Victim pays $200 for an Apple iPad in a gas station parking lot that turns out to be a mirror
0. phoneArena 11 Nov 2012, 03:49 posted on
Why would you buy an Apple iPad from someone trying to sell it to you in a gas station parking lot; Jalonta Freeman found out the hard way when she found out that the tablet she paid $200 for was really a mirror...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. fsnas (Posts: 99; Member since: 18 Jun 2012)
Well, there is no much of a difference between this mirror and a real iPad.
she should've bought an android tablet or surface!!
2. zibbyzib2000 (Posts: 204; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
Wow. You're so original. How do you come up with this stuff?
23. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
She was probably the one who bought the mirror!!
16. darkkjedii (Posts: 12619; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
You're something that starts with an I, but its not innovative.
104. Raymond_htc (Posts: 430; Member since: 06 Apr 2012)
Oh so you meant fsnas is intelligent....
80. Nathan_ingx (Posts: 3024; Member since: 07 Mar 2012)
I think she got quite a steal with the deal.
And maybe it's the real iPad, iOS pre-'un'installed, unlocked version...
You get 'reality'display...no lag, no buttons...just the Apple logo and the super reflective surface.
Those who go by the logo should find this quite innovative!
The scammer is a fool to have sold a rare Apple piece. :P
53. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
I can bet that the scammer will buy a nexus 7 with that money!!!!
57. som (Posts: 768; Member since: 10 Nov 2009)
Bring that mirror to the Police Dept. to scan for finger prints and catch the crook.
99. meowcenary (Posts: 187; Member since: 13 Apr 2012)
one would thing that the evidence would be contaminated by the handeling.
68. Dr.Phil (Posts: 928; Member since: 14 Feb 2011)
I'm surprised no one mentioned that she was wearing hipster glasses.
98. KaiTech (Posts: 20; Member since: 20 Mar 2012)
Without lenses...she deserved it just for the frames... ;D
50. oldhamletman (Posts: 40; Member since: 03 Sep 2011)
apple users will buy anything with the logo...... and if it doesnt work.... that's absolute proof its an apple product
110. Hlorri (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 May 2008)
Yeah, I think a $200 premium for just the Apple logo is about current market price.
60. inertiatic (Posts: 27; Member since: 29 May 2012)
With the new front facing camera and the Retina2 display, it's impossible to identify individual pixels while looking at your own face!
69. BadAssAbe (Posts: 434; Member since: 22 Apr 2011)
Mirror vs iPad 4
More realistic colors
comes with warranty
75. Droiddoes (unregistered)
I love that the salesman used a mirror. As she's peeling off the stickers she can see exactly what someones face looks like when they realize they've just been had, and the realization that they're a moron.
87. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
Shes just stupid didn't think bout looking at the box 1st or opening it. She just like 200$ a good pricethen open and like OMG.
109. Hlorri (Posts: 40; Member since: 07 May 2008)
To illustrate your point, here is a (albeit older, slightly outdated) comparison between a 2008 iPhone vs. a rock:
3. adelta90 (Posts: 63; Member since: 14 Sep 2012)
its sad that people fall for this kinda stuff
18. noim1 (Posts: 297; Member since: 15 May 2012)
I don't feel sorry 4 this women ..HECK !!! i even can't tell which ipad is which . i mean 1st ,2nd ,3rd ,4th generation they all look the SAME & identical to mirrors :P .....that's why scammers take products from Apple to steal frm ppl...bcuz they know dumb ppl with too much money use them.....
Lets see them fool an Android User !!
5. twens (Posts: 699; Member since: 25 Feb 2012)
Hahaha,can't stop laughing. This goes to show what kind of people purchase apple products and why.lol,next time it will be a brick with an apple logo.I think I better start selling that in my hood.lol ifools.hahaha
6. sadaivadai (Posts: 156; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
Imirror .. the most innovative mirror in the world ..
8. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
would be cool if YOU GUYS......phone arena, could help her out by giving her a free ipad just to show some remorse for her loss...
17. KParks23 (Posts: 462; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
Why would they give sum1 a free ipad for being a Dumbass... If ur stupid enough to buy a "ipad" at a gas station for 200$ in a FedEx box from a guy who says hurry up he in a hurry and has to leave with out looking at it and opening the box its ur own damn fault what a IDIOT!
26. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
It has happened to all us bro no need to act like we are smarter than someone else............what do i mean by "happened to all of us"? I mean we all at some point have been lied to....and since phone arena wants to rush and broadcast ANOTHER misfortune like this, maybe they should do something good and receive more "praise" for helping that "victim" out..........last time i checked, they do give away prizes to people so how could this hurt them anyway? I bet that women would be happy as long as they make sure to tell her to look out for scammers like this next time then i dont see no harm in giving her a new tablet
28. KParks23 (Posts: 462; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
We all have been lied to.. but not many people would be naive enough to believe something as dumb as this circumstance.. she got what's coming to her in my book I have no pity for anyone like that!
29. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
Maybe she did but it still wouldnt hurt to help someone then tell them to be careful next time bro........those scammers are the ones to be mad at if anything man
35. KParks23 (Posts: 462; Member since: 13 Oct 2010)
No people who break into ur house are people to be mad at people that murder and rob.. Not some guy driving around in a geo metro selling FedEx boxes with who knows what's in side it. he didn't force her to give him the money and ur telling me she didn't see anything suspicious with this whole thing. I would of told him open it up and let me see or laughed in his face just like the other 99% of the population so like I said no pity at all for this dummy! If she said anything like that this dude would of rolled out no problem but no he said I got a ipad 200$ she said where he holds box up she get s money and he leaves its hilarious that's exactly how it had to go down!
88. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
People that buy cheap electronics on the streets thinking its legit ARE STUPID THEY DON'T THINK they only think HOW CHEAP THE ITEM IS and is stupid
34. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
They give prizes to people but, it's always something they, themselves, do not want and they never give out iPads. Instead, they keep all the "demo" review units they receive from Apple and hang them on their walls or use them as giant coasters in their living rooms to impress the flock when they gather. i, For one, would love an iPad 1, 2, 3, 3⅓, 4 as a gift as, I would really like to see what my gorgeous face looks like during a FaceTime™ call on wi-fi; I understand that wi-fi does something mAgical to one's face and I would like to experience that "mAgic" first hand.
44. longhorn1127 (Posts: 2; Member since: 28 May 2009)
Your right, just give ANYONE a new iPad if they make a mistake. NO ONE should ever take responsibility for their own actions.
61. Droiddoes (unregistered)
Actually no, that has never happened to me nor anyone I know. Myself, and the members of my family/friend group, no better than to buy apples overpriced novelty crap in the first place. We also know damn well not to buy electronics from a strange man at the local gas station UHDUUURR.
F*ck her yo, I don't feel any sympathy whatsoever. A fool and their money...
67. 90ninjas (Posts: 108; Member since: 07 Aug 2012)
Yes, I've been lied to. No, I've never been that idiotic to buy something at 1/4 the cost in a shady scenario. PhoneArena is not entitled to do anything and certainly not anything that would seemingly raise their reputation. The lady made a big mistake that could have been completely avoided if she just used common sense. That's it.
62. 14545 (Posts: 1152; Member since: 22 Nov 2011)
WHY? FOR BEING AN IDIOT? You have to be kidding me. You don't reward stupidity, you reward hard work. How about we give the top 5 graduates in the closest state school to PA free ipads. That would make more sense, THEY actually earned something. I doubt this woman has a HS degree if she was dumb enough to A) purchase this to begin with and B) purchase this and NOT EVEN CHECK TO SEE IF IT WORKS before handing over money to the would be thief. If she had at minimum opened it up to check it's functionality, then she would have known that it wasn't real and never lost a dime.
10. sbr999 (Posts: 79; Member since: 05 Jun 2012)
Ladies and gentlemen, we present the average Apple consumer, who confuses a mirror with an iPad. If you're too dumb to tell them apart, you deserve this!
11. Rocksteady (unregistered)
Scammers use the ipad because they know it's hard to fool Android users.
12. wendygarett (unregistered)
Wow $200 for an iPad!!!
Just take my money, and here's my bank account for you :)
19. ElektronicGeek91 (Posts: 105; Member since: 26 Sep 2012)
Quit being cheap people. If it sounds too good to be true, then maybe it is.
20. eisenbricher (Posts: 972; Member since: 09 Aug 2012)
everyday apple iNews puts a smile on my face! Thanks a lot dear apple, eat $hît.
21. sats.mine2k4 (banned) (Posts: 208; Member since: 10 Aug 2012)
The best ipad ever sold....or should i say the most useful...:)
90. InspectorGadget80 (Posts: 6736; Member since: 26 Mar 2011)
diddo same here best news i hear all year long
22. Kaze105 (Posts: 21; Member since: 15 Feb 2012)
Although its unfortunate for her, I do have to say that its her fault. One thing anyone should always do if purchasing from craiglist is getting proof it works before handing the other person money. They should always personally check themselves that their product works, even if its a wrapped product.
24. darkkjedii (Posts: 12619; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I feel sorry for this person. U wish people would b square dealing, but that's not always the case.
25. Imaxxacre (Posts: 57; Member since: 23 Aug 2009)
I have absolutely no sympathy for ignorant consumers. The scammer probably could have convinced her that a little kids' Leap Pad learning tablet was an iPad too.
81. darkkjedii (Posts: 12619; Member since: 05 Feb 2011)
I bought a sealed iPad 2 from a lady here in vegas, but I told her if I can't open it and power it on then its no deal. She let me, and I bought it. Gotta check this stuff out, u jus never know.
97. chronopc (Posts: 86; Member since: 18 Oct 2012)
If you get a legitimate iPad from the street, it's most likely a stolen item.
107. Bilpocalypse (Posts: 301; Member since: 13 Oct 2012)
Leap Pad + Apple logo drawn with crayon on back = iPad mini. lol
38. at0mNom (Posts: 8; Member since: 07 Oct 2012)
Haha I'm not surprised. Buying and Ipad from a stranger at a gas station is just plain stupidity. Those fake glasses she's wearing without any lens doesn't make her look any smarter neither