WSJ confirms HTC One launch delay, UltraPixel camera components to blame
0. phoneArena posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:44
Insiders say that Peter Chou pledged his executive position last year, if the HTC One sales don't pan out, and the launch delay isn't helping to offset that pledge. Given what the One offers compared to its competition, the sales are more than likely to be decent, once those component shortages are resolved, but still HTC's CEO has something to really worry about now...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. khaledmhawesh posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:46 20
The biggest problem right know if this ultra pixel cant beat the 13mp on the s4
6. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:53 22
Lumia 720 already did that... And that in low light shots.
S4 isn't the only phone that exists you know.
26. SleepingOz posted on 19 Mar 2013, 10:46 9
But based on the GSIV samples, it's the only SMARTphone that managed to produce better photos than the ip5.
36. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 12:08 3
Oohohoho...no you don't!
You want me to come out at you with the 808, eh? No thanks man...
52. SleepingOz posted on 19 Mar 2013, 15:33 6
I wrote SMARTphone on purpose! Not a cameraphone with some smartphone features.. =]
54. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 15:47 4
That's what you always come up with... Cameraphone with smartphone features...that's all you can say.
And you guys talk about how Nokia fans keep talking 'only' about the camera.
808 might not have a grand hardware like any of the flagship Android devices, but it still is a very capable smartphone. Symbian 60 OS owned smartphone world before Android even saw the light of day.
57. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 15:56 2
...and just because Android succeeded Symbian or any OS, it doesn't mean you have to downsize it's capability.
58. SleepingOz posted on 19 Mar 2013, 16:05 5
Yup S60 was considered as an Smart OS until Symbian 3. lol
60. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 16:17 1
And that's ^3, successor of S60...in 2010, not so long ago. It's a full smartphone OS if you don't mind me saying.
And need i remind you that S60 was also used in Sony and Samsung devices??
55. chaoticrazor posted on 19 Mar 2013, 15:54 2
ohh your still spewing your crap i see
the 808 is a smartphone, just because it runs symbian and has less power doesnt take away from this. symbian on a single core runs as smooth as android on quad core. it can also do everything needed that android does. all it doesnt have is a ecosystem as its now dead. but that dead os can do things easier then your precious android..........ohh and has the customisation you love to brag about
so please stop been so blinded
59. SleepingOz posted on 19 Mar 2013, 16:11 4
ohh you're still bitter about your inferior OS, I see..
Can your 808 do this? Symbian doesn't even support real time multitasking. I doubt, it'll be able to handle a simple live wallpaper.
43. amats69 posted on 19 Mar 2013, 13:08 3
i think you need an opthalmologist
53. SleepingOz posted on 19 Mar 2013, 15:34 3
Allow me to return the advice.. =]
63. jsdechavez posted on 21 Mar 2013, 07:05 0
Perhaps HTC is taking its time to release the HTC One in Ultrapixel variant and another with regular-sized pixels (which will probably sell way more than the one with the hyped camera), say 8 or 12 MP.. Just saying...
12. Droid_X_Doug posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:07 12
It isn't even the camera sensor problems. It is the fact that HTC can't play at Sammy's level. The GS IV will ship on time and in promised quantities. Behind the splash of the announcement, there is the hard work to have product available to fill orders and get carriers lined up to offer your toys to their customers. There are presently two A level players at that game - Apple and Sammy. Everyone else is at level B or lower.
14. voxmarc posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:11 4
true....that's the camera alone...what if they ran a production problem on alum body....tsk tsk tsk....
37. Diego! posted on 19 Mar 2013, 12:10 0
They already are. It turns out the supplier considers HTC as a second-class customer... :/ check out...http://pocketnow.com/2013/03/1
62. voxmarc posted on 19 Mar 2013, 23:39 0
they should have learned from Sammy,last year S3 was suppose to launch with 13mp camera module from sony that's Sammy plan,but sony cannot produce the quantity Sammy needs, so they end up with 8mp 3months before the launch last year...
