Walmart gets a touch of class with Apple’s store-within-a-store
A Walmart location 20 minutes outside its headquarters in Arkansas has just launched an Apple store-within-a-store concept. The new look features backlit graphics, wood tabletops, working product displays, and clean, glass-walled product storage.
While the displays may remind you of similar efforts at Best Buy, this new setup is quite an improvement over Walmart’s previous Apple display, which was notorious for being inconspicuous, not well maintained, and over all ‘meh’ at best.
Check out the following collection of photos of the Lowell, Arkansas store that were posted by ifoAppleStore to take a look at what you may see in the future at your local Walmart.
1. ChafedBanana (Posts: 361; Member since: 20 Sep 2011)
Screw Walmart. Never buy phones there. Support the real wireless stores and employees.
12. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Wireless stores should start selling groceries and budget clothing now, it's only fair.
3. PimpStrong (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)
Won't come to my neighborhood. Ghetto ass Wal-Mart has their tablets inside a plastic case. At one point their dummy phones were in the same kind of case.
20. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
hahahaha hell yeah! wont happen in my hood either...
4. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
"A Touch of Class", really PhoneArena.com?!?
Why is Apple a "classy" anything?
1) Is it "classy" to overcharge for their products?
2) Is it "classy" to put the people who make their products in work environments that they themselves would not work in?
3) Is it "classy" to insult people's intelligence by telling them that they are holding their phones incorrectly, instead of admitting that their phone was defective?
4) Is it "classy" to leave their prototype phone in a bar?
5) Is it "classy" to sue the industry or to ban products because they are beating them at their own game?
6) Is it "classy" to not differentiate in their design? The new iPad looks like any other iPad & the iPhone 4S is the same as the iPhone 4!
I can go on & on.... Why is it that Apple is synonymous with "classy"? What is classy about them? Apple has no class! They are experts in making people say silly things like Apple is "classy"! Manipulation of their customers is what Apple is good at!
5. tmcneill04 (Posts: 3; Member since: 06 May 2011)
Is it classy to have your android fanboy head so far up your own butt that you call Apple out for doing things that every major electronics maker is guilty of?
1 They all overcharge
2 Everybody has things made at Foxconn
3 Jobs was guilty of this one
4 Why is it classless to go to a bar?
5 Uh... is there anybody else that uses lawsuits to stop innovation? (Google, Samsung?)
6 Every maker has their own look (Motorola Droid, anyone?)
Lots of things that are synonomous with classy are expensive... Coach purses, Ferarri cars, Chanel clothes. Just because you like Android doesn't make you above anything else. chill.
11. remixfa (Posts: 14226; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
1) no one overcharges as much as apple in the mobile electronics biz
2) samsung doesnt make galaxy devices with foxconn, its all internal.
3) jobs was guilty, the very visible head of Apple. When he says it, it becomes apple policy.
4) yea, i dont get that one either
5) name a lawsuit from google and samsung that is specifically to stop innovation or shut down competitors.
6) name another maker that brings out a phone nearly 2 years later that is 99.5% identical
i dont get classy either, unless they are comparing the look for the mini store compared to the normal "its all piled on a shelf" look that walmart is famous for.
18. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
come on remixfa... this is ridiculous... no one bother you android guys in that SGSIII article when yall were worshiping the release on May 3... why do yall talk down on a company thats trying to make their booth attractive?
you guys say the same thing over and over again about what apple does that you dont like... who cares man... this is news for someone who probably wants an iDevice based on how classy the section looks in walmart...
take a chill pill bro...lol
19. HTCFreak (Posts: 153; Member since: 17 Jul 2010)
1) Vertu made crap phones for like, 10.000$, now thats what i like to call overcharging. :)
But yeah, you're right about all the other things.
But making a device that looks like the previous phone or tablet sucks, but it's part of their (weird) strategy :s
23. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
tmcneill04 Apple is the wealthiest company in the whole world that is not an oil company. Apple as the #1 company has a duty to be the best they can be.
1. No not all of them over charge. The Asus Transformer Prime has insane specs, a quad-core & they are still cheaper. There are others too but you can figure that out yourself. 2. Yes everyone has companies at Foxxcon but none of them are the world’s richest tech company. Apple makes so much money that their factory workers should all have decent hours & higher pay. So Apple is GUILTY of that. I am not saying that the other companies get a free pass, just that Apple has the means but CHOOSE to do NOTHING! 3. We agree about Jobs so good! 4. The bar is not classless it's the employee who is not classy because they got too drunk & didn't realize they left Apple's prized prototype at the bar. (One too many?) The employee represents Apple! 5. Yes everyone uses lawsuits but only Apple insists on outright banning to their top competitors! Others are NOW doing what Apple made trendy! 6. Yes they have their own look but they are not PHOTOCOPIES like the new iPad & the iPhone 4S. Those are identical to their predecessors!
Yes Ferrari, Coach have been elite for GENERATIONS. Apple is a new kid on the block compared to them. So your comparison is null and void! Ferrari & Coach are synonymous with class NOT Apple! Anyone can buy an iPad or an iPhone. Not everyone can have a $3,000.00 Coach bag or a $600,000.00 Ferrari.
