Verizon's MiFi 2200 is your own personal Hotspot
If you have some interesting info that you'd like to share with us, feel free to Tip Us!
1. Legion (Posts: 397; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
That is pimp! An original Idea for once, how refreshing. Latency comes to mind however........
2. Dood (Posts: 269; Member since: 23 Mar 2009)
A wireless router is an original idea? Verizon already has similar products.
3. Maarek Stele (Posts: 24; Member since: 27 Aug 2008)
A wireless N router and N cards sound cheaper than a monthly data plan. Also, the Wifi connection is faster than EVDO still.
4. Legion (Posts: 397; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
No smartass, I meant running a wifi network off of an 3G CDMA connection.
8. heavybreathing (Posts: 276; Member since: 26 Feb 2009)
DAWG DAT BE PIMP! IMA CONNICT MY IPOD FONE TO IT!
9. IHuntInDE (Posts: 10; Member since: 31 Mar 2009)
Actually, you can already do this. Just buy the Cradlepoint MBR1000 and you can connect almost any (TMobile, Sprint, AT&T, or VZW) 3G USB or PCMCIA Express card to it. It also doubles as a connection from a WAN source too... The nice thing about this device would be that it is also a Cellphone, so you wouldn't have to buy 2 devices (Router and 3g modem). As for battery, Cradlepoint also sells a model similar to the MBR1000 that broadcasts a 3G connection over a LAN and runs on battery... Old News... new technology... = Verizon Wireless
11. Legion (Posts: 397; Member since: 12 Dec 2008)
IHuntInDE = Cradlepoint Employee Though I concede your point on the originator of the idea.
13. plawler (Posts: 1; Member since: 31 Mar 2009)
Sure, but not nearly as portable. That's the whole point here. Battery powered, portable WiFi network anywhere you go. ;o)
5. rgk (Posts: 1; Member since: 30 Mar 2009)
What would be the point of carrying one of these devices around??? I have been using my Nokia N95 as a portable hotspot for over a year now! All you need is the jokuspot software.
6. ICanAffordVZW (Posts: 123; Member since: 15 Dec 2008)
and would need to be on a carrier other than VZW...
14. cellularchloe (unregistered)
Exactly, none of the VZW models are supported...thus the need for this product from Verizon. I would try Joikuspot...but none of my phones are supported. That would be the point of carrying one of those devices around.
7. T-Money3000 (Posts: 244; Member since: 15 Dec 2007)
I wonder if they are going to increase the threshold to something higher than 5GB since more comps. will be using it at the same time.
15. DonLouie (Posts: 594; Member since: 22 Dec 2008)
Sprint will have thier's in the 2nd quarter of this year, according to the leaked roadmap. Now all we need is cost comparisons, like the femtocells, for you big red followers