38. zippolite28 posted on 19 Mar 2013, 12:10 2
I like one and its cam with all features what else I want just waitin
32. SamsungTheSavior (banned) posted on 19 Mar 2013, 11:55 8
Samsung could have a 1mp camera and kill whatever htc put in their phones.
50. amiroo posted on 19 Mar 2013, 15:10 1
in that case i wait for one cus its perfect phone ..
its not matter if its release a little next..
61. som posted on 19 Mar 2013, 17:38 0
HTCOne has a problem on metal back cover it took 200 minutes to make 1 cover and camera shortage. Samsung tested aluminum and metal back cover too but decided to used polycarbonate easy to produce and light weight.
2. XPERIA-KNIGHT posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:50 10
Better safe than sorry man....if a delay means a better camera then people should want to wait...
He made the right decision.
19. MrJerry posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:25 11
And they are losing their money...a lot..
There are 5 types of customers:
Loyal: They are going to wait anyway like you said
Potential: Could be yours or others - HTC will lose
Impulse: No particular reason. They will purchase what seems good at the time - HTC will lose
Discount: - N/A
Geeks and other company's: Hard to pursuade - HTC will lose
To sum up, they will lose everything except for what they already have
4. _Bone_ posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:52 14
It won't beat the SIV camera.
8. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:56 8
You're making a spam out of these images.
21. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:43 2
23. _Bone_ posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:47 8
24. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 10:07 2
Then why am i still here?
29. _Bone_ posted on 19 Mar 2013, 11:12 6
Maybe they are not ultra enough.
30. HouTexan posted on 19 Mar 2013, 11:33 4
Because he didn't mention Nokia, so now he's upset.
35. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 12:01 0
Ooo...is that why?
Geee Hou, see comment 33.
I'll leave the rest to you.
33. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 11:56 1
I'm not upset...that's what you might think cause all you think is people who don't have written support for Samsung is against it.
I said that because -bone- posted the same post somewhere else too. You don't even know why i commented that...and you assume me upset.
You know what they say..."Don't assume. You'll make and 'ass' (of)'u'(and)'me'."
9. Diego! posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:56 9
Those are incredible shots!!! Amazing camera on the S 4! :D
25. rizevnarastek posted on 19 Mar 2013, 10:39 4
Oh please... have you even seen the photos? S4 doesn't even come near the One ;)
39. Diego! posted on 19 Mar 2013, 12:11 1
I've seen pictures of both phones and I must admit HTC One has incredible pics but they don't come even close to Samsung Galaxy S 4. HTC One pics have a lot of detail but also a lot of 'noise'.
5. DKJnr posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:53 8
It's already been confirmed that the HTC One camera is not great but can hold it's own against the major players like Lumia 920, iPhone 5, SGS3 and I think even SGS4.
Delays might hurt HTC Ones sales a lot more than Camera shortcomings IMO.
7. Diego! posted on 19 Mar 2013, 08:55 6
Couldn't HTC forecast this??? Geez, they need to speed up their production ASAP!
10. bubbadoes posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:02 5
People--don't get caught up on the idea of big is better---in that case Apple will just slap a 15 mp camera on the next iphone and it's automatically better. Not the case. Mexapixel size is just the quality of the image. You can have a 13mp camera, but if the lens are crappy, then what's the point. You can shoot a decent 8 mp photo of superior quality on ANY cellphone with a nice Carl Zeiss lens and I guarantee you it will be better than a 13MP shot from a inferior lens like on so many phones. You only can cut corners in so little places now so if you have a 13mp shooters, I guarantee you the lens want be Carl Zeiss. and also, when was the last time you sent a 13 mp photo over a LTE network without eating up your data plan or reducing the size so much that the idea of a 13MP camera is defeated
11. Nathan_ingx posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:06 1
Man, i couldn't agree more!!
But this comment should be posted somewhere...maybe on a DIFFERENT article??
40. Taters posted on 19 Mar 2013, 12:21 1
13mp plus good sensor and lens >>>>>> than 4mp plus good sensor and lens. Everyone knows that mp doesn't mean everything, but that still doesn't change the fact that provided noise and smearing can be kept to a minimum and compression is good to keep file sizes down, 13mp >>>> 4mp.
