What are the worst gadgets you've ever owned?
That mismatch between manufacturer’s promises and/or the hype around devices on one hand, and the actual device on the other is the most infuriating one.
And if you happen to have only fully realized your mistake after the return period for such a device has passed, you are left with nothing to do but feel sorry. Not anymore - here is a place to pour all your gadget anger. Share it with us - what are the worst gadgets you have ever owned? Devices that were supposed the killer of you-know-what, but killed more of your nerves than anything else.
We could not resist the urge and have got 10 suggestions of our own. You may disagree. You may also re-order them. You may have only held them for a while (let us know you have not owned them, though!). In either case, let us know your thoughts in the comments below.
What are the worst gadgets you have ever owned? Fullscreen
More popular slideshows
10 great Android widgets you should try
09 Apr 2013, 08:08
Samsung Galaxy S4: 10 exclusive or little-known features review
05 Apr 2013, 07:17
Best Android phones to get this spring
17 Apr 2013, 09:48
5 smartphone apps banned by... Google
16 Apr 2013, 07:24
Samsung Galaxy S 4 hands-on
14 Mar 2013, 18:32
Google+ surpasses Twitter to take number 2 social network after Facebook
28 Jan 2013, 00:58
66. Synack posted on 22 Nov 2012, 09:28 3 5
Galaxy Tab 1 (7inch)
76. speed4evr posted on 22 Nov 2012, 10:01 3 0
I wasnt a fan of the BB Pearl, the BB Tour was only good as a backup phone(No WiFi :/ )
97. PAPINYC (limited) 4 days ago posted on 22 Nov 2012, 12:54 1 0
Okay, I'm almost in your boat, though, I'd have to give Woz props' since, the Thunderbolt was ThunderCrap so, he's not far from being totally wrong. Here's my list:
1. Treo 650 (which Verizon was going to send me as a replacement for a Thera 2032) but, I had enough intelligence to refuse shipment - on my account 0 days
2. Blackberry Storm 9530 (has got to top your Pearl and Tour for Blackberry Crap King) - on my account 4 days.
3. Thunderbolt (huge disappointment overall, this coming from an EVO fan) - on my account 2 weeks.
4. iPhone 4 16GB - on my 2nd line 1 month (long enough to get "lost" so that the insurance company could send me a 4S)
5. iPhone 4S 16GB - on my 2nd line 3 months (long enough to have Verizon carrier unlock it so that I could sell it to someone on Craigslist for hundreds of dollars)
6. DROID CHARGE - 3 long and gruelingly aching months.
7. HTC XV6700 - 5 months on my primary line until Verizon gave me a free upgrade to the XV6800
8. HTC XV6875 (Touch Pro II) - sent it back after one week
9. HTC XV6850 (Touch Pro) - thought it was crap from the beginning and refused to try.
10. Kyocera Echo - deserves to be here just for being such a bomb; they probably only sold two of them!
Galaxy Tab 7.0 wouldn't have been so bad if the phone's radio in the U.S. had not been disabled; I had the T-Mobile t849 for about a year.
144. IHateApple posted on 24 Nov 2012, 16:36 0 0
A Digital photo frame and the Iron Man Mark 5 armor.
118. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 22 Nov 2012, 20:47 1 0
i know right!! x7 is one sexy phone!!! but need a little more modification... really hate the non-user replacable battery!
146. metalpoet (unregistered) posted on 24 Nov 2012, 18:35 0 0
LG Chocolate(4 in 1 year 10 months)
DROID 2(30 days before battery completely stopped working)
DROID X(2 in 6 months)
DROID 3(3 in 11 months)
LG Envy 2(5 in 1 year 4 months before they gave me a LG Dare for free when the phone had only been out one month :) )
3. RaKithAPeiRiZ posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:09 1 16
Sony Ericsson xperia arc...still use it as a backup phone
120. Raymond_htc posted on 22 Nov 2012, 21:14 3 0
If u think that phone is s**t.. i have nothing much to say already....
6. thelegend6657 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:11 9 2
Nokia N97 (Overpriced junk flagship by nokia )
LG Viewty ( Only the Camera is decent , everything else is terrible )
Samsung Corby 2 ( My father got it for free , so he gave it to me , seriously for a little tiny bit more one can upgrade to Xperia X8 or Galaxy Y . Laggy , touchscreen unresponsive and unaccurate , UI ugly , terrible screen and camera , little apps , screen that likes to unlock itself . If you want a feature phone at that price , nokia is still the king )
7. Shelbz posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:12 2 0
Nokia 6260, the idea was smart but the phone was horrible. Very low memory caused Symbian to constantly crash.
Honorable mention to the original HTC XDA and HTC Blue Angel, if the battery died all info was lost.
8. thelegend6657 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:14 3 2
Symbian needs a lot of ram . On my N97 and 5800 apps always force close and phone reboots by itself sometimes because of lack of ram .
13. Shelbz posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:21 1 3
Yep, you can throw almost every Symbian in there but I did like my 6620 and 6682, didn't get many FC's on it for the apps I ran back then.
