Watch as the Nokia Lumia 1020 parachutes into Dubai
0. phoneArena 05 Oct 2013, 04:12 posted on
In less than three weeks, Nokia World will be taking place in Abu Dhabi; during the event we expect to see the Finnish based manufacturer introduce six new devices including the Nokia Lumia 1520 phablet and the Nokia Lumia 2520 tablet. In the United Arab Emirates, near Abu Dhabi, is Dubai where a Nokia Lumia 1020 descended into the country thanks to a skydiving team that carries the top-shelf Windows Phone 8 model in a bag...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. saffant (Posts: 236; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
WOW Do I miss Dubai or what (lived there for 15 years)!
Video quality is sublime too!
11. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Im living in dubai
In dubai there is no value of nokia lumia
Iphones and the galaxy are the king here
Nobody here buys htc motorola lg and many android phones
Blackberry is quite valuable too
13. saffant (Posts: 236; Member since: 04 Jul 2011)
Yea I know. My dad still lives there. Great place, but not a great place to settle unfortunately. I'm In Canada now.
Anyway, yea the BB market is still big there, and so is the craze for Samsung devices. Saw most of the ppl rocking an S3 when I went there last summer.
25. amats69 (Posts: 1217; Member since: 12 Nov 2012)
"Nobody here buys htc motorola lg and many android phones"
can you proved it that "NOBODY" buys htc motorola and lg in dubai? as in nobody?wanna bet?
27. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 812; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
I think he just means most of people dont buy anything beside BB, samsung and iphones.. Dont hung on one word
51. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Agreed on you MobileKicker. My couzin is working there. And she mentioned that Most Nokia stores there got closed. And MOST People around there prepares and crazy for Samsung, Sony and iPhones. Even here in New Jersey. Its a battle of Samsung and iPhones. Well I can see couple of people too Using HTC and LG phones.
2. celticrain (Posts: 7; Member since: 25 Aug 2013)
Well currently i don't use any new nokia as my primary ph is note 2 and secondary nokia e6 and old one nokia e61i.But man whenever i seen a nokia topic don't know why it feels like something family this is how i love this brand. Hope nokia ll be keep continue there business as an individual company.
3. Rongocook (Posts: 76; Member since: 20 Sep 2013)
Big fan of nokia since i started my interest in phones! Till now.
44. Dastrix (unregistered)
Did you guys notice how the bird's chirp is actually a Nokia message tone?! That was brilliant!
4. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
Nokia is dying now. The only true innovative firm is Apple.
7. nexusdude (Posts: 151; Member since: 22 Aug 2013)
Member for 6 hours and already hating. Bravo!
9. Lampriya (banned) (Posts: 245; Member since: 05 Oct 2013)
I don't hate nokia, but i just said the truth. nokia was popular in 2005 only when they had nokia n95.
14. ady_lad (Posts: 77; Member since: 17 Jul 2013)
Apple 'inovating'...oh crap, we are doomed then...
15. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
'nokia was popular in 2005 only when they had nokia n95."
Nokia was popular even before N95, did you forget about 3310? Also there still is countries where Nokia still sells mainly devices.
"The only true innovative firm is Apple."
Could you explain it more widely or it was just a trolling statement?
16. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
Cow, apple is innovative
Android just copies it
23. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Yea try harder next time you Troll™ tell him PAU®
Go away you Troll™
18. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
How are they innovative...
Their Mp3 is so garbage that even Sony Mp3 has better sounds and digital sampling rates! It's a hype and fashion having Apple products!
Their phones were very cheaply built , where ever you see broken screens. Can't afford to repair them! They charge you £80 for back and front replacement, which cost them £3 to make what rip off!
The Mac range Laptop was totally a copycat of Sony Zseries laptop! I only see prestige, entarapanuers, mangers using Sony Z. Typical Macs used by average joes.
ITunes suck. Your much better of CD and Mp3 WMA which have the highest sampling at 367kb rate. Another rip brainwash by fruit!
You pay a high price for a limited feature phone. Giving you 1400mah battery, their they saved another£3-5 instead of giving you 2300+ Mah. What is wrong with you has Apple vined you in your blood.
