What defines a 'high-end' phone/tablet
0. phoneArena 14 Sep 2012, 06:56 posted on
It looks like some users out there aren't really aware of the true meaning of "high-end". We're concerned about this, as voicing wrong opinions can easily mislead other people. We think that's not cool, and wanted to share our view on the matter...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
29. AppleConspiracy (Posts: 637; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Excellent article. I think that editors all around the world are begining to realize that, slowly but surely the conciousness of what actually makes an excellent product and high-end class is growing.
However, you will face with some pretty hard criticism, because masses are the ones who are always superficial. They will take over and reproduce only the trends. They now reproduce that idea that "advancement" and "inovation" equals only "new" and "bigger" - just like you criticized.
We'll have to wait till masses take over the opposite opinion again. Unfortunately, they won't deeply understand it either.
In every way, the Apple will be the winner, because everything is always rotating around it.
34. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4847; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
To me the term "high end" means TOP of the LINE specs & materials. For instance "high end" has to have cutting edge components.
1. A POWERFUL CPU & GPU. That to me can only be a Qualcomm quad-core S4 Pro with Adreno 320 & the quad-core Samsung Exynos 4 @ this VERY moment. Things change over night.
2. The very minimum 2GB of RAM.
3. A minimum of 720p HD screen @ 4.3" or above. 1080p looks to be coming. To me the screens on HTC's flagships are the best. So S-LCD 2, Super AMOLED HD non pentile, & LG's IPS displays are the world’s best.
4. A fresh & clean OS is mandatory. Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean is the most versatile, WP8 is a pleasant surprise & Apple's iOS is getting very dry but it's still to me the 3rd best option out there.
5. Fresh design, meaning "new" & different. To me the 3 year old looking iPhone 5 is a HUGE let down. Apple should be ashamed. Look at Nokia, HTC, Sony & Samsung for instance. They make some VERY high quality phones BUT they all look fresh & different. Part of getting a new "high end" phone is the look & feel of the device. You want to be surprised & taken with the NEW design. You don't want to be looking at the same thing for 3+ years in a row.
6. Materials. If it's plastic you want something high quality like what the Samsung Galaxy S III, Note II, HTC One X, Evo 4G LTE, HTC One S, the Sony Xperia line & the Nokia Lumia's use. Also glass is acceptable but just don't drop it. EVEN Gorilla Glass breaks. Just ask iPhone 4, 4S, & soon the 5 users. Metal is also very nice but it interferes with 3G, 4G, & Wi-Fi signals. It's widely known plastic phones get better reception than metals phones even if it's just a little bit.
7. Battery life. The Droid Razr MAXX showed us all that a HUGE battery can be put into a device & still have it look SEXY. This should be emulated more & more. A "high end" phone/tablet should last a FULL day & to me that means 14 hours of minimum battery life with HEAVY usage. So light usage should equate to 24+ hours. This can be done & will be accomplished with the newer "high end" devices.
I can keep going but I don't want to write a thesis. That is my opinion on the matter. To me the Samsung Galaxy Note II fits every aspect I just covered & to ME it's the phone that epitomizes "high end".
To each is own though. There are plenty of sexy & "high end" phones out there for EVERY walk of life.
46. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
This is how I see a High End phone should be like:
Screen size: 4.6 & above
Screen resolution : 720p
Screen Technology: IPS LCD True HD/ TFT HD LCD w/ MBE2 (just my preference not bashing the AMOLEDS)
Battery: 2500mAh & above
Processor: either S4 Pro or Exynos 4
Memory: 32gig (internal), 64gig (SD)
Design: Experia T like design or better
Camera: 13mp (sony) or 8.7mp (pureview/nokia)
Special feature: Water, Dust & Shock resistant.
-> Oh well I can only wish
51. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4847; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
I didn't mention the camera because I feel they are still a ways to go. Don't get me wrong a good camera is key but if I want to really take photos my digital camera is very portable & VERY potent.
I also omitted memory because microSD cards are very versatile now. I should have put microSD card slot though.
