What do you dislike about the Galaxy S4?
0. phoneArena 12 Apr 2013, 09:37 posted on
Ah, the Galaxy S4! It's definitely one of the very best Android smartphones around, and yet, we're sure that there a a good number of people out there who hate it. By the way, there's a lot people who also hate us, but that's because of our money. Anyway, the Galaxy S4 sure has its enemies, but why? What could be wrong this seemingly perfect Android smartphone? Hm, when you think about it, there are some things that can irritate some users. How about the cheap-feeling plastic? You buy an expensive gadget and it suddenly feels like your 5 year-old son's toy-phone...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. lee480 (Posts: 149; Member since: 24 Sep 2012)
I prefer the Xperia Z or the HTC One. Sorry!
99. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Are you cool with the GS IV? My list is something as follows:
1. U.S. editions not getting the Exynos octacore love.
2. Call quality could be better.
3. I like the 5.5 inch screen of my Note II.
4. I like the S-pen of my Note II.
If I didn't have a Note II, I probably would bite the bullet and get a GS IV. But I do, so I won't. I will be getting a Note III, however.
115. abdane (Posts: 469; Member since: 07 Oct 2011)
i hate nothing about it, not being biased, bur seriously, what could i hate ? i mean plastic is perfect IMO, doesn't get broken unlike glass, and if it was aluminum it will probably won't have removable battery, the design is good, it is comfortable in the hands, i tried GS3 and iPhone 5, GS3 more comfortable ! TWX, i dont like it much, so ? there is third party launchers ( Nova, TSF, GO ) the GS4 will probably, actually it WILL be the best device in 2013 hands down, it will sell like hotcakes !
140. htc_prep (Posts: 303; Member since: 09 Oct 2009)
my only knock is lack of native wireless charging... everything else i cant say i hate because i havent held it. nor used it.
145. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 595; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
"not being biased" yet your profile pic is of a Galaxy S4 and you say it is perfect?
I hate the plastic in the SIII and from what i have seen the SIV is very similiar, the reason why i hate it is because it is too slippery when in hand and it doesn't feel very solid on the hand. (probably because of the removable battery back cover?)
211. ferhv (Posts: 1; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
I also hate the hyperglazed finish on the S3 back cover, it's so easy to get scratched and the paint do crack (mine has two spider shaped cracks from when it has fallen to the floor) i'd rather the plastic finish on the s2. why would i anyone want delicate plastic instead of other delicate but more premium materials?
160. Jeradiah3 (Posts: 925; Member since: 11 Feb 2010)
The GS4 is a nice phone, but not enough to make me regret upgrading to the GS3 4 months ago! I'll wait on the Note III or a price reduction on the Note II
270. atsamman (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Its a very cool phone
But I would love to have a bit smaller phone with the same internals and a bit better design
130. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
no its not okay, no pure android no deal......I would spend 1000$ for sgs4 as Nexus! Instead of that I have to survive with galaxy nexus :-(
163. anywherehome (Posts: 971; Member since: 13 Dec 2011)
Cm10.1? I've tried:
Problems with camera etc
And cm team hates sgs4, dude!
173. CanYouSeeTheLight (Posts: 595; Member since: 05 Jul 2012)
No they don't hate the phone, they hate Exynos because Samsung refuses to give proper support for their SOCs to developers. Also they said they are considering supporting the Snapdragon version of the S4.
181. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5155; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
"And cm team hates sgs4, dude!"
That would be a concern. If you root, you are depending on developers who may not have the commitment/motivation to support the handset going forward.
190. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
Atleast the s4 can be rooted. Want to root an HTC one? Well you can't, the bootloader is locked.
226. Luisit0 (Posts: 73; Member since: 18 Feb 2013)
thats called not being up to date... its already unlockable and there are even roms and mods already out! ur such a hater, bro
224. MobileNico (Posts: 31; Member since: 26 Aug 2012)
AOKP perhaps? everything works and it's pretty damn stable. Battery is also considerably better than CM10.1 was for me.
