What do you dislike about the Galaxy S4?
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2013, 09:37 posted on
Ah, the Galaxy S4! It's definitely one of the very best Android smartphones around, and yet, we're sure that there a a good number of people out there who hate it. By the way, there's a lot people who also hate us, but that's because of our money. Anyway, the Galaxy S4 sure has its enemies, but why? What could be wrong this seemingly perfect Android smartphone? Hm, when you think about it, there are some things that can irritate some users. How about the cheap-feeling plastic? You buy an expensive gadget and it suddenly feels like your 5 year-old son's toy-phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
193. RORYREVOLUTION (Posts: 2800; Member since: 12 Jan 2010)
The Galaxy S3, despite having a 4.8 inch display is extremely comfortable to hold and is very light weight. Adding a bigger display, bigger battery, higher screen resolution and despite that being nearly the same height and width and actually being even thinner, makes the S4 an amazing device to use.
People may not like it's plastic, but I don't mind. Everyone has the right to choose what device they want to use and I am happy for them.
196. protozeloz (Posts: 5186; Member since: 16 Sep 2010)
The lack of on screen buttons and the dammed sound shot... That's all for me
214. Altair (Posts: 250; Member since: 02 Feb 2012)
It is easier to ask what I like with this cheap looking plastic product. Based of "a stolen product - Steven Jobs".
G4 is nothing but another row of icons. There is nothing innovative in this. HTC One has something this will never has. But none of this matters, as I have optimal and innovative phone Nokia Lumia 920.
To answer the question. The only thing I like, is removable battery. Thats all.
216. johnbftl (Posts: 136; Member since: 09 Jun 2012)
My only gripe is Touchwiz. As to the "cheap plastic" it's far lighter than a metal casing. The reason it looks like a toy would be the gloss finish.
I'd much rather like to address Ray and his article. I get it by reading your articles. You're an avid Apple fanboy. That's fine, it's your preference. You are however a writer for a company that reviews and covers news for EVERYTHING in the wireless industry, not just Apple. If you want to just cover Apple and bash everything Android, go write for 9to5mac. I cannot recall an article I've read by you that had anything good to say about the OS or a device without then comparing it to the iPhone. Why don't we try some objective journalism, huh? Your colleagues seem to be able to do it, why can't you?
223. mydi.maus (unregistered)
i hate this GALAXY S4 PLASTIC..but thinking of buying it anyway.
231. icyrock1 (Posts: 239; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
My only complaint, looking at it from a pure spec stand point, is that it uses OLED instead of LCD. I always hated how OLED's tend to lean more green.
232. GrmanR (Posts: 40; Member since: 09 Apr 2013)
I wouldn't dislike it as much if they sold other phones on my country, here in Colombia all you can get is an S3, an iPhone or a BlackBerry (non bb10) so there is no variety, I'm used to seeing the same phone everywhere and now the S4 is just an improved S3 rather than a whole new phone, it tires me
234. tiara6918 (Posts: 1097; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
So many things I hate about the s4,but still I'm interested with the device:
1. Cheap plastic materials(it doesn't feel good to hold in your hand compared to other devices)
2. Remove those shiny things on the side,earpiece,home button(it just gets easily scratched and dented,I don't find them attractive at all)
3. Get rid of those gimmicky features(I bet majority of galaxy owners don't even use them and just a waste of space and makes things a lot more complicated when you're using the phone)
4. Could have a camera button, it's quite more convenient when you're taking pictures.
5. Touchwiz could be better(I would say that many users don't use their home screen but htc is somehow hearing something from their consumers and now starts changing sense by adding blink feed instead of the traditional ui, I hope you do something similar to that)
6. Wider camera angle,ois should be present on this device considering the competition
7.Not so good call quality
and my list goes on...
236. DontHateOnS60 (Posts: 721; Member since: 20 Apr 2009)
No xenon flash, still no camera button, their insistence with using MHL over microHDMI, and the plastic body.
237. lyndon420 (Posts: 1358; Member since: 11 Jul 2012)
What I hate most is Sammys reluctance to listen to Google's advice and instructions in regards to Android. That one physical key at the bottom looks gay as hell and reminds me of apple (not bashing apple - that's the way they chose to design their phones, and IMO a circle looks better than what Sammy decided to jam in there). I want a full screen device with no physical or capacitive buttons on the front. Guess I'm after a nexus, but not from LG or Sammy. Maybe either HTC or Moto.
239. Dunknown (Posts: 78; Member since: 23 Jul 2012)
This is definitely not worth it. The feels of Lumia 920 is even better than S4. 920 feels solid and more premium. And yet Lumia is more cheaper than S4
244. rusticguy (Posts: 2696; Member since: 11 Aug 2012)
That it will be COPIED by Apple in 2018 :(
245. rvp10sucks (Posts: 5; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
don't really hate any particular thing about the phone.
just that samsung is again going to release n different models for n different countries with different specs ... :-/
250. daniel_bargs (Posts: 319; Member since: 27 Nov 2010)
damn this has no FM radio. f**k. so expensive, but lack of FM radio made others look more perfect. and the design is OK, not exceptional.