+1 for you.
58. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
True, as for me when I bough my phone the 8mp camera was a bonus, since it will save me from bringing a Digital camera. Although the image quality from a smarphone and a digital camera is still different.
110. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
a little geeky i must say but the truth is if im going drop 500 to 600 or 700 hundred dollars then you best believe it better have all the above mentioned.......dont wanna miss NOTHING!! period.......and thats why i feel apple is robbing people and they dont even care and dont even know.....is sad really when you think about it
36. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
"And as we said above, there is no use in extremely powerful hardware, if you can achieve the same, or even better performance with less powerful hardware."
But won't superior hardware enable you to do more? Oh nevermind. . .
44. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4847; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
With a quad-core phone & can plug with just a USB on the go a 500GB external Hard Drive & still surf the web. Also I can truly multitask & do so many things. YOU may not need a quad-core but I can really put it to great use. Also with a powerful phone you can do more that a less powerful phone can. I can keep going on & on.
It's just the way it's cracked up to be. Android can do stuff that Apple can't & WP8 can't. The multitasking prowess of Android is second to none in the mobile field. Android is the closest thing to a PC in the mobile game. The line is getting more & more blurred with it when it comes to that aspect.
48. XiphiasGladius (Posts: 813; Member since: 21 Aug 2011)
Agree with you, That was Ray's statement by theway. It truely baffles me why he said that. Any idea?
53. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4847; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Cool, my response was more to the quote not you. I don't know why he would say that. I guess he doesn't use his phone that way I guess.
39. whysoserious (Posts: 318; Member since: 20 Jul 2012)
I get a sense when I was reading your post that you wrote this with the purpose to defend the iPhone 5, and not to explain the true meaning of high-end device. No offense man, but if price is the basis of a high-end device, would you consider a luxury phone like the Lamborghini TL700 a high-end device?
A high-end device should be top-quality in all aspect, not just about the beauty of the OS or how steep the cost is.
52. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
Take That Android Fans!! hahaha Iphone still RULES!!!
160. Berzerk000 (Posts: 4275; Member since: 26 Jun 2011)
No, it doesn't really...
Android is as smooth, if not smoother than iOS now
Android has more funtionality and personalization
Even the mid-ranges Android phones have better specs than the new iPhone, even more so with the high-end ones.
70. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
The king of restrictions and Half-baked OS.
116. xtian1103 (Posts: 363; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
half baked os, oh you mean android which basically tells you ics/jellybean sucks and you need project butter/xda to run smoothly
142. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
half baked? let me remind you of HoneyComb.. ICS is half baked too.. dont pretend that Android is free of that because is worse..
143. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
mate seriously wheres your evidence that android is half baked and worse, there seems more prrof that android is ahead now and a much better OS
just accept it, your iOS is outdated and stale. nothing can stay the same and still be on top and fresh.
154. gallitoking (Posts: 4720; Member since: 17 May 2011)
if i show you the proofs that Android is half baked will you stop callimg me.. mate and stalking me?
175. chaoticrazor (Posts: 2347; Member since: 28 Aug 2012)
first off stalking you? get over yourself mate , this site is for everyone to comment and question. the fact that your comments are always biased and stupid just makes it easier
if you dont like been questioned and brought up on what you say dont comment its that simple ifan
but show the proof that android is half baked
63. voxmarc (Posts: 332; Member since: 22 Aug 2012)
Does it hurt Ray S?...your beloved iPhone Failed?are you one of these?
71. chocolatebear76 (Posts: 122; Member since: 03 Mar 2011)
Americans! enough said,LOL
72. djoscar4u (Posts: 59; Member since: 10 Sep 2012)
No wonder why My iPhone 4s is faster than my friends galaxy s3....
148. SleepingOz (unregistered)
Faster at what? Loading flash content on the net? Sending files to your friends over bluetooth?
75. abhijeit (Posts: 25; Member since: 07 Sep 2012)
Watt an unbiased lecture huh!!!! apple should employ this guy for free...