Yes sensor size and lens are more important, but who says that sensor and lens has to take a hit on higher mp cameras. You can have your cake and eat it too with the 13mp on the GS4. You can't on the HTC One though.
13. josephnero posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:08 2
This is kinda good news to Sony and Samsung.not to forget LG
15. xperiaDROID (limited) 5 days ago posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:11 4
What's Peter worrying about? They have already make a gorgeous smartphone, Peter don't even have to worry about anything! So, just release the One globally ASAP!
18. voxmarc posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:23 3
he's worried because he bet his position if ONe got into trouble.
20. xperiaDROID (limited) 5 days ago posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:39 1
According to Gsmarena from your link, "Peter reportedly told company executives he will step down if the HTC One doesn’t succeed" ? Now he's making me worry.
42. Taters posted on 19 Mar 2013, 13:01 2
It is a good thing. They keep making the same mistakes so a new leader is good. Since Peter Chou refuses to actually fix their issues and instead blames it all on marketing. Yes, marketing could play a part but he doesn't look at any other possibility like a good leader should.
Issues that a new leader could improve on.
-screen size to phone size ratio has always been piss poor. Especially on the HTC 8x and HTC One, their two latest.
-Button placement is just retarded. Maybe the new leader will put the power button on the side like he should and maybe the new leader won't get rid of the recent app button and make the home button difficult to reach just to be different.
- Improve quality control by 100 fold. New leader might blame it less on marketing and actually concentrate more on lowering their clearance. Loose volume rockers and screens that stick out more than they should are unacceptable. Instead of a 2mm clearance gap tops to past inspection, make it 1mm or less.
-Get rid of needless battery draining hardware like a wide angle ffc and some crappy amp and just make the device last longer and more compact.
22. REYNER posted on 19 Mar 2013, 09:46 1
oh no!!!! please makes it faster while the hype of htc one is still at its peak for i have to say HTC One has one of the best spec and built quality out there but when other flagship comes out elier the tendency of most people is to grab the newest! and has the hype will be slowly deteriorate htc has to do something about that i cant wait for it!!
41. Taters posted on 19 Mar 2013, 12:37 4
The funny thing is that it probably isn't the camera or aluminum body(since we all know HTC just rushes and would release any body regardless of the manufacturing flaws like the HTC One X issues have shown us).
It is probably Qualcomm and HTC just doesn't have the clout to call them out. This seems more likely than a camera parts shortage.
Samsung : Hey Qualcomm, I need 40 million Qualcom 600 chip sets fast. Speed is important or otherwise we can just use our own Exynos if we have to wait too long.
Qualcomm : Errrrr.*sweats* Let me get back to you.
Samsung : Okay. Don't take too long though because we have to finalize everything soon.
Qualcomm : Hey LG and HTC! Your order is going to be delayed a bit because of um.... Manufacturing issues. Yes! That's it! Thanks for understanding. *hangs up before HTC can reply*
HTC: Sigh. Yes, I suck. :(
LG: Oh well. I will survive selling screens to Apple and making the next Nexus again for Google.
Qualcomm : Hey Samsung! 40 million by early April, no problem.
Samsung : Cool.
44. gogowho posted on 19 Mar 2013, 13:08 0
aluminum phone body has production problem, too. If you happen to buy one, don't forget to check it.
45. gogowho posted on 19 Mar 2013, 13:15 0
nexus 5 will have Nikon aided camera. plus motorola xphone also put some efforts on its camera. I would like to check it out.
so I wont consider the cheap camera module by htc. besides, the camera ois has some known
47. imkyle posted on 19 Mar 2013, 14:09 0
Considering that this is your shot to actually come back for 2013 in the Android Phone category, I'd say that a shortage that is caused by your main and most unique feature is kinda pathetic.
48. cR203 posted on 19 Mar 2013, 14:43 0
What's so special about this ultrapixel camera? From what I've heard and seen, the ultrapixel camera is not that great.
51. gogowho posted on 19 Mar 2013, 15:26 0
yes, but it is still a trademark and without it, new HTC one is????just a phone???