Apple is great at manipulation & that is it. Their devices have been average at best since the iPhone 4. Their designs have been totally obsolete as of late. Imagine if Ferrari & Coach kept their designs the same, they would be out of business. They are in business because they make new & fresh things, they innovate, something Apple has abandoned as of late! I like Android because of choices & freedom it gives me. Ohh & yes I am very chill!
26. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
calm down man...lol
its just a fancy booth in walmart...lol
and these are just cell phones... luxury items... not necessities. no need to get all passionate and gungho with samsung tatted on your arm.
things grow become popular then lose value after while... thats life and business...
doesnt seem like you're "very chill" you keep repeating yourself about why you and everyone else hates apple...
they arent going anywhere and neither is android...
everything will be ok... :-)
27. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
That is my point, it's not classy BECAUSE it's at WAL-MART! lol
Would Ferrari, Coach, Armani or Tiffany make a "Fancy" booth at Wal-Mart? That clearly shows that it's not classy! lol
My problem is how anyone can call Apple classy or put them on the same level as other true class companies! Ohh & I am aloud to respond to a comment directed to me. I am completely chill, this is not ruining my day at all. I am just passing some time! Thanks for looking out for me, I appreciate that you say everything will be alright. That is mighty classy of you! You are a class act. :-)
30. gp284 (Posts: 120; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
is it possible that PA was trying to be sarcastic? Just a funny aticle title? Why would you start screaming at apple (which no offense you seem to do at every apple related article) just for PA telling you that they had a new booth in one of their stores?
35. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Dude if it was a PhoneArena.com joke/sarcasm then mine is too. No need to get bent out of shape my good man! lol
33. greathero1 (Posts: 505; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
You are not chill. If you were, you wouldnt be trolling Apple posts crying. Oh Apple this, oh Apple that. I enjoy freedom this and that. Good grief man lol!
34. SuperAndroidEvo (Posts: 4498; Member since: 15 Apr 2011)
Ohh my poor little baby, why do you take personal offence at my Apple criticism? That is just how I feel & if you don't like it then I guess you can cry.
I am chill because if you came on an Android article & gave your opinion I couldn't give 2 craps about it. You on the other hand need to attack me because you don't like what I say.
It's my opinion & I have right to say what I feel, just like you. The difference is that I would not attack you & call you a troll. I can post on any article here on PhoneArena.com. That is my THEY give us this forum, so we can post! (Just in case you didn’t know.)
Good grief man! lol
Can you really tell I take this so seriously? To me this is fun & only fun. It makes the day go by! The only time I respond to anyone on an article is if they are 100% wrong, like when people say that Samsung doesn’t make Apple’s A5X chip. You know things like that! I never attack a person because of an opinion.
6. MorePhonesThanNeeded (Posts: 645; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
I was going to harp on that headline, touch of class...yea sure it's those same classy people that ranted and raved when Instagram came out on android, I would say that was completely void of class and more a collection of ignorant small minded fools who think that somehow owning the iPhone makes them elite when all top tier android devices cost the same as the top iPhone...stupid people use anything to try to show that they are above someone else.
To the first poster, dude this is the era of convenience and soon buying anything from a sales clerk will be a thing of the past. Look at the immense amount of online purchases, in store sales reps are a dying breed and it's only being hastened by all this digital information boom. I haven't bought my phone upgrades from a sales clerk in ages...i do my own research and then I make my online purchase. Seriously the companies like VZW give you better deals online than you can get by walking into one of their stores.
7. DanielRHoch (Posts: 2; Member since: 06 Jun 2011)
I would like some better displays at Walmart, also apple tv, and computers it's about time.
10. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
why the negativity? whats wrong with apple making their product booth better in walmart? i dont understand...
15. PimpStrong (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)
When you walk around Best Buy and then run into the Apple section, it looks classy.
When I walk into the Apple store, it looks classy.
The iPad and iPhone designs are sleek and classy...
...but I still love my plastic Galaxy S II way more than any of that.
31. greathero1 (Posts: 505; Member since: 13 Jun 2008)
Dude, all you do is whine, whine, whine about Apple! Go have a drink and calm down lol! I mean, my 5 year old whines less than you. Oh Apple this, oh Apple that! We get it, you dont like Apple but enough with this broken record routine.
32. downphoenix (Posts: 2502; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
This is about store displays. Im sure when they said "touch of class" they are talking about the actual store displays with their distinct and appealing design, not all the other garbage you spewed. There's a point when fanboyism is just too ridiculous and you crossed that line. If I remember correctly, Apple directly co-ordinates their efforts with various retail chains as far as how the phone is displayed. Samsung, Motorola, RIM, etc. don't do any of this. So if their phones arent in some nice display like this, its those companies' faults for not working with retailers in this.
40. jmoita2 (Posts: 930; Member since: 23 Dec 2011)
The thinking goes like this: I overpaid huge for something, therefore that means I have money to burn,which makes me...classy.
