What happens when gravity meets a BlackBerry PlayBook
0. phoneArena posted on 22 Apr 2011, 15:55
Want to see how sturdy the BlackBerry PlayBook is? Warranty company Square Trade performed a drop test on the tablet to see how it would hold up to gravity doing its dirty work on one of RIM's business-oriented devices...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. Kartiel (unregistered) posted on 22 Apr 2011, 16:28 0 0
Will it Blend wanna be....
2. Rawrzellers posted on 22 Apr 2011, 16:36 1 1
This makes me sad :c expected better from blackberry.
3. box (unregistered) posted on 22 Apr 2011, 17:07 2 0
Tablets and laptops (and monitors and TVs) are more likely to take damage & have a screen break because it uses larger flat surfaces and fewer shock-absorbing parts compared to a phone, mp3 player, etc. Yes, they're designed to take a few hits, but not made to be indestructable
4. cheetah2k posted on 22 Apr 2011, 18:01 1 0
I thought it did pretty well. I dropped an ipad from less height than this on to carpet and there was enough body twist to dislodge and crack the front glass.....
Now I've got the playbook 64Gb coming, first thing I'll be doing is getting Otterbox like protection for it!!
5. p0rkguy posted on 22 Apr 2011, 18:11 3 0
"Probably 3 or 4 times bigger than my iPhone"
"They said this is just a pound but it kind of feels like a block, pretty heavy"
The moment I heard that, I already knew this guy was a tool. I'm obviously going to compare a tablet to a phone and drop that waist high to see if it would break. Worst part was he doesn't even drop his iPhone, so what's to compare?
Please tell me they tried this on an iPad 2 first.
Sorry but this has fanboy written all over it.
7. egy_dooby (unregistered) posted on 22 Apr 2011, 20:13 0 0
Want to see if the ipad gonna pass this test or not ?
11. vishu9 posted on 23 Apr 2011, 03:03 0 0
well my friend's ipad fell on its face from a little above knee height and the front glass had a huge ugly cracked scar to show all along its length!..and it wasnt even on the concrete!!
12. BadAssAbe posted on 23 Apr 2011, 10:25 0 0
Does anyone know if the playbook has gorilla glass?
16. cheetah2k posted on 23 Apr 2011, 17:10 0 0
yep, its gorilla glass...
But even gorilla glass ain't gonna protect you from a 1.2m fall face first onto concrete!
13. ZayZay posted on 23 Apr 2011, 11:47 2 0
Seriously? How dumb do you have to be to drop your tablet. Your expensive tablet. If I had one I would be so careful it would never meet the ground unless I was setting it on the ground ontop of a cloth. What did you really think would happen if you dropped a heavy tablet on the ground? It would magically show no scratches or dings?
14. ipad2 (unregistered) posted on 23 Apr 2011, 11:58 0 0
i totally agree
15. codymws posted on 23 Apr 2011, 12:37 1 0
If they don't want that PlayBook, I could've gladly taken it off their hands.... they don't need to break it....
17. anythinggoes4me posted on 20 Feb 2012, 08:07 0 0
The Playbook actually fared better than the Ipad II and other tablets that these same people drop tested. The Playbook took three drops before the screen shattered, the Ipad II completely shattered with just one drop.