's maps are released you will say they are way better. And don't insult Michael just because you disagree with him.
13. leftheodo (Posts: 81; Member since: 21 Oct 2011)
"Google had been anti competitive"
LOL! We all know which company is constantly suing the competition cause it's stuck in 2007.
ps: Before you go "Google copied Apple blah blah...." take a look at iOS 5 and 6 "new" features and tell me who's copying here.
17. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
iOS 6 has copied nothing from Google. Fandroids don't get it. Having the same feature isn't copying. It's how it's implemented. Do you think Google copied for having a web browser and email?
Also if Google is open source why didn't they allow Apple to have google navigation?
That's anti competitive behavior
33. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Excellent post my man, very well put.
20. sawilson (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
I always like hearing about the new Android features in iOS. Apple isn't very good at making operating systems. OS9 was horrible. So is iOS. Instead of copying android, they should just use it. Apple is a hardware company. They should let the experts write operating systems.
24. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
apple has been writing sw since the 80's and are the only real alternative to Microsoft. I think they know what they're doing.
They also revolutionized the smartphone and now android is following their footsteps. Big screens and processors isn't innovation.
28. sawilson (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Apple couldn't figure out operating systems. Os9 sucked. They had to reskin bsd Unix to make osx. I'm sorry the facts disagree with your perception of reality. Apple has been very innovative at copying android features poorly.
36. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Yes... It's about time that someone speaks the truth. OS X isn't original at all.
37. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Hmm android was built just like blackberry until iPhone came out and then android became just like iOS.
52. sawilson (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Android came out first. There's proof all over the net. Why not use Google or perhaps Apple's search engine to find it. So because of that, everything apple did would be copying android. Since it came out first.
32. LostInTheRed (Posts: 85; Member since: 03 May 2012)
I usually try to stay out of troll wars going on, but I had to say something this time.
"Having the same feature isn't copying." From all the posts from you I've read, you've base most of your "Android copied" arguements on Android simply having a similar feature. (eg, S-Voice/Siri)
Also on your "Big screens and processors isn't innovation" arguement isn't really much of one.
My retort: implementing features that have been available since Android began, (before it was actually called Android) isn't innovation either.
Apple was innovative and great up to the 3GS, but since, have innovated nothing and has come up with nothing really new.
35. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I completely agree, up until November of 2009 (when the OG DROID came out) the iPhone was hands down the best phone on the market.
38. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Android has come up with nothing new. They just followed in iOS footsteps and added features Apple purpose withheld to make a good user experience. That's why android has less than 50% satisfaction rating and is known as the buggy laggy OS.
51. sawilson (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
Yet Android dominates the smartphone market with double the market share that ios has lol. I guess the whole world is stupid and you are smarter than the whole world. I'm sorry iOS lost. It just wasn't good enough.
58. LostInTheRed (Posts: 85; Member since: 03 May 2012)
Features that Apple withheld on purpose (and a reliable source please)? Please, inform me of which features these were. THEN tell me how many of them are they now adding to their OS after Android has become so popular using the same features. Apple more than likely didn't withhold anything. Odds are they never planned on adding them at all until Android took hold.
41. BattleBrat (Posts: 1270; Member since: 26 Oct 2011)
Play with an ICS device, THAT is innovation, Android around froyo was buggy and laggy and crashy YES IT WAS I HAVE A DROID 1 AND I WENT THROUGH IT.
Then came Gingerbread, and that's when Android NAILED stability, my RAZR on gingerbread 2.3.6 was more stable than my iPod touch on ios 5.1.1
Now with ICS, Android has nailed polish, ICS is sooo beautiful and smooth, better than looking at the grid of apps, all my ipod Touch shows me is a grid of apps WHEN WILL IT CHANGE!?!?!
42. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
"WHEN WILL IT CHANGE!?!?!" Never, apparently most iOS users don't like customization or freedom.