I love the hardware on this device, but I prefer stock Android.
187. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 334; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
Here's my list of displikes:-
1. If I can switch between Pure Android and Facebook Home on HTC First. Why can't i choose to disable Touchwiz on SGS4?
2. 13 MP camera is good. But they should also include a oversampling mode that reduces noise and decreases Megapixels for online sharing.
3. A button to disable the navigation buttons so that I don't accidently press them while playing games.
191. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
#3 there are ways to disable them when you don't want them.
#2 It can shoot in lower than 13mp, just because its 13mp doesn't mean it can't shoot lower res.
#1You can get a new launcher or root your phone and run stock android.
212. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 334; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
I don't think I am comfortable with rooting my phone. And other launchers aren't smooth enough for my taste.
290. chocolaking (Posts: 421; Member since: 22 May 2012)
might as well just get a different phone..
213. AppleHateBoy (Posts: 334; Member since: 29 Feb 2012)
4. Lack of OIS: I want OIS. There must be thousands of users like me who don't have 100% steady hands. And even the slightest amount of shake ends up slightly blurring photos which annoys me. So a OIS is a must for me. If HTC was able to do it. Why not samsung?
I am OK with plastic. As long as the phone doesn't break when it falls.
287. jsdechavez (Posts: 652; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Nokia patented oversampling tech I guess.
20. Kurai (unregistered)
i want xperia z's design, samsung's internals, and htc's UI . . . i would call it the Xperia Galaxy One . . . that would be awesoooome!!! . . .
195. jcpwn2004 (Posts: 314; Member since: 18 Jan 2012)
I agree except samsung's screen as well.
225. thelukewarm (Posts: 18; Member since: 18 Dec 2012)
if those three brands make a smartphone together, iphone would stop existing.....
252. cezarepc (Posts: 439; Member since: 23 Nov 2012)
You forgot to include a Nokia Pureview camera.
288. jsdechavez (Posts: 652; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
Thumbsdown? Geez, those people are blind or sourgraping. That superphone deserves the 41MP Pureview camera.
298. Kurai (unregistered)
i don't want my phone to have a huge hump . . no way
28. Synack (Posts: 634; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
1. Too much plastic
2. Phone/screen too big - if it could retain the slim bezel but be 4.7", perfect
3. Remove the capacitive buttons. It's 2013!
4. Calm down a bit on the cartoony colors of Touchwiz.
5. Get rid of that terrible speaker on the back and innovate some sort of REAL speaker, take note from HTC One or iPhone.
6. The microphone sucks, take note from iPhone hardware AND software (noise level detection).
7. Shaky video, take note from Lumias.
8. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, put the charging port and headphone jack on the same side, the bottom preferably.
41. ZayZay (Posts: 547; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
1. Too much plastic? After playing with phone yesterday, that plastic did not have that "cheap" feel to it. It actually felt really well built. I don't know why so many people have issues with it being plastic as long as it feels good in the hand, because it felt real good.
2. Phone/Screen to big. Don't buy that phone then. These phones weren't meant to please everyones appetite for a baby hand sized screen.
4. Calm down a bit on the cartoony colors on Touchwiz. So you're saying the super amoled screen has to many colors for you? This is what makes the phone look great to most people. If you want a dull colorless bland OS, don't have touchwiz, root the phone to a stock android rom and make it as dull as you want. They obviously want the colors to pop out.
7. Shaky video: Sorry, played around with that one and it wasn't as bad as all of the videos I have seen on the interwebs. True, it was not as good as the lumias but it was not bad at all.
8. Put the charging port and headphone port on the same side??? You're kidding my right. Is that a big deal to people?
I understand that is your opinion, but it seems that you will never find your perfect phone from this description of what is wrong with a truly great phone.
172. Synack (Posts: 634; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
I'm not a huge fan of plastic in the first place, I had the GS1 and the GNex, while they were nice but they felt cheap.
Going from 4.99" to a more reasonable 4.7 wouldn't be hard and I'm sure most people would agree that it is more favorable.
