Verizon to use Droid title for series of Android phones? AT&T to get the Sholes?
This article contains unofficial information.
Speaking of the Droid, a GSM version of the phone has made it past the FCC, with the radio bands needed for 3G service on AT&T. A GSM model had already been checked out by the Feds, but that version only had European 3G frequencies. Another interesting tidbit of info is that with the latest FCC documents, the GSM version of the phone is still referred to as the Sholes. So the million dollar question is, will a Motorola Sholes be coming to AT&T?
Motorola Droid A855 Preliminary Specifications
source: EngadgetMobile (Verizon), FCC via MobileCrunch (GSM Sholes)
1. Tagon42 (Posts: 9; Member since: 24 Oct 2009)
So based on this news and the one from yesterday it seems Verizon will launch The Droid and the Droid Eris on the same day, correct?
2. MrRihannaFenty (Posts: 15; Member since: 03 Sep 2009)
I HOPE THEY COME OUT WITH THE GSM VERSION cause i will love it on TMOBILE!!
4. scroffy (Posts: 40; Member since: 23 Aug 2009)
The tmobile version can be called "brickus" after the god of crappy networks and no service.
5. deschats (Posts: 193; Member since: 09 Jun 2009)
well no its not the sholes because if at&t were to get the sholes it would be named "useless".
6. johnolesen (Posts: 20; Member since: 17 Oct 2009)
i said the same thing on Engadget....This ISNT HAPPENING. The Moto Droid will be the Moto Droid and the HTC Eris will be the HTC Eris. There is no "Droid" Subdivision.
8. scroffy (Posts: 40; Member since: 23 Aug 2009)
kis android finally going to be worth a shit? The droid phones of the last year have sucked balls.
9. artz1986 (Posts: 453; Member since: 11 Mar 2009)
word on the street is this GSM variant is heading to latin america markets...
10. hmcougar09 (Posts: 137; Member since: 25 Jan 2009)
ATT needs to back off of Verizon's phones, until VZW gets the iPhone... they shouldn't any of Verizon's. That's totally unfair.
11. remixfa (Posts: 14080; Member since: 19 Dec 2008)
lol, VZW is getting the iphone. and the exclusivity is something they have to pay extra for to the manufacturer. they are not gonna pay extra for every phone that cpomes out.
12. tshow84 (Posts: 65; Member since: 11 Jun 2009)
PA loves to do this..."blah blah blah is coming to AT&T?" this phone is a verizon exclusive...those gsm bands are for canada or latin america just like every other phone thats an exclusive(i remember just a month or two ago they said the i8000L also known as the omnia ii was coming to at&t and it ended up being for latin america)...look for the update tommorow
13. vzwman (Posts: 385; Member since: 26 Oct 2009)
its the evasion of the droids eveyone rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn nnn