Web Browser comparison: iPhone 5 vs Galaxy S III vs One X vs Lumia 900
0. phoneArena posted on 04 Oct 2012, 02:55
On tap for this web browsing comparison, we’ve got the Apple iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy S III, HTC One X, and the Nokia Lumia 900. Broadening the scope as usual, all three major platforms are well represented in this faceoff – giving us a good idea on how they all perform against one another...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
31. Danre posted on 04 Oct 2012, 07:57 26 6
Android is best platform for internet browsing.
43. abhishek48 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:10 0 8
I think these tests are bull shot as my lg thrill loads phonearena.com in 15 secs on wifi 12 mbps, yeahh so my lg thrill 4g is better than all phones
44. Raymond_htc posted on 04 Oct 2012, 09:36 0 4
bare in mind ur using 4G... Not 3G.......
46. abhishek48 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 10:36 1 2
Dont yoy read the article and comments properly, they are using wifi so am i they have not mentioned their widi speed mine is 12 mbps whicj is avg.. so all these tests are bulls**t
35. denied911 (banned) posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:32 10 1
test international SIII on JB, I have it for a week now (Poland ;)
58. tegradragon posted on 05 Oct 2012, 01:22 0 0
Or you can visit Kolkata or Bangalore. They've got Airtel LTE there.
2. VJo003 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 03:10 4 0
Nokia's performance is a share...
Was really hoping it would be a 3 horse race.
With all the news of nexus phones in the air...
I Suspect these numbers will become obsolete very fast.
49. nnaatthhaannx2 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 15:07 2 1
Windosws phone 8 should refresh the competition. Looks like IE really has no chance against other browers.
JOHN V: how fast is your internet connection?
You mentioned that you were on WiFi... but exactly how fast is your Wifi?
I think this is really a KEY THING to include in a test like this... don't you?
3. luckysrinu posted on 04 Oct 2012, 03:14 45 5
Looks like phonearena.com is optimised for iphone5
11. kitpogi posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:03 14 2
PhoneArena! is FOR iPhone any day...no doubt, always have been...
28. PAPINYC (limited) 5 days ago posted on 04 Oct 2012, 07:49 3 1
More like iPhone is optimized not to load those silly & stupidly annoying "flash-embedded" commercial banners, also known as iAds, that bogg-down their website loading on any device, mobile or otherwise. PhoneArena should do the speed comparisons on Google's search page like everyone else.
4. infernal88 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 03:20 16 1
are u sure u did the browsermark test for the S3 with real S3 !!! ...cuz i get more than that on my stock S2 ...:/
10. hung2900 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 03:54 13 2
It's US variant with dual-core S4 SoC. Int version with quad-core Exynos will blow iPhone 5 away.
13. infernal88 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:29 9 0
oh totally forgot about the US variants ...:S my bad...still i think a Snapdragon S4 should do better than the old exynos 4210
19. Hemlocke posted on 04 Oct 2012, 05:36 1 14
Uh, no. The international does better, but still gets smoked. Let me repeat myself: With the exception of Geekbench, the iPhone 5 owns the SGS3 in ALL benchmarks, including the quad-core international version.
21. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 04 Oct 2012, 05:56 5 3
yea but the quadcore international galaxy isnt a quadcore S4 pro........so try saying that with a phone like the optimus g which does have an quad S4 pro
22. AliNSiddiqui posted on 04 Oct 2012, 06:04 3 1
24. Hemlocke posted on 04 Oct 2012, 06:17 2 6
Like I said, Geekbench is the only benchmark the SGS3 manages to slide by in, and it gets destroyed by the 5 in ALL other benchmarks.
30. whysoserious posted on 04 Oct 2012, 07:51 7 0
Well, how could you rely on these benchmarks if they're inconsistent to begin with?
47. jironda posted on 04 Oct 2012, 13:28 1 1
Remember...benchmarks are worthless if real life performance is not like benchmarks.
Sorry but, on web surfing, GS3 wins, period, the above results speak for themselves.
