What do you dislike about the Galaxy S4?
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2013, 09:37 posted on
Ah, the Galaxy S4! It's definitely one of the very best Android smartphones around, and yet, we're sure that there a a good number of people out there who hate it. By the way, there's a lot people who also hate us, but that's because of our money. Anyway, the Galaxy S4 sure has its enemies, but why? What could be wrong this seemingly perfect Android smartphone? Hm, when you think about it, there are some things that can irritate some users. How about the cheap-feeling plastic? You buy an expensive gadget and it suddenly feels like your 5 year-old son's toy-phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
105. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
There is few main things which I dislike like about Samsung Galaxy S 4:
1. OLED based display.
2. Cheap looking design.
3. Too much gimmick bloatware.
Everything else looks good.
200. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
OLED > IPS.
They don't use GOOD OLED, if it was a good oled the phone screen would be dominating everything. But to do that it would cost $1000+ unlocked.
217. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
They don't use good OLED because at the moment there is no enough good OLED. :)
LCD > OLED (at least for today)
218. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Wait a few years OLED will surpass IPS, right now it has its advantages over IPS though. While IPS just looks more natural but doesn't have deep blacks.
222. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Wait a few years OLED will surpass IPS..."
OLED is already here for many years so it already had to surpass LCD, sadly but didn't...
"right now it has its advantages over IPS though."
Yes, OLED has some advantages over LCD, but at the moment these advantages can't buy off all disadvantges that OLED has.
In your comment's you use abbreviation "IPS", but we are talking not about matrices! ;)
241. taikucing (unregistered)
OLED has better brightness. Under the sun light it still looks clear.
235. Taters (Posts: 4782; Member since: 28 Jan 2013)
I prefer an IPS display for phones and tablets myself but software features can't be a con. Just turn it off. That is like saying the cable company gives you too many channels as a con, just block the channels you hate.
This OLED display is supposedly pretty nice though. We will see.
242. KFear (Posts: 139; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
good point. they must appeal to the most people. Ones gimmick might be another's favorite feature
136. zuckerboy (banned) (Posts: 898; Member since: 22 Dec 2011)
htc one maybe but sony has washed screen
262. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
Don't be sorry, we actually feel sorry for you trolling in here like your possessed ... Haters will hate!
11. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
The price is reasonable when this phone has a display that match your home's hdtv and this phone has more sensors than a weather station...
When no phone except nexi comes with android 4.2 and full fledged quadcore a15 processors this sports both of em.
15. KashAli (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
You moron you call £600 a "reasonable" soon it will hit £1000 then!!! (wasn't £500 more then enough)!
21. sheik (Posts: 249; Member since: 12 Sep 2012)
If it's not reasonable then why do you care about hitting 1000£ you dumba$$?
You cant buy a ferrari at the price of hyundai accord...
26. KashAli (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
it is not reasonable At All. £600 is too much. In future they might hit £1000 you moron and you still going to say "reasonable" then !
73. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Honda Accord dude.. lol
92. KashAli (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
Lamborghini "Accord" !!! for the price of smartphone!
263. moroninc (Posts: 193; Member since: 14 Jul 2012)
you want insane prices go buy an iPhone.. Samsung has always sold its devices cheaper than the iphone. even a Chinese phone costs around $450..
274. KashAli (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
You moron you call £600 cheap? Convert that into dollars (your currency) your eyes will pop out!
201. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The price is more justified than HTC One, the amoled screens they make cost around $200 by themselves. The LCD in the HTC One cost like 1/5th of the price of the amoled at best.
5. tech2 (Posts: 3015; Member since: 26 Oct 2012)
Welcome to heaven of fanboyism talks !
BTW, Funny article Ray !
75. SleepingOz (unregistered)
I couldn't care less oabout the plastic body, but I certainly don't like the "hyperglazed" look.
131. osmaankhaan (unregistered)
I also have one and here it goes ........ nil
134. SleepingOz (unregistered)
202. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Its actually polycarb which is much stronger than plastic on the s3 and the metal used on the HTC One.
8. baldilocks (Posts: 604; Member since: 14 Dec 2008)
I hate the fact that it's not available yet....
9. mrraider602 (Posts: 20; Member since: 27 Mar 2013)
I hate the fact that its not in my possession!!!
10. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Well, I'll start with the plastic body, also the design, definitely Touchwiz. And I know I'll get a lot of hate for this, but I don't like the operating system either.
12. sveltekat (Posts: 7; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
It looks too much like the S3 to be honest.
203. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Its internals look nothing like the s3 atleast.
13. Andrewtst (Posts: 484; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
Too identical design as previous generation S III, and still cheap look not solid plastic body.
This 2 made me won't buy S4.
204. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
I was lucky enough to use the S4, the plastic feels very well constructed and not cheap like the s3.
229. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
what the hell you talking about, S4 and S3 using the same polycarbonate and with the same Hyperglazed finish, but you said is not cheap like S3 and much stronger the S3 and HTC One,
S4 have gorila glass 3 wich stronger than S3 and HTC one, so the only thing that would help S4 from a drop test is gorila glass 3 not that cheap plastic
243. taikucing (unregistered)
Ah, meet you again, dumba$$. Clearly you don't know about polycarbonate. It's a material that's been used for motorcycle helmet for years. Yes, it's plastic, but it's polycarbonate, very strong, flexible and has been proved in motorcycle racing. So what's wrong?
I want my helmet made of gorilla glass, but wait, it can't absorb the damage, but transmits the damage to your head or shatter if I fall from motorcycle at high speed.
Plastic absorbs & damps the damage, while the glass will break at high frequency impact (ie: when falling). I challenge you to drop the gorilla glass from 20 m of height, not 2 m of height. I want to see if it still can survive like the polycarbonate does.
On the other side, the metal will dent when it hits hard material and it's irreversible.
247. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
damn why fanboy like you Soooo.. stupid, you don't have to explain about polycarbonate because i spent 4 years of my life to know almost anything about material from plastic to kevlar,
we not talking about helmet but we talking about samsung smartphone
how about we compare 3 ''plastic'' device
1. Lumia 920
2. Xperia Acro S
3. Galaxy S4
please tell me wich one have the worst build quality?????
Premium device must looks and feels premium not only have best feature and hardware just like ROLEX
''plastic is not premium''
14. Alexander_K (Posts: 19; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
Cheap plastic. Boring design. Its "unique" are actually stolen ideas from Nokia, Sony and LG. It fails every drop test. :)
219. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The metal on the one is easier to damage than the plastic on the S3. The S4 is using polycarb which is like 15x more durable than plastic. You should be worried about the glass on sonys Z and Htcs aluminium body.
16. ArtSim98 (Posts: 3509; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
Hmmmmmmm. Probably the plastic body and ugly TouchWiz user interface. Hehhehehe.
158. dragonite99 (unregistered)
nature ux is the best looking android skin with best features too
192. SleepingOz (unregistered)
"best looking" is subjective..
No doubt for "best features" though!
18. amozhi (Posts: 125; Member since: 23 Oct 2012)
Though it is very capable and productive phone...design is ugly..plastics are ok..but not cheap plastics for premium phones
205. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
So a phone is supposed to be based off looks/materials not functionality/power?
You could use the uglyiest phone and the best looking phone, if the best looking phone has worse hardware im going with the ugly phone.
230. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
amozhi talking about premium phone should use premium material and software,
19. clevername (Posts: 1435; Member since: 11 Jul 2008)
Btw, fantastic article. I kinda want a floppy drive now
23. bojan (Posts: 188; Member since: 06 Oct 2012)
cheap body and its not bezel less screen i wish it was i hate thats its the same desgin as the s3 looks very cheap. i wish it had better camera at night
33. nexusalltheway (Posts: 69; Member since: 28 Nov 2012)
U may need to go to eye Dr. It doesn't look cheap at all and design is much better than s3 also. Buy HTC one and dont forget that Otterbox to cover it!!
207. HDShatter (Posts: 1021; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Otterbox is going to make the phone look cheaper than the polycarb on the s4 xD but ya its true. Metal is really easy to dent/scratch look at the iphone 5.
285. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1127; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
S4 and S3 have same design and using the same polycarbonate with the same hyperglazed finish so its looks and feels cheap, but the worst is bad build quality
my old stainless steel nokia E6-00 still looks and feels more premium than my galaxy S2 and i never use cases
27. magnanimus (Posts: 417; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Funny article Ray. I think people hate the phone because they're hating on Samsung's success. Really, the phone is just perfect.
40. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
perfect doesnt exist , there no such device that can be called perfect
your showing your fanboy side alot more
46. magnanimus (Posts: 417; Member since: 29 Mar 2013)
Here you are again. Lemme enjoy my fanboy side a bit :( Its always fun seeing people hating on Samsung
94. KashAli (Posts: 105; Member since: 01 Apr 2013)
Fight Fight fight ! ! ! morons its just a smartphone :-S