17. thelegend6657 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:25 3 1
Usually stuff that force close are native apps like Nokia Maps or the Browser .
Its annoying using the GPS halfway someone calls then it FC . Or surfing website halfway stating memory is full while i only have the browser running then after 7 seconds the message appears the browser force close . Very very annoying
102. muhsen posted on 22 Nov 2012, 13:57 1 0
u can throw almost every symbian in there?!!! r u a troll or just some ignorant???????! one symbian device in this list doesn't make every symbian phone bad.
3650,6600,6630,6680,n70,n90,n93,n73,n91,n95,n8,808,c7 and lots of others were all great devices, made history and sold in 100s of millions. respect things when respect is due
131. kristo posted on 23 Nov 2012, 06:18 0 0
N8 is definately high up the list of Symbian fails, underpowered and frequently overheated and OS prone to regular lockups, I had mine replaced three times in as many months and then sold it on ebay, went back to my trusy N72 -- very poorly featured compared to any current model and with a very ordinary UI, but it's still going. Allegedly the N9 was many times better than the N8, but I gave it a miss when offered. would never buy a Symbian product again, and though Nokia has wisely switched to WP8, I don't think their hardware is anywhere near as solid is was in their 2000s peak.
134. thelegend6657 posted on 23 Nov 2012, 07:40 0 0
If you think thats bad , i will tell you the full story of my N97
Key lock slider broken
buggy software (Nokia only updated the phone once and its still buggy )
Music app that doesnt work ( i have to go to the file manager to listen to music )
If you use the flash light on a photo the photo is instantly ruin ! (Left half of it you will only see white )
Cheap plastic build quality
Terrible speaker sound quality and earpiece is a little soft . ( The cheaper 5800 sounds a lot better if watching video or listening music ! )
Overpriced , higher initial selling price than the N8
Camera lens cover that SCRATCHES the lens
Sometime when someone calls the phone just freeze , cant answer it , cant decline it , cant do s**t (5800 dont have this problem because nokia updates it regularly )
But N9 is meego device and meego is alot better than symbian . Smooth , beautiful and fast
9. roscuthiii posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:15 6 2
Are we talking just gadgets that didn't sell well, or bad gadgets? It seems PA is just looking at gadgets that didn't make a splash in the market but that doesn't necessarily mean they were bad gadgets.
Not sure if poster #1 is merely trolling or not... but yes, as a gadget the first iPhone (which is how I took the comment) was actually a pretty crappy gadget, however, it was aesthetically pleasing and well-marketed as an exclusive device which lead to a great sales blockbuster.
So, I ask again for the clarification, are we talking bad gadgets here, or just bad sellers?
33. bigbmc26 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:52 3 1
I'm thinking they need to clarify as well. Being that I'm typing this out on a BlackBerry PlayBook, it was no where near a horrible device, it just serves a different purpose. When launched, I agree the price was too high, but it was designed an accessory to a BlackBerry smartphone. Email, calendar, memos, etc, worked great over bridge.
IMO it was very innovative and forward thinking idea. The real problem was that, by the time RIM launched the PlayBook, they had a huge perception problem. People wanted to make to make fun of them. If everything wasn't done exactly like Apple, it was horrible.
10. RapidCat posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:19 1 2
blackberry 9220 and nokia x7.
install more than 5 games and i can fell the speed drop 50%
11. samsungcaptivateglide777 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:19 4 2
Nokia C6-00, worst mistake ever.
12. toiletcleaner posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:21 0 0
My Thunderbolt ( still got it for back up ) I don't know why i cant let it go.
14. bigbmc26 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:21 1 1
My 20GB ipod. The thing never worked properly. Problems with the battery charging, problems with syncing, etc. Glad I won it from work, I would have been pissed if I had spent my money on it.
16. mercorp posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:24 0 0
My Galaxy R.
The screen occasionally fails to react properly,and I have to lock/unlock several times.
I also sent it for service 3times!
want to rid it soon...for an s2.
19. cmeiner posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:26 0 0
Motorola Droid Bionic is by far the worst. I am still having problems with it after the latest OS update. I have gone through 5 of them now with problems ranging from power cycling to dropping data connection for no reason! My newest one seems to like to drain the battery 4 hours into the day.
20. mydi.maus posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:29 1 4
sony e. arc
59. spiderpig2894 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 09:05 3 0
woah. The SE Arc was very capable and the N8 was the best camera phone and also had a capable OS (disregarding awesome Android features)
87. networkdood posted on 22 Nov 2012, 11:13 2 0
RAZR? Wow, your intelligence shined through on that post
89. bucky posted on 22 Nov 2012, 11:44 0 0
The razr was the laggiest phone I have ever used. My old iPhone 2g had a smother browser.
133. Azaghast27 posted on 23 Nov 2012, 07:33 0 0
Your comment is bad , and you should feel bad!!!
142. IHateApple posted on 24 Nov 2012, 16:33 0 0
I'd say the first iPhone was a huge fail as it had no 3G and it was basically a feature phone (I never used one though).