Stupidity at its best.
8. darth8ball (Posts: 519; Member since: 02 Aug 2011)
yea and who is going to man the store in a store the same retarted Wal-Mart employees that cant get out of their own way and trip on their shoelaces....
Oh wait that describes Apple employees also....
9. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
look you android guys are always stirring up trouble...
no one who supports apple on this site said anything negative in the SGSIII article and it was nearly 70 comments. Just chill out...
i think its a good idea for apple to class up the mobile area in walmart to attract regular walmart shoppers to their products... yall dummies asked what does apple do with their money right? well this is a part of it... make walmart's mobile area look classy like the apple store... a lot of people dont go to apple stores to get products so how convenient is walmart?
smart move by apple...
GEEZ you android guys dont let up!!! you guys already won the market share argument and best phone argument... RELAX!!! hahaha
37. Habib (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
No body is saying anything negative about IPHONE, its about APPLE.
its about the company and their ethics. If you would like to say anything about Samsung as a company you are most welcome to do so.
The article is related to the APPLE INC, so everyone can have their opinion just as GALLITOKING did.
45. remixfa (Posts: 14226; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
i just thought it was funny that they used "class" and "walmart" in the same sentence. Thats all. I'd be making a joke about it if it was samsung or anyone else.
Let me help...
go towww.peopleofwalmart.com and look around.
now insert "class" anywhere in those photos.
try not to bust out laughing. :)
now you get why I and probably a few others think the title is funny. My blood pressure was never on the rise. maybe u are just putting inflections of anger in as you are reading that dont belong? lol
13. frommy728 (Posts: 2; Member since: 17 Mar 2012)
another argument to put to rest.... when Apple hops on board with the fastest, most reliable network in 4G LTE, they can say it pars to android.... until then, Internet goes to DROID!!!! Innovation and customization go to DROID, Iphone just simply put isnt as fast..... nice features we all can admit come on Apple products, but just lacks the technology to keep up in terms of speed and fluidity..... but lets just go one step further in saying that there is no reason to charge for the best thinbg about phones..... APPS!
Charge for music, charge for videos, require an itunes password for every new app download, all terrible ideas! Make it simple, and you will find more smartphone users..... Droid > Apple Iphone!
22. good2great (Posts: 1040; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
sounds like the best thing you like about android is "free stuff" thats cheap man... people charge for apps so they can make money for all the hard work they put into making it.
whats funny is apple has free apps just like android has apps that cost. when i had my android phone i spent just as much money for apps as i do with my iphone now.
this is one of the lamest android vs iphone arguments.
music, videos require passwords and card info to purchase on google play as well. if you are speaking of a work around for free music apple has work arounds as well.
36. Habib (Posts: 114; Member since: 26 Feb 2011)
For you may be the cost the same for million of other it does not.
And it is a very fair argument apps matter and almost 75% of them are free with an android operating system.
and Google does not require you TO HAVE A CREDIT CARD and I , for one, do not wanna go through trouble of jailbreaking and void my warranty for free music where i can jus download everything to my phone without any hassle.
14. TrainFromUkraine (Posts: 63; Member since: 26 Mar 2012)
"Walmart" and "touch of class" should never be mentioned in the same sentense, ever.
17. PimpStrong (Posts: 310; Member since: 25 Jul 2011)
I bought my 40" Samsung TV on Black Friday 2010. Here we are in Spring of 2012 and it looks like they still have the same TV's on the wall. How bout doing something about that Walmart?? How bout some more modern 55" TV's and maybe a 60".
21. bbblader (Posts: 584; Member since: 24 Oct 2011)
yo dawg I herd u like stores
so I put a store in a store so you can lose money while you lose money
24. StalkinUrMom (Posts: 111; Member since: 16 Apr 2012)
Attracting a bunch of hipsters with too much money to spend to your store so you can consequently raise your prices on everything else?
Well played, Walmart, well played c;
28. skymitch89 (Posts: 1147; Member since: 05 Nov 2010)
It's too bad that they don't offer cheaper prices on Apple products. I think that they only discount that they offer over going to an Apple store or Best Buy is that their iPods/iPads are like $0.02 less.
39. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Actually, they do offer cheaper priced APPLE products...
38. networkdood (Posts: 6329; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
Walmart is a trashy place to shop...thanks to its customers...so this may help their pathetic electronics department.
44. Mandroid (Posts: 209; Member since: 22 Feb 2012)
LMAO, sorry if I offended you wal mart shopper. Stay....classy.
42. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6812; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
I think this is a bad idea. I work at wal mart in electronics. my store isn't too ghetto like the other one. 2nd thing IF THEY PUT THOSE in on display at my store. people will try to steal IT FROM IT'S display instead having it all covered up with strong case like our display does. we even have a live display phone a year ago from Verizon and someone stole it. but the dumb thing is the idiot that stole the phone don't realize it's a demo and we shut it off before he can use it.
43. taco50 (banned) (Posts: 5506; Member since: 08 Oct 2009)
Apple as usual iw head and shoulders above the competition