Want FaceTime over Cellular on AT&T? Better have a Mobile Share plan
0. phoneArena 17 Aug 2012, 20:07 posted on
As an incentive to get its customers to switch to its Mobile Share plans, AT&T is offering customers free cellular calls using FaceTime if they make the switch; while the ability to make video call over a cellular network using FaceTime is new on iOS 6, you must have a Mobile Share plan to use it on AT&T...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
23. QWIKSTRIKE (Posts: 1076; Member since: 09 Mar 2010)
It's all about VOIP; When VOIP launches data usage and phone calls will be through data transmission. The goal is to heard you to these data plans, and when VOIP launches just imagine a share plan using data to make calls, and communicate regardless of it being, Skype, oovoo, hoodoo....or what ever. That's when carriers start making money, and all shared data will have lots of overage cost on VOIP.
Sheep being herded to a plan for monetization of data through VOIP! That's why Verizon, and AT&T want subscriber's to go to shared data.
2. TheCastled0 (Posts: 5; Member since: 28 Jul 2012)
So? I just use Skype on mine, not FaceTime... Skype has always allowed video calls on cellular. But if AT&T does something to skype on iPhones, then I'll be disappointed.
22. Non_Sequitur (Posts: 1111; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
Skype is better because it's universal, and not just to iDevices. All of my Apple friends always Facetime and never bothered to get a quick Skype account. xP
4. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Who cares? With Skype or ooVoo you can talk to anyone on any platform. Facetime is pointless.
6. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
The average consumer cares- They're either A.) Too dull to understand "how Skype works" on their phone, or B.) Too lazy and complain it doesn't "work like a normal phone call, you have to coordinate it!".
Edit: Sorry bout that retail rant, hah.
7. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Haha it's okay, but the average consumer does use Skype pretty often. It's definitely the most popular PC video calling service.
8. deathyyy (Posts: 101; Member since: 20 Dec 2011)
Oh I agree, but working in a retail cell store I can definitely say most of my customers either don't know you can use Skype for video chat on your phone over cell data, or actually just have no idea you can get it for your phone at all.. They all make me so sad.
18. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
People really need to read more about the mobile industry. I mean you're stuck with your phone for two years and it's your primary form of communication so it's pretty damn important.
21. dmckay12 (Posts: 243; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
For most, it is just a phone. Like people buy a Ford Focus or a Honda Civic because they want a car. They don't really care that there are better options and possible modifications. It is just some car.
14. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
facetime is extremely easy though if ur already on a call.. when im talking on the phone with someone its easier to just press the facetime button than hang up and make a skype… but unless you are already on the call, ya skype is by far better
17. Hunt3rj2 (Posts: 396; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
True, but Skype is such a terrible application on Android... It saddens me.
5. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
or u can jailbreak and use cydia to get a tweak that let u use face time over 3G !
24. infernal88 (Posts: 113; Member since: 08 Jun 2012)
oh u can always use google to help u search for them but incase u need some keywords search for this anyways there is a ton of tweaks that can do the same :-
9. Allen3697 (Posts: 86; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
This is the time for everyone to jump ship from AT&T. Since when has the carrier been given the right to decide what you use your data on??!!
13. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
Reminds me why I stay off big blue and big red. I'd like some money in my pocket at the end of the month. Now they want to force you to change to a more expensive plan just to use facetime?
Yea.. skype, fring,tango, and a dozen others already got ya covered for no extra. Bite me.
15. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
dont forget facetime3g and other fun things on the jailbreak store...
16. sithman (banned) (Posts: 299; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
AT&T is moving me closer, and closer to sprint. Once they get LTE in Vegas I'm out.
19. Forsaken77 (Posts: 553; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
I think we're all overlooking one HUGE factor here.... this only affects iPhone users, so who cares? ;)
25. remixfa (Posts: 14255; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
because if they are dumb enough to do it, they will assume customers with other phones will be dumb enough as well and it will filter to everyone.
26. Forsaken77 (Posts: 553; Member since: 09 Jun 2011)
Well you know if AT&T is doing it, then Verizon won't be far behind. I wonder if Apple is gonna chime in on this blatant exploit of their phones' services?