68. tegradragon (Posts: 68; Member since: 23 May 2012)
As much as I know that Gingerbread was/is a great operating system with high levels of stability, It just CANNOT be more stable than iOS on iPod Touch. Im not saying that Gingerbread is not bad, but iOS is much more stable. ICS though is a total winner.
34. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
What a foolish statement. Apple is a hardware/software company, this is one of the reasons the os works very seamlessly with the hardware. Also if therein so terrible at software, then y r their products the product that the companies want to kill. iPhone killer anybody. Get your facts straight apple isn't the most valuable company in the world for nothing.
49. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Get your facts straight apple isn't the most valuable company in the world for nothing."
For fooling marketing but not because of god hardware or software...
21. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
There is no proof that Google withheld Navigation, but just like there is no proof that Apple blocked it in order to have its big announcement of its own Maps.
If you are going to assert something like that, and back it up with references.
67. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 6694; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Let's see your references Mr. Heller. I'm quite interested in the Apple blocking Navigation for their own maps.
9. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
I don't care if Google gives Maps to iOS or not . IF they want to b caged away from the entire world, so let them be ...I am happy as long as I see IT in my Android ..
10. blade (Posts: 32; Member since: 28 May 2012)
what the fucck Google is pretty much dump here what the heck they are trying to show apple they have there stupid maps whay on the earth such a favour to apple
and @apple u think so much smart of you go yourself build an apple search engine,
apple mail ,apple social networking...........
23. lil2070 (Posts: 14; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
Google maps with offline mapping and street view ..I would prefer using google instead of IOS 6 maps
26. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
What benefit would Apple have to block it? Obviously its Google since navigation was one of the few advantages of android.
You're articles stink of fanboy and it sucks to see that type of writing on PA. This website has gone downhill since you joined.
What other writing posts "articles" based on arguments in the comment section?
29. Sackboy117 (Posts: 178; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
Is that his? Nice to see that there is something else out there other than Apple that is taco50's Everything.
50. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Let's hope that cat's name is not a Steve or iCat. :D
30. MichaelHeller (Posts: 2693; Member since: 26 May 2011)
If Apple had plans to get rid of Google Maps (which looks to have been in the works for at least 3 years), then it benefits by holding back Maps updates because it makes the proprietary offering look that much better.
If Google Maps on iOS had been updated with navigation and 3D, the reaction to Apple Maps would have been "who cares?" rather than "awesome! We finally have navigation!"
40. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Is it even legal for Apple to keep other maps off its devices? Look at what happened when Microsoft tried to keep other browsers off of Windows.
43. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
No it's not. Michael is being a fanboy as usual.
53. sawilson (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
The difference is that Microsoft had a majority of the market. Apple has never had the majority of the phone market. That's Android's territory. Google phone users outnumber apple two to one. Now, Google couldn't get away with it because they are the market leader.
45. true1984 (Posts: 688; Member since: 23 May 2012)
it also forces people on the 3gs and 4 to upgrade since it will only b on the 4s and 5. its pretty ridiculous since my old htc hero on android 2.1 had the same thing
48. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
taco stop talking
Save yourself some time and do something better
Yes i dont hate apple but non of your arguments make sense
You are making everyone in this site hate you
46. flipjzn (Posts: 201; Member since: 22 Jun 2012)
This would be nice! Having the best of both worlds. Apple maps for reviews and and reservations and Google maps for other features ;)
54. sawilson (Posts: 12; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
I don't think we should be so hard on Apple here. They are just copying Google, who is the market leader. Why wouldn't you copy a better company? Apple has copied Google a lot. You can see with their copy of Android they put on the iphone line of phones. I say just leave them alone. It has to sting losing the smartphone market to the better technology from Google. One day people woke up and decided they didn't want a tiny fragile fashion phone with sharp corners anymore. They wanted real phones from better makers like HTC and Samsung like their friends have. They are scrambling to hold onto that market share doing anything they can. iPhone is the next blackberry. I think we all see the writing on the wall. I feel kinda sad for them.