Verizon to offer texts to 911 by 2013
0. phoneArena 06 May 2012, 02:26 posted on
Verizon has announced that it selected TeleCommunication Systems to help it devise a system that will allow its customers to send SMS messages to 911; while Big Red suggests that you make a call to 911 first in the case of an emergency, for those who cannot do so texting is a viable alternative...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. GeekMovement (Posts: 1872; Member since: 09 Sep 2011)
That would be awesome to come to the other carriers as well. Great idea.
2. sportsinger75 (Posts: 71; Member since: 11 Nov 2011)
Awesome idea. I hope all carriers implement this. Great for situations where calling isn't an option or assistance is needed really quickly.
3. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
So useful since I need to call 911 so often......?
5. whothisperson (Posts: 102; Member since: 06 May 2012)
Did you even read the entire article before commenting.......? It shows a number of good situation where it can be useful. Hopefully you will be in one of them where you will not be able to call 911 and wish you had this service then you will understand.
8. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
I did, but how often are you going to be in one of those situations.
I think falling off my couch and dieing is more likely than me being in one of those situations!
11. Lucas777 (Posts: 2137; Member since: 06 Jan 2011)
well since there dont seem to be any negatives, why not?
4. Droid_X_Doug (Posts: 5993; Member since: 22 Dec 2010)
Once VZW's implementation is up and running, expect FCC to put irresistible pressure on the other carriers to have similar capability. Props to VZW for being first.
6. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
this wouldve been great to have 3 years ago in my hostage situation.
9. nnaatthhaannx2 (Posts: 820; Member since: 19 Oct 2011)
Was that a joke, or are you 4real?
That must have had been scary.
10. thedarkside (Posts: 652; Member since: 30 Apr 2012)
ok so it wasnt a hostage situation, but i did have this guy try and break into my house while i was home.