Verizon sending out texts to alert Droid RAZR owners of impending ICS update
0. phoneArena 15 Jun 2012, 12:05 posted on
After several false starts, official text messages suggest that Verizon is close to rolling out Android 4.0 updates to Droid RAZR and RAZR MAXX handsets...
This is a discussion for a news. To read the whole news, click here
1. InspectorGadget80 (unregistered)
While us ATRIX BIONIC DROID 4 update will be later this summer. never again buy Motorola phones
4. Sniggly (Posts: 7305; Member since: 05 Dec 2009)
Except you don't see anyone else really getting updates out any sooner, do you?
It's not Motorola's fault, it's Verizon's. Notice how the Wifi only XOOM got ICS literally the next month after ICS was released? When did the Verizon version get it? Oh that's right, just a few weeks ago.
The HTC Vivid and T-Mobile's phones are the only other phones to really get ICS so far. It's really the carriers dropping the ball here.
6. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
there's plenty of Samsungs and HTCs that won't be updated until later this summer too, it's immature to set a company on a higher standard than everybody else just because you're counting on them to deliver the goods.
12. roscuthiii (Posts: 2190; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
I look at it like this: When I bought my phone (Razr Maxx) it had Gingerbread. I have no expectation of Motorola/Verizon other than the OS it came with being supported with bug fixes as necessary. Getting ICS is just icing on the cake.
20. kanonk (Posts: 14; Member since: 21 Dec 2011)
Dude, ICS was promised when it launched. So its not icing.
16. dodo1234 (Posts: 37; Member since: 06 Nov 2011)
Its not MOTOs fault, this update to ICS is a huge jump for Android. gingerbread was using the 2,6 kinux kernel, ICS will b using the 3.1 kernel, thats not something MOTO or any of the manufacturers r taking lightly when updating the software. This is y its so much easier to just buy an ICS phone with it already installed.
18. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 215; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
no it would be the ice cream on the cake ;)
edit: meant to be in response to comment 12
2. DigitalBoy05 (Posts: 215; Member since: 04 Jun 2011)
the razr is a newer and more popular device so it makes perfect sense that it gets the update first. patience is a virtue my friend.
3. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
I have a DROID 4 and I'm not too upset with Moto. As long as the update comes out within a few weeks of the RAZR i'll be content.
5. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
Why won't the Verizon im app works on ics while many old apps runs fine ?
7. thelegend6657 (unregistered)
But that's okay one less bloat to deal with
9. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i have received no such text. it doesn't really matter to me anyway i guess because the .84 build i'm running isn't fastbootable. i think i will flash the .211 build that was found on cheesecake this morning. being that Verizon sent a text out to Razr owners about an ICS update on the same day could mean that it's the OTA.
14. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i wouldn't be able to tell you or sure until the official OTA goes out. leaks have been gushing out from cheesecake for the past few days so that might mean that they're just ironing out the minor kinks before sending out a build to be the OTA. it might very well be the .211 from this morning or maybe it'll be a .212 or .213, i probably won't even be able to tell the difference.
19. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
going from .84 to .211 i noticed some minor aesthetic changes, it's been pushed from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4, performance is spruced up a little and by that i mean it still feels pretty much as fast as before but that little delay i got used to unlocking the screen and bringing up the recent apps list is gone, i have Global Roaming Support now, Color comes preloaded and the Temple Run bugs are gone now.
22. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
okay, i think there is actually a little bug in .211. i've noticed a few times that my indicator light will flash like i have a notification even though i don't. that could drive me a little crazy if i don't find a fix for that.
13. networkdood (Posts: 6330; Member since: 31 Mar 2010)
I am going to switch to the leaked ICS builds soon...I reverted back to .181 for now.
11. mas11 (Posts: 1034; Member since: 30 Mar 2012)
Is it sad that I'm going to miss Motorola's signature dark blue status bar that made their phones stand out?
15. KingKurogiii (Posts: 5711; Member since: 23 Oct 2011)
i liked it too but i like the black with the blue accents more.
17. roscuthiii (Posts: 2190; Member since: 18 Jul 2010)
VZW is definitely working on something... My 4G connection is sporadic ever since I got the text.
24. jbreault (Posts: 25; Member since: 04 Mar 2012)
oh ya just be for that put it to us they give us a update how nice of them the family plans of death lol