Verizon to begin closing its app store for BlackBerry and Android in January
0. phoneArena 05 Nov 2012, 15:47 posted on
Originally set up in 2010, VCast Apps, now known as Verizon Apps, served as an alternative place for subscribers to get applications...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. XPERIA-KNIGHT (unregistered)
More amazing news as verizon seems to over due it when it comes to bloatware on there phones.....
5. PAPINYC (banned) (Posts: 2315; Member since: 30 Jul 2011)
Agreed, I love Verizon but that VCast nonsense has been useless since they launched it; glad to see it go away.
2. androidornothing (Posts: 143; Member since: 26 Apr 2012)
Its called rooting your phone and removing all crap that Verizon forces on sexy phones. My Verizon Galaxy S3 is running official touchwiz Jelly Bean and does not have a single Verizon app. Thank you developer community.
Speaking on behalf of all Android homie users!!!
3. ghost7787 (Posts: 9; Member since: 20 Sep 2012)
I honestly haven't met too many people that use carrier apps. Good riddance!
4. AndroidShiz (Posts: 154; Member since: 08 Nov 2011)
What?? You mean this amazing idea didn't take off? What's this girky plaid wearing underwear world coming to? Next thing you know we'll be denied all the awesome pre-loaded apps that we all have come to love and cherish. I want to live in a world were reviews of carrier apps are negative zero in the Playstore and still are forced into our phones dagnabit!
6. longhairbilly (Posts: 66; Member since: 23 Aug 2010)
Wait, Verizon has an app store? Ah, the perks of owning a Nexus.
7. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Finally. Vcast apps were pretty goddamn useless anyway. About the only two useful ones were backup assistant and vz navigator, and the latter is only useful if you don't have or don't know about Google Maps and Navigation.
8. PotDragon (banned) (Posts: 214; Member since: 22 Jul 2011)
Isn't it 2012? Anyone who doesn't know about Google Maps is completely lost anyway!
Next, vzw should close their horrific customer service department. Just grab some random homeless dudes off the street and start from scratch. Shrug....couldn't be worse.
9. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Their customer service is actually pretty good. They're consistent in their policies and procedures, and at least I can f**king understand them and they me.
12. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
yeah, that's a good idea for them after dancing with T-Mobile for JD Power's best customer satisfaction awards for all these years...
10. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i think the only useful ones are My Verizon and Backup Assistant.
13. metalpoet (unregistered)
Yeah but myverizon is down half the time and sometimes will try and say that your number isnt even registered, and backup assistance was useful when it was just for contacts, now theyve expanded to other media and wants to charge for more memory, another way fro verizonto take my money for another 2 years simply because Verizon is the only thing that works in southern utah FML!
16. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5710; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i don't use My Verizon that much but when i do i don't have any problem with it and if you don't want Backup Assistant Plus opt out of it. it's not hard you know. it's a click on your "Change Features" page on the web or in the My Verizon app. quit whining, especially if the service is good for you.
18. ReallyEhly (Posts: 13; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
Yeah, I need to say. I never understood the reasoning behind the VCAST Apps. I understand having your product be promoted and known but it truly was "bloatware." Just leave Backup Assistant.
19. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 883; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
Now hopefully they'll get rid of back up assistant so it doesn't try to load every half hours..
20. ReallyEhly (Posts: 13; Member since: 23 Mar 2012)
You can just change that in the settings right?
21. Reluctant_Human (Posts: 883; Member since: 28 Jun 2012)
I wish. It will still prompt you for a password repeatedly. Only way I found to get rid of it is rooting the phone.