What new features would you like to see in Android 5 Key Lime Pie?
At least, this is how Google is believed to name the next major iteration of Android. With Android 4.2 sticking to the Jelly Bean name, Key Lime Pie will probably be in the menu for Android 5, expected to arrive by the middle of next year. Unfortunately, there's almost no information currently about Android's 5th version, what new features it might include, and what direction it's going to take Android. However, there's one good thing in this and it's that we can freely speculate about all the new stuff that's going to make its way to the new OS!
Aside from that, it's really difficult to find other weak spots in Google's mobile OS (power management, maybe?). The search giant has added so much functionality and so many customization options that it's hard to find an unsolvable issue. But maybe you have some suggestions for the search giant?
OK, then - what new features would you like to see in Android's next version - Key Lime Pie?
30. MeoCao (unregistered) posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:51 2 4
LOL, but I think voice control will be more and more important. Both Android and iOS are moving in that direction with Google's technology is far ahead.
I'd love Key Lime Pie to use voice more to control the phone like launching play list, turn by turn navigation...
The developers will do many good things with the Voice Recognition API.
38. IHateApple posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:11 6 0
WebOS like multitasking, a "Lite" version for older/cheaper phones (like Galaxy Mini, Xperia Tipo etc.), Siri like assistant, and MOST IMPORTANTLY an option to remove manufacturer customizations.
40. IHateApple posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:21 11 0
And my favorite feature will be:- Official Youtube app supporting video downloading.
64. DigitalMD posted on 20 Nov 2012, 12:20 1 0
A more unified kernel and driver set with less vendor and proprietary items needed to build a updated ROM. That's still the biggest downside to Android. It takes 6 to 12 months to get a OS update pushed out to most phones and tablets . Many never see an update at all, so all the new features go to waste
2. shy2papa posted on 20 Nov 2012, 03:50 3 7
More emphasis on security the only bad thing MS & apple can say about android is its not secure enough
18. Mxyzptlk posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:45 1 11
I think there's more although security really needs to be improved in the next version.
55. Mr.Verizon posted on 20 Nov 2012, 08:22 7 1
Like apple's devices are immune to security breaches. Seems like every celebrity phone that gets hacked and has contacts and pictures stripped and put online is an iphone. Android OS isn't perfect by any stretch but they aren't afraid to say it. You seem to believe that your Apple logo is superman.
57. moronman66 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 08:35 4 0
It's really not that insecure if you only download apps from where you're "supposed" to, the Google Play Store. Seriously, only .55% of all of the malware applications that people get on Android is from the Google Play Store, the rest is sideloaded, and that's taking a risk, and they did add a scanner thingy to that in 4.2. People need to be educated on the facts on the marketing of competition.
3. dan86 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 03:52 7 0
1080p native resolution, with support upto 32 bit color depth.
Improved Power management.
62. SuperMaoriBro posted on 20 Nov 2012, 11:23 1 0
This. So that you can plug your mobile into a desktop monitor and run native res with normal sized fonts for web surfing, document creation/editing
4. _Bone_ posted on 20 Nov 2012, 03:55 16 1
- multi-view, especially on tabs, c'mon Google, a monkey could do that.
- regular widgets, google now, push messages to lockscreen
- USB OTG for Nexus, c'mon, we want to move our files to pen-drive without root
- offline navigation, POI saving, AR mode (already teased)
- option to replace phablet UI with something more useful, google bar too
- a stable, fast Chrome gawddamnit!
15. thelegend6657 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:37 4 2
I like how on Maemo , meego and WebOS multitask . Those multitask cards are actually live not like on google its just a snapshot
28. Berzerk000 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:48 3 0
I thought the Nexus 7 had USB OTG, so doesn't that mean the Nexus 4 would have it also?
41. Asasindude26 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:27 2 0
It does,the Gnex doesn't but the Nexus 7,10 and 4 all do :)
60. rmc8293 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 10:41 0 0
Nexus Media Importer. Works for all android devices w/o root.
6. flower99 (banned) posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:01 2 1
hi, im an ios user and i wish to have an android device. Dont get me wrong, ios is great. But i wanna try something beyond the ios. So which should i choose? Wat thing should i need to concerned? Is nexus better compare to other android? I suddenly got attracted by nexus 7 because of the attractive price, but i need a feedback, is nexus 7 really that good?
12. TylerGrunter posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:31 4 0
Nexus is google brand, which main advantage is to have fastest updates for the OS.
The Nexus 7 is not the best of the market, but the one that gives the best price/quality ratio by far, as low as $200 for quite a nice hardware. To get something with better HW you'll have to pay $100 more at least.
For the rest: there are too many things to check to give you a full list, but at least check the processor, GPU, screen resolution, RAM an internal memory. Also taht microSD and MHL (HDMI) are included. I'm probaly missing serveral more... You can also check the cameras, but I normally only care about them on phones, not tablets.
31. noim1 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:51 3 0
Yup the Nexus 7 is great...bought one few weeks ago..its amazing for the price i paid...bang for buck,,,,
53. protozeloz posted on 20 Nov 2012, 07:50 0 0
Nexus 7 is nice, a great start I believe, but things depend on how you feel and what you look for, you care for fast updates packed with features? What carrier would you like? My recommendation for you might be (on phones)
Droid RAZR M or HD
80. tumchaaditya posted on 20 Nov 2012, 22:20 0 0
Something like Nokia Suite perhaps...
Control all content in a central place...
