WSJ confirms Apple testing more affordable polycarbonate iPhone for launch later in the year
0. phoneArena 08 Jan 2013, 16:43 posted on
While the earlier rumor was that this market-expanding iPhone will shoot for a larger screen, WSJ says that it will actually resemble the current iPhone, but feature different, easier to manufacture materials for the body, like the light and durable polycarbonate...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6380; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
So their coping Samsungs technology with the polycarbonate? Apple dont use plastic they use GLASS which breaks.
4. Ninetysix (Posts: 1557; Member since: 08 Oct 2012)
The iPhone 3G's back featured a redesigned plastic polycarbonate housing.
10. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Does Samsung use polycarbonate? I thought they used cheap looking/feeling plastic? Look to HTC and Nokia for some high quality polycarbonate (which I guess is a type of plastic?).
13. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6380; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
POLYCARBONATE isn't cheap IT'S STRONG PLASTIC and it doesn't blend like the iPhone
38. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
I know that, I never said it was. I said that Nokia and HTC use it and it is of a high quality where as Samsung uses cheap plastic (though surprisingly durable)
15. hutty24 (Posts: 84; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
your f**king dumb go back to what ever dark fanboy hole you came from why do i say this because humans naturaly take info in as true the first time they hear it no matter if its not then the brain works out if its true or not later now get to work and stop being a follower
32. jackhammeR (Posts: 1548; Member since: 17 Oct 2011)
so....does samsung copy polycarbonate from htc and htc from Nokia?
let them do it. We'll see the results (miserable as always)
2. Joker (Posts: 24; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Get ready guys (Nokia, Sony, Samsung, etc...), a polycarbonate lawsuit coming to the HQ near you.
3. menny07 (Posts: 89; Member since: 13 Dec 2012)
Please change software interface! iOS has had the same home design in all of its mediocre life.
18. hutty24 (Posts: 84; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
i seen 5 phones come out today that all have a iphone look to them and android would be s**t today if it never took from ios and pc
31. Twisted247 (Posts: 202; Member since: 12 Oct 2012)
Lmao PLEASE I repeat PLEASE Elaborate on that comment for us.
33. tedkord (Posts: 4644; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
Android interface(ui) had changed quite a bit with each new build. Thats not even mentioning all the variations with different manufacturer skins.
None look like the boring old iphone ui, which hasn't changed in its entire life. In other words, you have no idea what you're talking about.
19. hutty24 (Posts: 84; Member since: 18 Oct 2011)
android most of its life = s**t up in till jellybean 4.2 iphone 5 vs anyother phone is like windows xp vs osx mountain lion or windows 8
34. tedkord (Posts: 4644; Member since: 17 Jun 2009)
As of Android 2.3 Gingerbread, it was 95% as smooth as iOS, while much more powerful and fully featured. With ICS, then JB, it became 100% as smooth and even further ahead in power and function.
25. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Please let the iPhone remain how it is, it's the iconic symbolism which shall remain perpetual so in perspective shares and commodity shall will stumble .
5. cncrim (Posts: 497; Member since: 15 Aug 2011)
Oh no, I like Tim Cook but his vision is no longer bold like Steve.
7. ckoch125 (Posts: 191; Member since: 29 Oct 2012)
But but but apple only uses the highest quality materials never would use cheap plastic, or so the apple fanboys claim.
8. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3007; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
Tim, let's see how affordable an iPhone you can 'Cook' up!
9. RiseAgainst94 (Posts: 271; Member since: 03 Mar 2012)
Unless it's on par with the Lumia 920 then there would be no reason to buy it. The 920 is already affordable enough. An inexpensive polycarbonate device that has inexpensive internals would be a failure from Apple. I'm sure they are familiar with what the competition has to offer, but we'll see if they get greedy again.
11. Nikolas.Oliver (banned) (Posts: 1574; Member since: 01 Jul 2012)
With last year's spec obviously
12. fanboy1974 (Posts: 1195; Member since: 12 Nov 2011)
Even if the iPhone 5 was free on contract I would still pay $300 for a Note 2. And 2013 will be the year of 1080p displays and fast quad core processors. If Apple made a $300 (on contract) 5.5 inch quad core A6 1080p phone I would buy it. Heck, I would even drop $400 for the 32gig model.
Apple won't learn until it's too late. Samsung/Android is going to run lose all year if Apple releases a 4 inch "S" model.
20. bparkerson (unregistered)
Couldn't have said it better...You know what they say about karma.I'm afraid Apple is coming to a slow end similar to that of Atari,Nintendo,ect.,however Apple deserves it!!
21. ray77 (Posts: 121; Member since: 17 Nov 2012)
And then their was criticzing about Samsung that the phone is plastic , lol
35. JC557 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 07 Dec 2011)
Or the overwhelming amount of iFans mocking anyone using something else as poor or low class... a lot of the hate is well deserved, especially if you've watched the Apple documentaries showcasing their users and company behavior.
22. downphoenix (Posts: 2302; Member since: 19 Jun 2010)
just a cost cutting measure on apple's part for the lower end phones. Manufacturing an Iphone 4s isnt much cheaper than a 5, due to the materials involved outside of the hardware. Using cheaper components like plastic instead of glass means higher profit margins for them on the lower end devices.
24. jmoney62987 (Posts: 31; Member since: 16 Mar 2010)
As an iphone 5 owner I must say this is sad news. I love the construction of iphones ( of course i wish they grew a bit larger lol) but what I really loved was that there was one. One a year. Simple. All apps and accessories were made for that one. With new models; a cheaper one, a smaller one, a middle one, a large screen one (how much will THAT BE!?)...I think it's time to move on to android :(
26. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Welcome to freedom, you shall not be controlled any more.
27. TROLL (banned) (Posts: 4851; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
Apple's another scheme to juice and rip the public this costing much cheaper to produce and huge profits.
37. Brutus (Posts: 19; Member since: 21 Dec 2012)
I am more worried about the specs...
The overpriced flagship gets mediocre specs for its price and hype...
Wonder what will they fit the CHEAPER ONE with??
Dual core 600 Mhz processor, 512mb ram and 5 mp camera for $450?? LOL
40. thunderbolt (Posts: 76; Member since: 10 Jan 2013)
Phonearena writers should refrain from adopting that pathetic "class divide" attitude of Apple. It's pathetic really and if anyone objects these guys call it trolling. Many writers here troll quite a lot. Why use words like "reserved for Aristrocratic" etc ?