26. JonBjSig posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:44 0 0
The LG GT540 Optimus, the first Optimus phone.
3" 320x480 resistive single touch screen, 600Mhz processor (the only thing on this phone that doesn't suck d**k), Android 1.6 with an update to 2.1 which absolutely rapes the battery and it's impossible to go back to 1.6.
28. ilia1986 posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:47 2 1
Nokia 5800. Where do I begin? Resistive touch screen, almost no apps, abysmal amount of ram, slow processor, crappy camera, chunky design, UGLY.
That was supposed to be the iPhone killer back at the time when the world desperately needed one. The sad old time before Android.
31. lallolu posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:48 0 0
Why is there complaint on HP veer's 2.6" screen size when xperia mini has the same screen size and it is not here?
32. DylRicho posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:48 2 7
Any BlackBerry device (they are all terrible)
Original iPhone (my Samsung D500 could do things this "smartphone" couldn't...)
iPhone 4 (death grip issue; say no more)
iPhone 4S (no real improvements over the 4; lack of LTE)
iPhone 5 (stupid non-standard display resolution)
iPod touch 5th gen. (too similar to the iPhone; pointless)
Original Xbox 360 (65% failure rate? Come on, Microsoft...)
90. bucky posted on 22 Nov 2012, 11:45 1 1
Wow you think you would have learned after the first iPhone that they aren't good for you. Something tells me you owned none of them.
93. DylRicho posted on 22 Nov 2012, 12:21 0 0
Like I said to the other person, you don't need to own them if you work with them everyday.
91. andriantan posted on 22 Nov 2012, 12:12 0 1
I think u misunderstood the question. It is talking about device u had owned and u are saying that u all own these phones? Something tells me u owned none of them.
That's why I hate fagdroids always think that all gadgets and devices are trash except android devices.
92. DylRicho posted on 22 Nov 2012, 12:20 0 1
No, I understood the question perfectly. I simply chose to ignore it. And I'm not a "fagdroid," thank you very much. There are Android devices which have faults. You don't need to own the devices, if you work with them everyday.
36. orielwindow posted on 22 Nov 2012, 07:58 1 0
HTC Flyer. I paid $500 + $50 for that stylus back when it came out. St first it was quick and responsive. Less then a year later it can hardly open a Web page without freezing up.
40. REYNER posted on 22 Nov 2012, 08:04 0 0
i dont know but i had a motorola rockr and it performs well that time very distinct and multimedia centric phone i dont know why it got in the worst
41. shahulvm posted on 22 Nov 2012, 08:04 1 0
"The Echo launched exclusively on Sprint and the only good thing about it seems to be that it did not launch on other carriers."
LOL....had a good laugh at that...
43. neutralguy posted on 22 Nov 2012, 08:12 2 0
you sure about N-gage? It's an awesome gadget.
63. megabok (banned) posted on 22 Nov 2012, 09:21 0 2
Tell me about its awesomeness I beg of you...
Its supposed to be both gaming device and a mobile phone, sadly it fails on both.
46. drdaly posted on 22 Nov 2012, 08:19 3 3
Glaxy s3 the international version wasn't the very best choice after an iPhone4, i though that would be a good move but, S3 laggs not anything closer to smooth and ram always nearly full.
Finally i sold it with almost 3/4 the price after 2months thx to the 100$ price cut that samsung did worldwide those f**kers.
I got myself Note2 which is way better performer and much smoother but i cant find to much apps and games to play on that huge screen that i like, samsung please respect us and before u release a device adjust games and apps to work on it
75. JunitoNH posted on 22 Nov 2012, 09:58 1 1
I have to agree with you there. I returned that piece of crap to Amazon. I guess it was indeed made for humans, slow and lag. Purchased the SGNX instead, so far good.
143. IHateApple posted on 24 Nov 2012, 16:35 0 0
I think the Note 2 is faster because of jelly Bean.
48. Slammer posted on 22 Nov 2012, 08:22 0 0
Bell and Howell Voice Amplifier.
What a hyped up, piece of crap this thing is. I don't know how companies get away with this garbage.
52. darac posted on 22 Nov 2012, 08:35 1 0
I can't say any phone I had was bad.
After all they are all still functional, to my knowledge .. even my very first Kenwood from 2003.
The Sony Ericsson vivaz had a bad symbian interface that I couldn't see my self using really, but SPB shell fixed that to an enough degree,
58. theant posted on 22 Nov 2012, 08:54 1 0
I'm not sure if it counts as it was never seen as a "killer" device, but the Samsung Transform on sprint was the worst device I've ever had! It was a mid range android 2.1 slider. I know that might make it seem like I'm too critical, but it basically did nothing. Went through almost full year with it (bad choice), probably with 4 different replacements in that time. Its battery life was laughably bad, and it would freeze all the time. What's worse is that it had like over 600 1 star ratings on Sprint's website, yet for some reason they sold it forever and brought the name back in the Samsung Transform Ultra which you can still buy. Sorry, rant over.