(Current manufacurer softs suck! e.g. Kies. We need something from Google)
8. Samsomesh posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:06 2 0
Can we change the album photo of a certain album of music player in android..?
9. Paviour posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:10 4 3
I want the chromnium os to die, and android becomes the multi-platform OS that will dominate the world :)
14. _Bone_ posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:37 10 0
Google has quality apps for tablets, it's other developers that need to stop being lazy.
44. blingblingthing posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:44 0 0
He must want Google to put a gun the Dev's head and order a tablet oriented app.
29. Berzerk000 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:50 5 0
That's the app developer's fault, not Google's.
17. TylerGrunter posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:39 2 0
I woul like to see:
- multi app in foreground (split windows) for tablets and phones over 4.5 inches.
- Smart menus that give you menus depending on usage.
- Multi screen support, not just cloning but with extended display.
- Increase of support for USB and wiless external devices.
- Desktop support for Android (and send Chrome OS to the garbage)
20. mangmang posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:50 1 3
I think google really needs to work on android stability and making the system faster, I love android but overall if you look at ios it is much more smoother and seamless, this is a feature that google really needs to focus on because at the end of the day with all the new screen sizes and resolution and ram and etc one needs a phone that works fast, seamless and doesnt slow down with need for daily or everyother day rebooting to make it faster.
Long live Android
45. blingblingthing posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:50 3 1
Please avoid saying iOS is smoother. iOS is like PS1 game running well on a PS2. It runs well at the end of the day. But it isn't any technical achievement since it doesn't do many of the elements on android does.
85. mangmang posted on 23 Nov 2012, 15:14 0 0
I agree that android is technically more advanced that ios but the thread was for features that may be included in keylime pie and I think android can improve one making the core system more smooth.
47. cretinick posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:59 1 0
I don't know what kind of phone you are dealing, but my Android get running for weeks without reboots...
Sometimes I turn it off, just to charge faster. But never reboots to make it fast!
I'm talking about a 2010 model!
84. dan86 posted on 21 Nov 2012, 22:04 0 0
Mangmang act as he is a tester! Lol Dr. well iOS is quite jealous as android is eating its lunch!
86. mangmang posted on 23 Nov 2012, 15:17 0 0
lol I am not a tester but i feel the core system can run smoother, just my opinion
21. someones4 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:53 0 2
optimization of os to the point of ios
other tinkerings like taking screenshots and stuff
73. KaiTech posted on 20 Nov 2012, 17:29 0 0
wow, stop being so specific... ;)
Screenshot ability has been available since Gingerbread or even Froyo from what I know. Do your research dood.
77. someones4 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 19:31 0 0
i mean an easier way to take screenshots. Don't really like the way screenshot is taken on ICS
22. chronopc posted on 20 Nov 2012, 04:56 2 0
- Multitasking like Samsung was able to do
- Ability to hide the navigation bar
- Power widgets on the notification like the one available on custom roms
- Ability to import pdf and epub into Google Books
- Ability to wrap text on Chrome at any zoom level
- App data syncing between devices
72. KaiTech posted on 20 Nov 2012, 17:27 0 0
- Power widgets on the notification like the one available on custom roms
4.2 introduced the double finger pulldown to access quick settings menu, so you can check this off.
24. MANSBH posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:21 0 0
Lots of thing need to be done, for the time being I want to request to improve in Calls Option "Black List". At the time of creation of Black List from Contacts we have to include one by one, it will be perfect to add required numbers in one time process by clicking them. Thanks
25. MANSBH posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:24 0 0
The most important there should be an option in writing pad to increase the Font or Letters size same like menu letters resizing option.
26. MANSBH posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:26 0 0
I have tried all Galaxy Models, now I am using S3. Still most of the time I am facing problem of stuck, specially when you need any function urgently.
27. darac posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:30 0 0
Apart from stuff already mentioned in comments, I can only think of multi folders (folder within folder), and a system wide, personalized Google Now..and the full system theme support
32. Shino posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:52 0 1
The os is a different thing, but the names are ridiculous, really.
33. Aeires (unregistered) posted on 20 Nov 2012, 05:56 4 0
In Settings > Apps, there should be a grabbable scroll bar. When you have 200 apps or so, scrolling to the end of the list to delete something sucks. Improved speed of JB has helped but any list that is over a certain value should have a grabbable scroll handle.
34. hung2900 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:03 0 0
Make a soft OS for weaker devices and a strong OS for stronger devices.
It may make the OS more fragmented but better for a long time.
35. shuaibhere posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:05 0 0
Customisation centre...and central widget for contacts with all social media support......just like an live tile but with more functionality..... I think had it before....but it kinda sucks...
36. Firedrops posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:07 2 0
I think the way the system makes use of hardware should have some drastic improvement. WP 7.5-8 and iOS had buttery smoothness even on single-core phones, whereareas Android now only manages to do that with Kraits or quad-cores, and post-ICS. Specifically, hardware acceleration should be more efficient and used.
37. tiara6918 posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:07 1 0
Support for xbox and ps3 controllers(an official one). Hopefully google will partner up with microsoft(although chances are low), sony or nintendo to make this possible.
39. kushki posted on 20 Nov 2012, 06:21 1 0
Add the December month back, without that there will be shortage of 31 days in a year, the earth wont be at the same position as it was in the last year... all the NASA calculations will be wrong and the space shuttles/stations will be lost in the space, Dexter will end a month early making its season even shorter, and the most important is my birthday is in December, so I wont be able to age and officially buy beer...