254. slannmage (Posts: 10; Member since: 26 Mar 2013)
The design, I like plastic, I love the design of the 920 and the 808, sadly Samsung cannot make their plastic phones feel premium like Nokia can.
That said it's the best all rounder again so far, design is subjective and there are downsides to the One's design, like major downsides and right now build quality issues are one of them.
For me though, I haven't been blow away by any phone so far this year.
256. murad2010 (Posts: 12; Member since: 27 Dec 2012)
i'll prefer galaxy s4 if it come with water protection
and here a comparative in my blog between S4, One, iPhone 5 and Xperia Z
259. Scorpion (Posts: 43; Member since: 28 Apr 2012)
Too many features, too complicated for regular users. That's why the Xperia Z actually has a chance against it - It's simple to use and relaible in all conditions "it just works". HTC has done it right with 3 well defined stunts - Feed, Camera, Stereo speakers. Too bad the camera is only good for parties and concerts.
265. Bluesky02 (Posts: 1429; Member since: 05 Dec 2011)
Aside from the plastic feeling and same modified design there's nothing to be dislike. However HTC One has a killer look to be honest.
267. aahmed215 (Posts: 70; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
If you want an S Pen, go buy a Note. That's a bit like wishing the iPod Touch could have a SIM card.
269. MoshuXXL (Posts: 3; Member since: 12 Mar 2013)
What I dislike about S4:
- It's practically almost the same as S3 from a design point of view
- The toy like feeling of the plastic (polycarbonate). There are some other plastic made phones that are way much better to look at and feel. I don't mind to keep it plastic Samsung but make it look premium.
- The camera FOV (field of view) is smaller than the competition's (even S3 has it better)
Conclusion: This year the others will give them a run for the money.
271. T12RYK (Posts: 96; Member since: 10 Jun 2011)
If you could combine HTC's hardware and software with Samsung's innovation it would be close to a perfect device. I'd like to own a Samsung because of their innovation but just don't like the plastic hardware or the look of the software at all, HTC is good in that department now but they lack the innovation they had a few years back,
272. jovy121 (Posts: 14; Member since: 14 Mar 2011)
It's made by Samsung!!!! You can debate me in person if you want on a slow day like the S4 launch day by all 4 carriers. HAHAHAHA
Don't these phones go FREE after 6 months online since theres a newer model coming out soon?
275. Taters (Posts: 1744; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I still haven't touched a display model, friends phone, any of my Samsung phones or tablets, and there are A LOT everywhere that has creaked yet.
I know the human mind is pretty weak and vulnerable to perceptions, but I don't think we are that stupid. So I am pretty sure, based on the evidence, that the people that say the GS3 and Note 2 creak are lying.
276. scsa852k (Posts: 235; Member since: 16 Oct 2012)
The audacity to make almost no design changes compared to S III.
There are WAY WAY too many Galaxy variants with this glossy plastic design, it makes me vomit.
But then again... If you're an Android person, you just can't go wrong with SIV.
Spec wise, it's the best Android phone in 2013 period
277. Kalevro (Posts: 54; Member since: 11 Sep 2011)
WTF is wrong with you people ? Jeez give the Samsung twerp a slap please. I used to like you guys being professional and responsible tech informers. But this topic seems to be written by a 15 year old. C'mon guys choose your staff better. Who cares about hate and stuff if you don't put them in the topic. Way too much unwanted jokes dude.
279. kissily (Posts: 53; Member since: 09 Oct 2012)
I was expecting a different design for the S4. Apart from that all is well done.
282. mydi.maus (unregistered)
i dont like galaxy s4 cause of xperia z.
284. Arakgreg (Posts: 6; Member since: 14 Apr 2013)
regardless of their previous success with galaxy 2 and 3 , Samsung should have done some face lift to improve the good old look .
to be honest I love the look of S2 more than S3 and S4
286. andrew1953 (Posts: 174; Member since: 13 Nov 2011)
If you don't like the plasticky feel of a Galaxy,put in a good quality case as I did with my Note 2. You should do that anyway. I don't have an issue with the build quality of the Samsung gear at all.
289. itreday (Posts: 68; Member since: 24 May 2012)
I think they should of went with unibody design and premium material, like the HTC One.
292. Ulver (Posts: 2; Member since: 25 Mar 2013)
the body materials
everything about the interface look
294. calim (Posts: 15; Member since: 09 Mar 2013)
Overly saturated colors
Thouchwiz is ugly
Plastic, as I'm now using an aluminum phone.. Can go for glass, steel or aluminum next time.
Locked source code
I could probably find more I dislike but I've already chosen not to go for the S4, so I won't research further into it.
295. trexnkrumpets (Posts: 43; Member since: 15 Jan 2013)
The cheap flimsy plastic. I really don't care all that much about the thinness of the devices more so than the durability.
297. TMach (Posts: 266; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
Oh yeah, premium price tag for less than premium feeling smartphone! £600/$890 Sim Free, now that is, in UK parlance, taking the piss!!
299. marions (Posts: 12; Member since: 19 May 2012)
Call quality inferior. Cheap looking, plastic. Bloat.
300. darkkjedii (Posts: 7714; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
Air gestures, and lack of auto compression/auto edit in the video camera.