I like the popping out of Touchwiz's colors, but it's just a tad much. I don't like bland colors either but I don't want to feel like I'm watching Cartoon Network when I pull out my $700 phone.
I'm not saying the videos are horribly shaky, I'm just saying that they could be better.
And yeah, charge port and headphone port on the same side is a huge deal. It's clean, it's logical, setting the phone down is easier, phone mounts look better and function better if they are on the same side too. I had this feature with my GNex and iPhone5 and can't stand any of my friends' phones that don't have the feature.
All in all, I will be getting the HTC One next Friday because it's coming out sooner than the GS4 and I can't wait to get rid of this tiny, software drained phone.
197. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
4.7" is the perfect screen? Are you a stupid?
Htc one demenisions:
137.4 x 68.2 x 9.3 mm
136.6 x 69.8 x 7.9 mm
See that right there? Your "god" phone has a thicker width than the s4, Gtfo with your to big of screen bs. The HTC One is not a bad phone but the s4 (international) is more powerful and a much better choice. IDC about the software or who made it. The s4 is more powerful by enough to get it over the One. Also the GPU DESTROYS Adreno 320.
Also I prefer captive buttons to on screen. Know why? You can root the s4 and get on screen buttons and get both. You can't even root the HTC one. IF you don't like the capative buttons you can DISABLE THEM and use onscreen.
268. atsamman (Posts: 72; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Why are u so angry dude?
Chill out its not that biga deal
291. chocolaking (Posts: 421; Member since: 22 May 2012)
Dude, you need to calm down.
AMOLED is not a good technology for smart phone screen yet anyway. not displaying real colour is a major issues already.
Who cares about the 4.99" screen if it's not even good.
301. slavytodorov (Posts: 31; Member since: 23 Jun 2012)
In case u dont know, the HTC One ALSO has the Adreno 320 GPU and the new Butterfly S has the same 1.9 GHz Snapdragon 600 as the GS4 and scores much better than it! AND THE ONE IS NOT WIDER THAN THE S4 U JERK!!
210. maier9900 (Posts: 257; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
Because it costs more than a phone with premium materials like the iphone and htc. Thats why so many ppl have issues with it being plastic. Samsung should put a retail price of $299 on it. Then we wont have issues. When they start building galaxys with premium parts the price should go up. HTC has been using aluminum before the iphone started, then ZTE has started coming out with phones made of aluminum, not even Asus is using plastic. Come on... 2013 should've been the year of sgs4, but i guess not. Deal with it.
228. SGSatlantis (Posts: 205; Member since: 20 Jul 2011)
Where the hell is the GS4 more expensive than the iPhone 5?!
246. maier9900 (Posts: 257; Member since: 17 Dec 2011)
iphone 5 $549
Samsung s3 $599
and the galaxy s4 would proly be $599 same as s3. or more. So shuv it.
251. TMach (Posts: 305; Member since: 29 Dec 2011)
I've got news for you guys, the S4 is being quoted at £579/$888 retail price for the Sim Free version in the UK. This is pretty much £100 more expensive than the HTC One and the Xperia Z. Having had a crack on the S3, by the USB port, which is pretty common to the S3, I have a big issue with plastic and poor build quality, no customer service/care and over priced products! Prefer premium build and happy to live with "arguably" slightly poorer performance which in truth one would never notice in real time use. I choose HTC One and the Xperia Z. My money my choice!
91. dAnT3 (Posts: 8; Member since: 10 Apr 2013)
go get a nokia 1100 !! or go buy nokia LAME-IA
126. alila2 (Posts: 116; Member since: 01 Nov 2011)
i agree on all what Synack had mentioned , except for # 8 headphone jack is more practical to be on top, while i strongly agree on Synack # 2 & # 3, i would also like to see samsung going with more stock android and little TW on top or at least have the option to switch between both UI's. i also Hope that samsung stop this (play it safe strategy
159. Nephylim (Posts: 131; Member since: 04 Apr 2013)
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD !!!!!
you dont like anything !!! seems to have a life of boredom and hatred.