Other story is gaming, where I'm sure iPhone's more powerful gpu will make a huge difference.
And just in case, you should notice that for some reason they didn't measured the Optimus G on all the benchmarks, which is the most powerful android phone to date I think. On Egypt HD at 1280x720 is almost as fast as iPhone at 1136x640. Anyway, both crush de GS3 on this department.
But then again, the scope of the article is web browsing, not gaming, and the S3 wins at that, even when the browsermark and sunspider benchmarks favor the iPhone. Reality beats artificial tests.
26. infernal88 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 07:33 1 0
well i didnt say that the iphone score is wrong just that in browsermark a 103 000 for S3 is way off "atleast fo I9300" .had one to toy with for a while and in 4 tries it was between 140 000-180 000
i get around 110 000 in my S2 "i9100"
52. jlbrazil posted on 04 Oct 2012, 18:19 0 0
It's incredible how people can't accept how the iPhone 5 is faster than the S III. They pretend that the S3 is faster (Because in they're mind, an iPhone can NEVER be faster than the sacred S3), and when someone says the truth they give lots of thumbs down.
53. ae4ever posted on 04 Oct 2012, 21:06 0 0
WOW!! a 4 month old phone gets beat by a brand new phone!! No way!!
5. tiara6918 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 03:20 4 0
It would be a better web browser comparison if the devices were the new flagships-one x+,lumia 920(which aren't out yet) and note 2. But anyways,all these four devices performed well...
6. darkskoliro posted on 04 Oct 2012, 03:21 1 0
HTC phones have a tendency to take forever to load web pages, although they visually seem to be perfect already. Anyone know why??
27. -box- posted on 04 Oct 2012, 07:46 0 0
Considering it is the only single-core phone of the bunch, and doesn't have WiFi enhancements like the ip5 (or new Kindles, for that matter), I think it held its own pretty well. It's also $50-150 cheaper on contract that the basic variants of the other phones.
Looking forward to Lumia 920 v GS4 (or Note2) v HTC One X(whatever the new one announced earlier this week was) v LG Optimus G v iph v ATIV S v WP8X. Battle Royale!
36. denied911 (banned) posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:40 0 0
sensation xl with cpu from l900 is faster
internet explorer simply sucks on pc and mobile
on my 1 year i5 laptop i have results in IE worse than Gnote!!!
firefox opera or chrome are easy 4 times faster
9. ilia1986 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 03:53 10 1
GS3 in the lead, as always.
The next big thing has been here already for 4.5 months!! :D
12. SemperFiV12 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:11 1 0
As PA reported, I will be using the Nokia Xpress browser when I purchase my Nokia Lumia 920... And other times I will use the NEXT VERSION of Internet Explorer coming with WP8.
I have been extremely happy so far with my HTC Trophy's IE performance. Leaps and bounds better than my Droid Incredible's browser performance (yes I know it is an older model phone... The Lumia 900 is also relatively older to this test... and the 920 should just about be better than anything I've ever had, as well as on par with the best on the market).
29. -box- posted on 04 Oct 2012, 07:50 0 0
I tried the Xpress browser last night, and while it is crazy-fast, it also isn't high-resolution, so it's good for text, but not photos (granted, it is still in beta).
That said, IE on my 900 is the most satisfying browser I have yet used. Not the fastest, but most satisfactory. Never crashes (though Facebook in its infinite wisdom sure seems determined to try with their stupid special coding), very quick, and the address bar on the bottom is very comfortable, no reaching to the top of the screen to surf elsewhere.
Using it right now to post this, in fact.
37. denied911 (banned) posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:42 1 1
Opera Mini FTW
ops i forget that it isn't available on wp ;D
14. phil2n posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:31 1 0
i thought if you are the latest you are the fastest.
whats going on apple?
15. psysect posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:33 1 0
onex + will have the best Web Browser..its even more powerful then iphone 5.
