Waterproof Sony Xperia acro S poised to make a "splash in HD" with 12MP camera and 720p display
0. phoneArena 30 May 2012, 04:47 posted on
Besides the top shelf specs the Xperia acro S' main virtues are, of course, the IP55 and IP57 ratings for dust and water resistance, meaning you can dip it in up to three feet of water for up to 30 minutes or play frisbee on the beach with it without worrying that sand and liquid will damage the internals...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GeekMovement (Posts: 1898; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
Go Sony! Awesome device, so glad to see water/dirt resistant high end. Looks great too.
2. CharlieAtInfinity (Posts: 253; Member since: 10 Apr 2012)
Now this is what i have been waiting for since the release of active!! :D Well done Sony :) Now Gotta save some money for this :D
3. adi4u4882 (Posts: 135; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Nice to see Sony getting back into business. But they have to give support for SD Card if they want to see increase in their share.
14. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
it has an SD card slot - hot swappable, at that!
22. adi4u4882 (Posts: 135; Member since: 10 Jan 2012)
Actually i was telling generally about Sony Phones :)
4. iphoneisthebest79 (Posts: 70; Member since: 23 May 2012)
for me, i'm an Iphone user, but my second best phone is Sony. i like thier designs and its a powerful phone also. Go a head Sony
31. sadaivadai (Posts: 156; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
The problem i not with the first line .. The username is the problem ..
32. iphoneisthebest79 (Posts: 70; Member since: 23 May 2012)
U can hit your head to the wall beside if you don't like the user name
8. surethom (Posts: 392; Member since: 04 Mar 2009)
4.3" nice not a silly massive 4.6" or 4.8" screen.
16. SleepingOz (unregistered)
How is larger screen silly? Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean it silly. There's a lot of people out there who prefer wider screens.
30. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
And there alot of people who prefer 4'3 inches. Thus, making your comment both stupid and silly
6. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
sounds like a real winner. now they just need to get it in more carriers.
24. Commentator (Posts: 2792; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
It's only a winner if it uses an up-to-date processor and not an S3 like in the Xperia S. If it had an S4 and came to the US I'd seriously consider it. Sony makes some cool looking phones and UIs.
7. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
This is just an xperia s in another chassis - too bad they didn't released this instead of S in the first place- it's almost a centimeter shorter, and has a bigger battery.
Sony buying some time with this, before the international xperia GX arrival
15. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
yes, but there are so few "high end" handsets that are military spec in america, they would basically have the slot all to themselves. They need to have it be pentaband so they can sell it on Tmo/ATT and make a sprint/vzw version and saturate the market. It wont be an SGS3 killer, but it will sell quite a bit.
9. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
Well this is a big FU to xperia S owners. its the bionic/razr/razr maxx all over again!
21. poddey (Posts: 77; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
It's great that Sony saw the light to release the Acro HD internationally to bring a dust proof and water resistant high end smartphone to the worldwide market.
I think this bodes well for an international release of the currently Japan only GX. However I am also wondering how Xperia S owners would feel, especially those that bought it thinking it was Sony international Acro HD model. Sony has a good track record of customer support for their 2011 Xperia handsets but they seem to be flooding the market this year so it will be interesting to see how this plays out when Android 5.0 rolls around.
10. RamyRamz69 (Posts: 390; Member since: 12 Dec 2011)
S4pro, HD Bravia Reality Screen, 1900 MAH battery, microSD,Playstation certified, Ice Cream Sandwich, sexy design, water, dust and scratch proof?
Damn, I am sold.
11. kshell1 (Posts: 1143; Member since: 05 Oct 2011)
I don't see where you got that its a S4 pro. Its just a slight upgrade from the Xperia S. If you want a xperia with a S4 (yet not S4 pro) wait a few months for the GX to release.
13. darac (Posts: 2156; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
i just wanted to say that.
this has the same internals as the xperia s..
but otherwise it blows it out of the water - more compact, better battery, SD slot, water&dust proof, ICS - it's an awesome piece of kit.
had xperia s looked like this, it would've been a major hit
20. poddey (Posts: 77; Member since: 22 Mar 2012)
I've just done a comparison on gsmarena between the Acro S and the S and something must not be right...
The Acro is only marginally shorter than the S but is also slightly wider and thicker. The extra thickness is probably due to the larger battery but gsmarena stats has the S having bettery battery life with longer standby, talk time and music play.
25. Commentator (Posts: 2792; Member since: 16 Aug 2011)
I miss the clear LED band at the bottom, it's what made the latest Xperia design so awesome looking.
18. JC557 (Posts: 1228; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Now this is what I was looking for: professional lookin, weather resistant, good screen, good battery capacity and can be used with when wet without the screen acting odd ( from what it sounds like).
I won't mind paying for an unlocked GSM/ HSPA version but would rather see it on Verizon with LTE (with GSM) capability.
19. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
WHY SONY WHY launch this beauty/waterproof phone only in Japan. would be awesome if it release here in the states. I wouldn't need INSURANCE for this phone since it's waterproof
23. Jyakotu (Posts: 824; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
I don't care what anybody says, I think Sony has a strong chance to come back into the mobile market. The only downfall of their success in America is that most of the carriers here use CDMA instead of GSM. Granted, the Xperia PLAY did make it to Verizon, but AT&T's version got HSPA+ and the beautiful UI. *sighs* Sucks to be on Sprint. :\
26. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 7005; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
THAT DOES IT I'M MOVING TO JAPAN just to buy this stylish sexy rugby phone. SAMSUNG u guys should take notes how to design rugby phones. water proof is awesome. anyone knows how deep it goes
27. therooober (Posts: 3; Member since: 27 Apr 2012)
That's why Sony is one of the best company's in the Tech World, thank God they got rid of Ericsson, and now are salvaging their almost sinking ship. I just hope that the GX will incorporate the same waterproof technology that is going to be available for the Xperia Acro S. I cannot wait for the GX to arrive because I am eagerly waiting for it. I just hope that it will be able to compete with The Galaxy SIII and The new iPhone, so that when i buy it i won't lose face XD lool, but in someway i am confident that Sony will make a splashy year with lots of great products as always, I just wish they have more coverage from the media like Apple does :). Anyway, cannot wait for the Xperia GX or whatever they decide to call it.
28. guildsa654 (Posts: 27; Member since: 12 Apr 2012)
the design looks like Lumia 800/900 in front view o_O nevertheless, great job sony!! :)
33. ice9web (Posts: 3; Member since: 09 Feb 2013)
yeah its has certification that it is indeed waterproof and dust proof, and the camera is perfect, and it has so many features...
i bought Xperia Acro S last december 22, 2012 and in less than a month of usage it just won't Power ON :( after the 100% charge. see here for details