167. Synack (Posts: 634; Member since: 05 Jul 2011)
Hey I'm just answering what the article asked lol
198. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
I used an s4 in person. You can tweak the screen and get rid of the Amoled "pop colors" and make it look natural. I prefer the high saturated colors though, neutral/cold annoys me, warm and saturated all day.
240. KFear (Posts: 135; Member since: 06 Feb 2012)
I agree with most of this. The plastic however is there for manufacturing purposes and Samsung is big on removable back covers and SD cards. It's harder to make a device with a removable aluminum back cover. I'm sure that Samsung would like an aluminum back cover too...but that would just intrude with some of their smartphone philosophies. Battery and SD cards are huge for flashers and it may even reduce customer churn.
I held an HTC one the other day. Very nice design, but it is nice to have the lesser weight of a galaxy. I've held an S4 too and it feel A LOT more premium than the S3
273. shanzhao (Posts: 3; Member since: 04 May 2012)
2. Phone/screen too big - if it could retain the slim bezel but be 4.7", perfect
too big ? wtf the phone is slimmer than the gs3 and about the same size as the htc one while having a bigger screen, what's wrong with you ?
62. akki20892 (Posts: 2290; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
still love my N8, waiting for next sony high flagship with walkman and cybershot.....or htc one or Xperia z is good
87. poopApple (banned) (Posts: 38; Member since: 12 Apr 2013)
All i want is a nexus made by nokia.....damn dats not possible
169. akki20892 (Posts: 2290; Member since: 04 Feb 2013)
just hope about Nokia with andoird u r thinking too ahead men. dude i don't know why elop go with WP that time it was totally wrong decision, he should go with Android that time......still they can make WP and Android phone if they want....!!! Elop change your mind dude....!!!
178. Whateverman (Posts: 3157; Member since: 17 May 2009)
@ poopApple. *Gasp*... How dare you wish such a thing sir! Android on a Nokia?!? Android is too saturated, laggy, buggy, customizable, I hate widgets, versatility and functionality are pointless, check out my camera, it just works, fragmentation, I have more apps, its not boring its simple, watch how smooth this video is when I tape it to a toy car and drag it around my office, etc, etc...
Lol, sorry I just couldn't help myself. That was just my imitation of some people here when you mention Nokia making an Android device. We have a lot of BS we spout on the Android side too when we compare our devices to others too. But my point is we shouldn't get so angry when fellow techies share their opinions about THEIR dream device. Let us dream for a bit, that's how innovation is created, right?
206. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
a nexus nokia...........haha think thats just a dream but a good thought to have
bringing the pureview tech of the 808 and 920, stock android and the build quality nokia's known for
tbh id be happy with the above whatever os aslong as nokia step it up again in the camera department
101. Smart (Posts: 76; Member since: 20 Aug 2011)
Honestly I hate:
1.The dull design....was not a fan of S3's design either....I expected samsung to go back to S2 days...
2.Choice of material....its not the plastic I am against....why not build a plastic phone like HTC one X...that was plastic too. ....but not this glossy and looked premium.....
3.Nature UI is played out...expected something cooler....
4.This i have not tested personally...but what I have read from reviews the microphone is not great either....
122. amansingal14 (Posts: 272; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
i do agree.
If they had designed it like the Xperia Z, given a Sony UXP like experience, and internals and softwares by Samsung itself (like the camera adjustments, processor) and drivers by Sony (they got 22,000 out of a processor which gave LG 17,000 on FHD screen in antutu).
199. HDShatter (Posts: 1014; Member since: 17 Jan 2013)
The exynos 5 is made by Samsung and its much better than the snapdragon 600 in the HTC One/ other version of the s4.
227. yudi.nemesis (Posts: 1124; Member since: 14 Mar 2013)
Exynos just little bit better than S600
266. amansingal14 (Posts: 272; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
Do you even know what I am saying. I said processor made by Samsung and drivers by Sony...