Verizon's Galaxy Tab by Samsung announced

0. phoneArena 16 Sep 2010, 23:01 posted on

The Samsung Galaxy tab comes with a large 7" display, 1GHz hummingbird processor, dual camera with video chat, and will run on Android 2.2 Frofo...

posted on 20 Oct 2010, 01:48

1. 2lazy2login (unregistered)

PA, Also make sure to mention (when you find out) if the VZW model will be able to do voice calls like the EU model. I would sacrifice my hate of proprietary data conneciton and charging ports if I could use this as my phone and android tablet (as I talk less that 2 hours/month, but use a ton of data and messaging). Thanks!

posted on 17 Sep 2010, 00:14

2. 2lazyupdate (unregistered)

Update guys... again the American Consumer loses to corporate greed. Copied from Engadget b/c I didn't find it here : Bad news, folks: not only is the Sprint Samsung Galaxy Tab a 3G-only device, but Samsung just confirmed to us that telephony was cut out of the Tab for the US market. That means you won't be able to pair up a Bluetooth headset and use the Tab as a really large phone like you can on the Euro model. That's super lame -- telephony features might have been the only way the inevitable two-year carrier contract would have been justifiable. Suffice to say, we're even more curious to hear about official pricing now, but it doesn't look like we'll be getting it until Samsung and its carrier partners are good and ready. We'll let you know.

posted on 17 Sep 2010, 11:56

3. zerglisk (Posts: 544; Member since: 09 Feb 2010)

This is stupid. Why would they release the Galaxy Tab without Telephony ability and yet still put them on contract with four major cellular carriers!? $199 Wi-Fi only and I am sold. 3G and Wi-Fi version at $499+ with contract with AT&T or any others -> No Thanks.

posted on 17 Sep 2010, 12:52

4. Bolt (unregistered)

Bummer! The thing that makes the iPad a flash in the pan is the very same lmitiation since it doesn't replace anything. Why would anyone want to pay Verizon or any phone company money to have a device moderately larger than the Droid X (with significantly worse camera as compared) or one could get an iPad with a much larger screen (not that I would do that). I have the Droid X and love it! I think Verizon and Samsung are missing a really _HUGE_ opportunity to make in-roads on the iPad market - if only this device had the telephony capability. I guess you could use Google Voice and Skype to sort of bend the system but that would encourage me to spend even $199.

posted on 12 Oct 2010, 11:41

5. xpunx (unregistered)

NO PHONE NO DEAL... Bad move on Samsung's part... The Euro version has voice... Why not the US version... Don't want another toy... Looking for better useful gadgets that combine the old ones... Bluetooth is great... Skype only if I want... don't like getting forced into using it... So how will I call someone who doesn't have a shiny new toy?