Watch Sony livestream its Xperia Z1 IFA 2013 press conference here
0. phoneArena 04 Sep 2013, 08:39 posted on
Sony is expected to finally unveil its Xperia Z1 aka Honami today, and the phone is expected to bring a lot of experimental thinking with two lenses…
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Sony Xperia Z1 should be really awesome device, but I don't like that (according to leaks) Sony Xperia Z1 is even bigger than Sony Xperia Z. Would be nice to see 5 inch display in more compact body. For example as Samsung did with Galaxy S4, Galaxy S4 has 5 inch display while Galaxy S3 has 4.8 inch display but Galaxy S4 still has a smaller body compared to Galaxy S3. :(
3. kobainez (Posts: 302; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
How could u make it compact like s4? S4 is not waterproof, has a smaller battery, has a smaller camera sensor. How could u expect Z1 to be compact like that?
8. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"S4 is not waterproof..."
Her is a tip for you, waterproof means that it should be hermetic and hermetic not necessary means that it should be bulky.
"...has a smaller battery..."
Talking about the battery Samsung Galaxy S4 has 2600 mAh battery while Sony Xperia Z has 2330 mAh battery and Samsung Galaxy S4 is still smaller than Sony Xperia Z.
"...has a smaller camera sensor."
1) I don't think that you know Samsung Galaxy S4 and Sony Xperia Z1 actual camera sensors dimensions so please don't make such statements like a: "...has a smaller camera sensor."
2) And even if Sony Xperia Z1 has bigger camera sensor, it mostly affects phone thickness not width or length, but Sony Xperia Z1 is longer and wider compared to Sony Xperia Z.
18. kobainez (Posts: 302; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Of course s4 is still smaller than z its not water resistance DUH!
43. jdoee100 (Posts: 326; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
If it's smaller and less bulky, then good for Sony. Problem is that S4 Active(water resistance) is a niche device. If Sony wishes to sell their device to more than small number of people, they need to make it even more compact(less bezel) and less bulky(edges are too sharp).
54. Obie-Wan (Posts: 38; Member since: 24 May 2012)
My bad,i didn't check it before.
Well, i think the Z1 is not a 'niche' device, i believe it would still be appealing for a wide type of consumer.
The superior camera, glass & metal build n design. It screams premium n luxury, something that its competitors havent got on their rugged devices.
Sure for some ppl it would be a 'deal breaker', but generaly the Z1 still had a lot of other aspec to be considered n desired.
I for one would take this anyday if i were to choose between L1020, S4 Zoom, G2 or the upcoming N5.
Sorry for my bad english :)
44. jdoee100 (Posts: 326; Member since: 04 Jun 2013)
"And Its Bigger n Bulkier than the Z1," is wrong.
Z1 144.4 x 73.9 x 8.5mm
S4 Active 139.7 x 71.3 x 9.1 mm
50. xtian1103 (Posts: 361; Member since: 11 Feb 2012)
s4 active is a rushed answer to xperia z. ask at&t customer service.
53. McLTE (Posts: 714; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
Right.. because provider customer service ALWAYS knows what's going on.. /sarcasm
5. Kurai (unregistered)
sony can make a phone with tiny bezels. for example the xperia zl which is not water proof like your samsung. .
10. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"...like your samsung."
Why my Smasung? I even don't use Samsung smartphone.
Her is a tip for you, waterproof means that it should be hermetic and hermetic not necessary means that it should be bulky. ;)
48. GTR722 (Posts: 241; Member since: 20 Oct 2012)
Because you are a Samsung Fanboys and its obvious
49. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Seems that you are new in PhoneArena.com if you say so.
11. jb4674 (Posts: 141; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
Why do people always have to bitch about something?
12. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
Maybe because there is something to bitch about?
46. Mr.Mr.Upgrade (Posts: 425; Member since: 30 Aug 2011)
Evreytime he said a feature he waited for a clap.......none...says a lot....did they offer it on all major carriers?
2. itsdeepak4u2000 (Posts: 3101; Member since: 03 Nov 2012)
Xperia Z1 with swimsuit models + 20-megapixel camera with high-quality Sony G lens = Sony FTW :)
28. rihel_95 (Posts: 246; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
Live streaming(6 mins to go) ->http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
39. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
It is only retranslation, here is the official link:
29. juandante (Posts: 446; Member since: 23 Apr 2013)
Yes but without Xenon flash which is the least for a camera centric phone. I am impatient to see the first shots with this camera in night and moving subjects (like in a party)...
This will be a critical point for me or I will stick to my current phone because I have a DSLR so no need to have the best daylight phone in market and my current phone takes also, already decent picks in daylight.
4. Switch00 (Posts: 36; Member since: 04 Sep 2013)
with Nokia gone, apple being boring, ... if Z1 fails, I'm going for SIII on sale.
6. zachattack (Posts: 599; Member since: 31 Jul 2013)
this > samsungs lame announcement of a terrible watch and boring reiteration of the Note. Although we do realize this is a G2 with maybe a less better screen and on par camera with a slightly nicer UI right? I don't think the UI is enough to make me ignore the G2 sorry Sony.
7. taz89 (Posts: 2014; Member since: 03 May 2011)
Waiting for this to start too help kill the time for the note 3 event lol...interesting to see the z1 and hopefully the mini too.
9. papss (unregistered)
Main point for me is price.. Sony has a history of over charging but we shall see.. I'm pretty excited to see if they are just blowing smoke with the z1 camera or if its really that good. I can't imagine it besting the 1020 on the camera department but if they pull it off then I may jump.. God I hate android OS so it really would have to be astounding.
14. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
"Sony has a history of over charging but we shall see..."
I agree with you Sony like to put high price on theyr electronics, but talking about the smartphones in most part of Europe, Sony's flagship smartphones has similar price to the other manufacturers flagships such like a Smasung, HTC, LG or Nokia. Of course apart Apple.
13. jb4674 (Posts: 141; Member since: 05 Apr 2013)
If Sony announces AT&T exclusivity in the US, the iPhone and the Galaxy whatever will suffer greatly in sales and popularity.
42. PapaSmurf (Posts: 9093; Member since: 14 May 2012)
1 carrier vs. 4.
Where's the logic behind that again?
19. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
The event almost lags as much as Sony handsets.
27. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Node was not Found
The core node you are trying to access was not found, it may have been deleted. Please refresh your original page and try the operation again.
34. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Music is broken, let's restart the Walkman app.
37. jackwins (Posts: 17; Member since: 07 Oct 2010)
I would post the livestream URL but the forum wont let me (< 30 posts)
38. PhoneArenaUser (Posts: 5498; Member since: 05 Aug 2011)
40. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Booooooooooooooooooooooooring. Wher da Honami?
41. _Bone_ (Posts: 2142; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
Remember that cringe-worthy unpacked event of Sammy? This event makes me missing that. Damn.
45. nothingmuch (Posts: 183; Member since: 03 May 2013)
Im sorry, I fell asleep during video! What I miss?