16. rizevnarastek posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:34 1 2
@ Phonearena: What versions of the of the handsets did you use and what version of software was on those handsets? Just saying, because my brothers One X (global) opens up everything faster then my friends SGS3
17. adk199 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:36 0 0
I had a brief encounter with the iPhone5 yesterday and tested the usual sites like engadget (desktop version). It seemed quite good but when i tried to scroll to the bottom of a site it only flew a few chapters down at a time and it actually took some time to get to the bottom of a page compared to my GNex (JB) and SG3 (ICS) that just fly down immediately. I wonder if somebody can tell if this can be changed somehow in the settings because it was a bit annoying. Otherwise very solid browser on the new iPhone5. Instant pinch to zoom and razor sharp text :-)
55. tha.fox posted on 04 Oct 2012, 22:28 0 0
thats the #1 thing i hate most on the iphone u have to scroll like 5 times to get to the bottom of pages. You the first person to ever notice that other than me I feel lol
18. Miley_3d posted on 04 Oct 2012, 04:56 0 3
Everybody says everythings about these phones.
But i LOVE Nokia Lumia 920, Because PureView with 920 is Beautiful for me.
Next Subject is Windows Phone 8 is Lovely, too
20. bloodline posted on 04 Oct 2012, 05:49 6 0
what about the s3 with jelly bean.... come at us iphone 5
23. protozeloz posted on 04 Oct 2012, 06:12 3 0
John V! :D I know you are a diligent guy, you think you could compare Browser Next Time with 4.1 (Either S3 or Note 2) and Windows 8 Browser? Also a test with chrome would be nice and it may come pre-installed in a near future on new devices. Thank you! and nice comparison
25. E34V8 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 06:20 0 0
S3 BrowserMark score is 161710, not 103,091 . Look at the anandtech tests -http://www.anandtech.com/show/
32. Mobile-X-Pert posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:19 0 0
The Lumia 900 is the only single-core phone that can hardly stand up against these beasts.
41. denied911 (banned) posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:47 0 1
funny, xperia tipo with cpu from L610 can beat L900
33. true1984 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 08:28 2 0
"In terms of details and clarity, the iPhone 5 undoubtedly has the edge there with its highest pixel density amongst the bunch " Wait, compared to the one x thats only 14 pixels. Are people really going to notice that?
48. ChiX017 posted on 04 Oct 2012, 13:43 0 1
Please as a registered user of this beautiful site; I request the comparison be re-done with a Lumia 920 or something with IE10 on it. We do not want another unfair comparison like the iPhone 5 vs Lumia 900
50. US_Eminem posted on 04 Oct 2012, 15:17 3 0
Comparing old wp7.5 and old ICS with new ios6........very clever PA
51. bucky posted on 04 Oct 2012, 15:36 0 0
How long do you think they would have to wait for those handsets to get JB?? Lol
56. tha.fox posted on 04 Oct 2012, 22:32 0 0
If someone fails to get a JB update and its a big deal to them they obviously picked the wrong phone! Anyone who cares enough about these updating to new operating systems would most likely buy a flagship phone. fragmentation affects only those who buy low end androids. Apple has almost no fragmentation because they keep giving ppl the same phone in disguise.
54. rusticguy posted on 04 Oct 2012, 22:20 0 0
Have done a lot of benchmarks on Apache/LSWS server using those 1kb (or maybe even less like "Hello World") files. Found that these benchmarks are useless in practical realtime usage scenario.
59. gaurav231089 posted on 05 Oct 2012, 07:01 0 0
Comparison has some error...My Omnia W loads full phone arena in 27 seconds test rite now and Imdb in 15 seconds full website
60. pikapowerize (banned) posted on 06 Oct 2012, 01:36 0 0
i feel pity on lumia 900!! hope nokia could make the new "xpress for lumia" a good browser and alternative for IE!
61. ikkuh posted on 06 Oct 2012, 06:35 0 0
hehehe thanks to phone arena the iPhone can keep up with the SGS3.
Without phonearena.com the SGS3 is twice at fast:
iPhone 23 seconds
SGS3 10.9 seconds
How strange isn't it? :)