Verizon's Motorola XOOM is making the jump to Android 4.0 ICS starting on June 4
Before, it was believed that the Motorola XOOM would spend it last days agonizing in pain being stuck with Honeycomb, but that’s not the case any longer. Call it a miracle or whatever, but the original Honeycomb tablet is making the jump to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich – and ever better, the wait will be a short one!
Verizon announced the wonderful news today, as they give us the concrete date of Monday, June 4th as being the day ICS will become available to the tablet. In addition to all the cool features that we find with the most up-to-date version of Android, Verizon’s beauty will also see additional functionality with the update – such as a speech-to-text technology and the option to dismiss notifications individually. Not ending there, it’ll also include a built-in photo editor app that’ll provide owners with some on the go editing functions.
So who’s excited by this unexpected news? Well, if you’re in possession of a Motorola XOOM tablet for Big Red, we’re certain you’re already itching to get this one. Thankfully, the wait at this point is merely a few days, so it won't be that bad at all.
source: Verizon via Mobileburn
1. roscuthiii (Posts: 1830; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Well dip me in sour cream and call me a taco, I never thought I'd see ICS on a XOOM!
3. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5620; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
really? you never thought you'd see ICS on a Google Experience Device? :P
6. roscuthiii (Posts: 1830; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
Not from an (semi)older device using service from Verizon, they're not yet proven to be gratuitous enough with updates.
Plus, I think you missed my subtle ribbing of a well known site naysayer of all things Google... perhaps too subtle.
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5620; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, because Verizon is such a big, bad bully and won't let Google update their version of a product that's been running ICS for months. xD
hm, must have. :P
16. Mxyzptlk (Posts: 3631; Member since: 21 Apr 2012)
Only seven months later. Such a quick and timely update.
5. Droid4Life (unregistered)
FE? As in foto editor? By the way, I can spell photo.
11. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5620; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
if you can spell photo then you must have known from the start that was a dumb guess. it's for Family Edition, the XOOM: Family Edition.
4. gallitoking (Posts: 4690; Member since: 17 May 2011)
well pluck up all my feathers and call me a duster.... I never thought I will see a Xoom owner
7. petermania (Posts: 4; Member since: 16 Mar 2012)
I love my xoom....underrated tablet if u ask me
8. Sniggly (Posts: 7113; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Aaand here is a perfect example of carrier interference in Android updates. The wifi only XOOM got ICS in December. The exact same tablet, albeit with an extra radio, gets the same update seven months later.
15. mynameisfyl (Posts: 8; Member since: 27 Feb 2012)
EXACTLY...I was wondering what all the hubub was about as I've had ICS on it for ages.
12. Harold1066 (Posts: 17; Member since: 01 Jun 2012)
Very nice, now we just need to see ICS on more devices. I love CM9 Alpha on my Touchpad.
13. ankrul2004 (Posts: 16; Member since: 21 Mar 2012)
My Xoom is the 3G/4G model but is currently being used as a WiFi device only since it is NOT connected with Big Red data plan. Will I still get the update?
14. imkyle (Posts: 1006; Member since: 18 Nov 2010)
You should be able to. I would imagine it will be OTA and if you're on WiFi or Big Red's service, it shouldn't make a difference.
18. Gcombs (Posts: 133; Member since: 22 Aug 2011)
Just hurry up my Razr is waiting for ICS...
19. jphillips63 (Posts: 180; Member since: 04 Jan 2012)
This isn't much of a surprise this tablet has been the worse purchase I've ever made and dealing with Moto I now understand why. Broken promises from day one when this was launched and then it was just a half baked product. The Xoom is old news and history there are much better tablets out there today and for half the cost to boot.
20. Skidro13 (Posts: 59; Member since: 27 Jul 2010)
i acctually really love my xoom. my mistake was buying a verizon device and expecting fast updates