You will only get what Apple gives you and you will hounerdly accept it, while Android we choice! GOD sake you are free you are a human, why should you be controlled by Apple!
19. shadez10 (Posts: 408; Member since: 15 Jan 2012)
"The only true innovative firm is Apple"
this statement gave me nightmares... o_O
26. amansingal14 (Posts: 302; Member since: 08 Sep 2012)
I don't even feel like replying to an Apple Controlled Freaking iHumans. You know, I would understand and say that you are entitled to your opinions even if you said 'Nokia is dying. However it has been a true innovator like Samsung, Sony, HTC and other Android Manufacturers', but now, I don't think you should be entitled to any opinion.
Nokia 1-upped all manufacturers with N8's camera and has been leading in the dept. since. Samsung has shown great innovation in the dept of ergonomics on a large screened phone, Sony has shown great innovation in passion and balance, and LG hasn't shown innovation, but have been inspired by others to craft a beauty.
What has Apple done post Steve Jobs? Refresh models with higher specs that tend to deviate usual users by using terms they don't even get (64bit)?
Actually copy Windows Phone, Android, Sailfish and Ubuntu to create a 'unique' OS (No, they were not inspired in this dept. as inspiration means taking ideas and improvising and not taking ideas and publishing)?
And trolling after just 6 hours of joining? You sir, are Wendy Garett, aren't you?
43. Dastrix (unregistered)
People don't really like Apple on PA...
45. Dastrix (unregistered)
Saying Nokia is dying is like saying M$ is dying. Not going to happen.
53. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Agreed, i like the iPhones More than Any Nokia Lagdows Phones. I mean, these Fandows here are just Delusional still stuck with Nokia where in Fact Nokia ugly windows phones are completely Boring and Full of Gimmicks. Lol. I would choose iPhones compare to any Nokia Flagship phones. I mean, iPhones has the Great Designs, awesome built, Smooth, Great Camera Quality and the PREMIUM FEEL Never Fades. Specially nowadays when you say nokia, jeez you still using there phones? Hahaha. R.I.P NOKIA!
58. microsoftnokiawin (Posts: 1063; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
another brain washed sigh
human being although i haven't purchased a WP yet
let us look at that statement
apple design almost has no changes for 4 years now
Nokia they don't do major changes but they change the design least to say and they have a wide variety in colours
2. you made me chuckle when you accused another Os/company of gimmicks with iphone in the same sentence!
3. awesome design great built (or awesome built ) which planet are you living on ???
4. great camera quality sony and nokia smash apple in camera quality
5. nokia will always be better than any iphone dead or alive
10. jedpatrickdatu (Posts: 160; Member since: 24 Jan 2013)
I wonder what's with Nokia's sudden fascination with Dubai? Perhaps it has something to do with their upcoming phones?
29. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 812; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Well lets be honest, lumia 1020 is amazingly expensive outside of contract, so if they focus on high end markets like Dubai they might sell few. I am just guessing though.
38. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Well lets be honest, lumia 1020 is amazingly expensive outside of contract..."
As far as I know, here in Europe, Nokia Lumia 1020 cost the +/- the same as any other flagship phones.
40. No_Nonsense (Posts: 826; Member since: 17 Aug 2012)
That depends on where you live, for ex: in India, the Note 3 and Lumia 1020 cost around INR 49k, the 925 around 28-30k, iPhone 5 from 42k and the S4 around 37k. So, the 1020 is quite expensive.
49. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"That depends on where you live..."
And that's why I have said:
"...here in Europe..."
Here is prices in my country:
HTC One (32GB) = 839 USD
Samsung Galaxy S4 (16GB) = 807 USD
Nokia Lumia 1020 = 906 USD
Sony Xperia Z1 = 941 USD
Samsung Note 3 = 961 USD
Apple iPhone 5C (16GB) = 902 USD
Apple iPhone 5 (32GB) =1083 USD
Apple iPhone 5S (16GB) = 1256 USD
(prices without any contracts)
12. harigrg33 (Posts: 174; Member since: 20 May 2013)
'The only true innovative firm is apple' this is the best joke I have heard today lol
20. Alex123 (Posts: 240; Member since: 17 Oct 2012)
Yeah, hahaha... so funny. What is the difference designs from Iphone 4 to Iphone 5S? Same same every time so boring.
30. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 812; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Dont you just think its a troll that likes having arguments. If you all keep replying to his silly statements you just prove the point of hate that exists in this comments on phonearena.
24. papss (unregistered)
Congrats you all hijacked another Nokia article with the same none Nokia statements.. F'ing fanboys
32. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 812; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
One troll comes saying the silly statement, all android sheeps start arguing no matter what the subject is. Its pointless when people are blind sheeps that will defend one brand like they wouldnt with their own families.
28. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2016; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
Lol always hating on nokia....SMH.. you fan boys, need to get a life..... and make the #Switch ..!.,
34. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 812; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Got my sis lumia 620(i have iPhone 5), to be honest I like the lumia more than she does. Great phone, great performance, overall ok ecosystem. Im pretty sure in a year from now WP8 will catch iOS at least, in terms of world smartphone market share.
31. MobileKicker (Posts: 212; Member since: 19 Sep 2013)
O come on PA
No more news article since 6 hours
33. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2016; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
AND OH YEA... EPIC VIDEO!! TRUE OIS camera, unlike that other garbage,thats out there... GO NOKIA #1
35. Martin_Cooper (Posts: 812; Member since: 30 Jul 2013)
Which comes with a price that it has a big bump making the phone look more like a skinny camera than a smartphone. Dont get me wrong, i love the 1020, but that phone isnt the one that can compete with S4, iphone 5S. Nokia needs a 4.5-5" smartphone thats really thin, small bezels, no bumps cause of big camera. One thing I noticed people hate about high end lumias is that they are too thick compared to the competition. Otherwise 1020 is targeting a very small number of audience. Maybe with upcoming 1080p lumias things will get much better.
36. CX3NT3_713 (Posts: 2016; Member since: 18 Apr 2011)
I agree......camera,,... nothing comes close ;-)
52. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Go and Keep buying those Junk Windows Boring Phones. In short, outdated phones. Lol it might help to bring up Nokia From their Grave.hahaha
39. digitalw (Posts: 59; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Lumia 1020... is simply great! Windows OS...is shlt if you didn't use it. For every day use and for non geeks, the OS is just perfect. My mom have Lumia 720, she is 68years and in one day she learned evryting. So simple is the WP8. Me...i still have N8. Untill L1020 comes to my country (Macedonia) or i wll takle it from Poland soooon :)
41. 7thspaceman (Posts: 1271; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
This will be Noika's last big Nokia world that shows Nokia Mobiles devices at least untill 2015 when
the deal with Microsoft allows them to return. If they do return no doubt the will like The other MS
OEM"S in that they will make Android and Windows smart phones the way i felt they should gone in the first place. do not get me wrong I own a Nokia Verizon Lumia 928 and it's a nice smart phone but i felt Nokia would have made more money selling at least 1 top of the line Android smart phone. Oh Well life gives you what it's got not what you want.
47. wrm2013 (Posts: 189; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
When will this phone or a variant with the 41 mp camera be available on tmo?
54. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Their 41MP camera is Just Gimmick. I think HTC ONE's 4 ULTRA PIXEL Camera Quality is way way better. Hahaha
57. wrm2013 (Posts: 189; Member since: 28 Mar 2013)
Im using the HTC one. It is no different than my gfs s4. Thanks for the answer though.
48. nctx77 (Posts: 845; Member since: 03 Sep 2013)
No one noticed the Samsung guy spying at the end LOL! This bastards are at it again.
50. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
Dude, Samsung Doesn't need to copy on your Beloved Nokia. Samsung has the most high end Technologies. While your Beloved Nokia, Lying on their Grave and their Market Shares Keeps dying. Lol
55. GoogleSafariFox (banned) (Posts: 100; Member since: 28 Sep 2013)
In my opinion, for Nokia to rise up again I think they should Choose Android as their O.S, not that Boring Limited Windows. I'm sure Android Can change their Lives.
56. mohammed2222 (Posts: 31; Member since: 07 Feb 2013)
finally , nokia lumia 1020 is coming to qatar , hopefully .